Your covid predictions for Cambodia 2021

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
popping in
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Your covid predictions for Cambodia 2021

Post by popping in »

TWY wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:58 pm
popping in wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:34 am
TWY wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:40 am Hopefully it will be a quiet year.

Just one dumb guy's opinion that Cambodia did have some infections previously.
But the overall youth, living outdoors (relatively speaking), lack of a lot of packed public transportation, low population density, and the fact the initial virus was contagious but not as much as it supposedly is when it migrated through Europe to North America - all contributed to a low number of reported infections. Of course, when you hardly test anyone you will have a low number of reported cases.

Since those that know say the virus has mutated and is much more contagious than it was initially I'd expect most countries without infections to be very cautious about opening up. Looks like Europe and US and parts of Latin America are seeing rising cases and its only October. Can only hope Cambodia manages to avoid this - though recent reported events like the idiot running around SR certainly doesn't build confidence.

Its really amazing how this virus has damaged the way of life of billions of people. I think 2021 will be another long year unfortunately.
It's only me who believes that is it ? There must be other dumbsters out there ?

Btw, the whole remaining part of your paragraph seems to support the view of the dumb guy you're criticising. You can't call me dumb for believing that Cambodiia previously had infections, and then go on to explain yourself that there were infections and giving reasons why they didn't have the effect they did elsewhere. Well, you can obviously, but it's a bit weird. You're basically calling me dumb for saying something and then saying the same thing yourself from the looks of it.

You also reach the same conclusion as me !! haha. Of course, I also share your wish that Cambodia continues to avoid the worst of this, and I keep my fingers very firmly crossed that that is the case. I'm pretty confident on Cambodia's behalf based on what's happened to date (I take the point about the virus mutating but there were deaths in Wuhan right from the start), but I agree that
you can't be too careful.
---------

I wasn't referencing you nor calling you any names. I was replying to the original post and since I was offering my prediction (which will undoubtedly be wrong) I was referencing myself as "one dumb guy".
Apologies. I got completely the wrong end of the stick. Sorry for that.
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Post by Cambo Dear »

I think that the scenario stated in the opening post whereby a combination of Cambodia's low median age, their relatively low rates or obesity and hardy constitutions will make death rates even lower than the 2% seen elsewhere. At some point the effects from decimated economies will be more of a problem than the virus - just depends when this is accepted by the Govt and the international community.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Borders open by December.

Normalcy by next May.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

The WHO is now stating publicly that lockdowns are not the answer and in fact detrimental, especially in the poorer populations.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Cambodia will wait to see what Vietnam and Thailand do.
Then, those in the competent positions that want some progress will draw up some plans to open the borders. If Vietnam gets back towards normal in March, add two months....
Then, those who are hurting due loss of semi legitimate revenues will try to get it revised. Add some adjustment for bureaucratic process....
Then, those who are benefitting from the problems caused by what's happening now will impede or influence will impede and manipulate....

$10 in the bar kitty, on June for some relaxation/improvement
popping in
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by popping in »

canucklhead wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:55 pm The WHO is now stating publicly that lockdowns are not the answer and in fact detrimental, especially in the poorer populations.
i get the impression that they say whatever they think will piss national governments off the most tbh.

everything everyone does seems to be wrong in their book except for themselves who are quite content to sit in their ivory towers happily knowing it all.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Have a read of this, it might help along the prodictions.

The road of the world is far away - the "Belt and Road" in the war "epidemic" and overseas Chinese enterprises to highlight the value of global public products.

(Xinhua News Agency reporter Qi Zijian Shangxuan) The new crown epidemic is raging, human society is faced with a major choice: isolation or cooperation, hand in hand or "decoupling"?
In 2020, as the global new crown outbreak darkens, one force is resilient and active. It conveys warmth with the flow of "bright lines"; It is the power of the Belt and Road And overseas Chinese companies.

This is the journey of the West East without asking, this is through the cold and summer to adhere to, this is the fate and the common responsibility. The "Belt and Road" in the war "epidemic" and overseas Chinese enterprises for the global snow to send carbon, with many countries and countless people to face the difficulties together, hand in hand forward.
As the "Health Silk Road" epidemic ravaged Germany,
the West German Report website published a photo of four Chinese and German staff members in yellow safety vests and helmets smiling a few metres away. This is the first warm-hearted situation for a freight train from Wuhan after the outbreak in Duisburg, Germany.

This ordinary work photo is popular in Germany. The newspaper S?nder made a special description. At that time, German protective materials were in high demand, and Chinese trains were delivering much-needed supplies. According to German journalist Marcus Balzer, this is due to the great development of the Central European class brought about by the Belt and Road.

In a telephone call with Italian Prime Minister Antonio Conte in March, President Xi Jinping stressed that China is ready to work with china to contribute to international cooperation in combating the epidemic and building a "healthy Silk Road". The important propositions of China's leaders play an important leading role in enhancing world confidence, strengthening global cooperation and promoting the development of human health.

Facts have proved that the shift from the east brings protection and care, and increases confidence and momentum for the war "epidemic" along the route. On the vast continent of Asia and Europe, "Yuxin Europe", "Yixin Europe" and "Chang'an" each central European flight through Kazakhstan, Russia, Belarus and other countries, the goods are also allocated to France, Hungary, the Czech Republic, Poland and other countries. In the first half of this year, The Central European class opened a total of 5122 columns, a sharp increase of 36% yoY!

Hendrik Uist, north of the state's transport minister and one of the people pictured in Duisburg, said: "Our people are facing an outbreak... The materials brought from China by railway, especially medical supplies, are of particular importance. "

China stands for what it says and says. China's plan, steady and far away. This "healthy Silk Road", not only across the East and West, wind and rain, two-way load, mutual benefit and win-win "great artery" leap, but also a flashing humanitarian glory of the warm bright spots -

In war-torn Iraq, where the health care system is weak, China's nucleic acid testing laboratory was set up at a critical time. Mohammad Mehdi, the lab's Director of Iraq, said the Chinese aid program played a key role in helping to detect cases and fight the outbreak.

In Brazil, the outbreak-hit South American country, a green channel for Chinese-funded goods donations played an important role, and the Ladong truck factory in Rio Grande do S.C. installed a Chinese-made infrared thermal imaging system, said Mateus Panio, the plant's director. Greba employees said that Chinese enterprises aside not only ensure the safety of the company's operations, but also actively work with the local people to fight the epidemic, which is a memorable memory.
"A new era has arrived." Massimo Palenti, an expert at the Lorenzo Medich Institute of International Relations in Italy, lamented that becoming the first G7 country to sign a Memorandum of Understanding with China on the Belt and Road Is the right decision for Italy and that the Belt and Road Must do much in the field of public health.

The new life of the old state, the new journey of the ancient road. In the joint efforts to build the "Healthy Silk Road", the Chinese people of China and the people of the world are more closely linked.

The rekindling of the "Fire of Hope"
new crown epidemic has wreaked havoc around the world and has claimed more than 800,000 lives. The World Bank predicts that the global economy will decline by 5.2% in 2020, the "worst recession since World War II".

Epidemic prevention and control is facing difficulties, the economic situation is in danger;

At a critical moment, overseas Chinese companies
are not afraid of the wind and rain, in order to stick to and fight to light up hope - in the vast Gobi, China's Egyptian Teda Suez Economic and Trade Cooperation Zone, the sudden outbreak did not give cooperation to press the "stop button." Investment continues to be attracted, which will provide a model for local re-employment and employment.

The Jingang Expressway, which connects Phnom Penh, Cambodia's capital, with Sihanouk Port, has begun to take shape by crossing field hills. The builders of China Road and Bridge are doing their utmost to fight the outbreak and ensure the construction of this "Cambodia Economic Development Highway" smoothly. Cambodian Prime Minister HE said the Jingang Expressway strategy is of great significance and will make an important contribution to Cambodia's economic growth.

At the Yawan High-speed Railway in Indonesia, the Red Line Light Rail in Tel Aviv, Israel, the Lao Middle-Old Railway, the Kondocriev and Rabarankosa hydroelectric power stations in Argentina, the port city of Colombo, Sri Lanka, male Villana International Airport in maldives... During the war "epidemic" period, chinese builders are still busy all over the world, with the local people to fight the epidemic, joint construction, they with excellent technology and courage to assume, go all out to ensure the smooth progress of the project, the body to interpret the concept of the community of human destiny.

At a critical moment, the efforts
of overseas Chinese companies have reached the hearts of the people, bringing warmth and strength - warmth and strength from the burst of clean tap water in the village of Sifenbu in The African province of Carinda, Angola, where water is scarce for generations. The builders of the Angolan company of China Railway Construction Group risked infection, overcame difficult conditions, and resumed work against the epidemic with both hands, only to give the locals an early drink of clean water. The Kabinda water supply system is Angola's largest water supply project under construction, covering 92 per cent of the population of the province of Carinda, and will directly benefit 600,000 people when completed, while providing thousands of local jobs and promoting social stability.

At the Putram coal-fired power station in Sri Lanka, warmth and strength came from the steady and orderly lighting of thousands of homes during the outbreak. The Putram coal-fired power station, built by a Chinese company, is Sri Lanka's first coal-fired power station, and its images are printed on Sri Lankan banknotes, supplying more than 40 per cent of the country's electricity. In order to ensure the normal operation during the outbreak, all members of the operation and operation team from China are on the front line around the clock, while actively assisting the local fight against the epidemic and supporting the resumption of local work.

Ensemble "Win-Win Symphony" in
the global fight against the epidemic at a critical moment, some countries "retreat" to build walls, "shake the pot" blame, the virus stigmatization, the outbreak politicized. China, on the other hand, is facing the global crisis and constantly promoting the construction of an open world economy. "Belt and Road" and other global public products and Chinese enterprises with the world wind and rain, to contribute to the harvest of results, deeply in the hearts of the people, to win a reputation.

China's actions are the responsibility of responsible powers and are on the right side of history.

Why can China do that? Increasingly, the international community has become a community of destiny for you and me, a starting point for China's actions and a direction for international cooperation, and will continue to open up new space in the face of new situations.

On June 18, the "Belt and Road" high-level video conference on international cooperation was held in Beijing, and President Xi Jinping, in a written message, spoke of a series of profound revelations brought about by the outbreak, noting in particular that the destiny of all countries is closely linked and that mankind is a community of destiny in the same boat. Whether it is to deal with the epidemic or to restore the economy, we must take the road of unity and cooperation, we should adhere to multilateralism.

President Xi stressed that we are ready to work with our partners to make the Belt and Road Road a road of cooperation that unites to meet challenges, a healthy path to safeguard people's health and safety, a road to recovery that promotes economic and social recovery, and a road to growth that unlocks the potential for development. Through high-quality co-construction of the Belt and Road, work together to promote the construction of a community of human destiny.

China stands for building broad consensus and has received a positive response from the world.

WHO Director-General Tan Desser said China's advocacy of the "Healthy Silk Road" and the "Digital Silk Road" shows how important it is to innovate forms of cooperation to address our common challenges.

Charles Onunaiju, director of the Center for Chinese Studies in Nigeria, said President Xi Jinping's important proposals have left African countries confident of overcoming the outbreak. Deep participation in building the Belt and Road Initiative is of great significance for African countries to achieve economic recovery and sustainable development in the "post-epidemic era", and this initiative, which is based on the principle of co-construction and sharing, will become an important mechanism for coordinating the efforts of all countries and jointly addressing challenges.

Jose Luis Santria, president of the Spanish Communist Party, suggested the Belt and Road Initiative as the basic framework for addressing global economic uncertainty in the post-epidemic era. He said the Belt and Road Initiative, the "biggest international cooperation project in history," would help countries around the world overcome the crisis.

During the war, China held high-level video conferences with countries and international organizations on several continents to discuss ways to meet the challenges and cooperation, build a community of human destiny consensus continued to consolidate, pragmatic cooperation continued to strengthen the foundation, and the global governance space continued to expand.

Together in the same boat, fate and common. China's contribution to global public products and the struggle of Chinese enterprises around the world, with cooperation, adherence, endeavor and "intellectual creation" to bring universal benefits to the world, showing the pattern orientation of the world, highlighting the spirit of courage to move forward, shoulder the lofty mission of win-win situation with the world.
Health and prosperity are the eternal hopes of mankind. China has injected more certainty into an uncertain world through the concept and actions of co-construction and sharing.
"Efforts to contribute to the world's early victory over the epidemic and the recovery of the world economy" is China's solemn commitment to the world, and "efforts to nurture new opportunities in the crisis and open new situations in the changing situation" are China's firm actions for the future and a powerful force for world peace and development. (Participating journalists: Ren Wei, Li Jie, Zhang Weihua, Zhao Wei, Cao Xue, Mao Pengfei, Tang Wei, Chen Junman, Liu Qu, Wu Danni)
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

popping in wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:25 pm I think the idea that Covid has not been in Cambodia is completely fanciful. There were people coming and going from China on a daily basis until April !

It seems obvious to me that it has been there just as it has been most other places, but for some unknown reason it is not as dangerous in Cambodia as it is elsewhere. I don't see anything changing in 2021.
Theres probably been other similar viruses inside cambodia which gives the local population some immunity.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

^^^
I propositioned that idea not long ago, Matty, in the discussions about the most closely related virus that has yet been found.
Spoiler:
(in bats, in Cambodia. But Shhh.. the PM is trying to hose down any talk about that - right now as we speak)
I meant it as a bit of a light hearted long-shot possibility, but it may in fact be a possible explanation.
??
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:39 pm Borders open by December.

Normalcy by next May.
I vote for this scenario. :mrgreen:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic