Yes or no, can I (and others in my situation) get into Cambodia this year ?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Yes or no, can I (and others in my situation) get into Cambodia this year ?

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

The biggest hurdle for you would be obtaining the E-type (Ordinary) Visa in advance from.a Cambodian Embassy, most of them are applying strict supporting documentation now due to all of the people applying with fake/fraudulent Offer of employment letters etc.

If you manage to successfully obtain an E-type Visa and get into Cambodia, then you can apply for an EG (General) Extension of Stay which requires no supporting documentation.

But as you said, you have no real reason to need to travel to Cambodia, so I'd strongly suggest you wait until the current restrictions and requirements are eased.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/333901840112789/
popping in
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by popping in »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:33 pm The biggest hurdle for you would be obtaining the E-type (Ordinary) Visa in advance from.a Cambodian Embassy, most of them are applying strict supporting documentation now due to all of the people applying with fake/fraudulent Offer of employment letters etc.

If you manage to successfully obtain an E-type Visa and get into Cambodia, then you can apply for an EG (General) Extension of Stay which requires no supporting documentation.

But as you said, you have no real reason to need to travel to Cambodia, so I'd strongly suggest you wait until the current restrictions and requirements are eased.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/333901840112789/
Many thanks indeed for your reply.

Just to clarify then, even if the intention is to turn the E visa into an EG (general/looking for work) visa, an Employment Letter is needed to obtain the original E visa ?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Yea pretty much...but it all depends on which Embassy you are applying for your Visa from, as each Embassy seem to be applying different levels of criteria, a few have been very lenient ie. the Cambodian Embassy in Seoul was issuing E-type Visas to people with no supporting documentation, others however are very strict.

Best thing to do is contact the Embassy that you will be applying to in order to confirm what their requirements are.

P.S. Cambodian Embassies still tend to incorrectly refer to the E-type Visa as a business Visa.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

popping in wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:23 pm
daeum_tnaot wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:52 pm
popping in wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:54 pm I'm now devoting way too much time to this, when it seems quite likely to be a dead end anyway, and when the more I read the more complicated I think the whole thing is. So I would at least like to find out if possible, am I wasting my time completely in pursuing/investigating this further.

I am asking on behalf of myself, but also on behalf of others who may be in the same boat.

If you want to provide more information than yes or no that would be brilliant, but if I'm not too greedy about the information I ask for, I'm more optimistic about getting feedback that's going to at least point me in the right general direction.

For some background I have always had tourist visa or ordinary visa on arrival previously. I know almost nothing about E visas and the more I read about them the more confused I get. I am particularly concerned that people seem to be suggesting that E visas can no longer be extended beyond 30 days without company tax patent and various other documents which I would very likely not have.

So here's my situation:

* I don't have a job in Cambodia
* Maybe I could get an 'employment letter' if I looked into it but that would be it I should imagine. There would be no tax patent, blah blah blah available to me.
* I have taken no steps so far in relation to this matter (visa, employment letter, insurance)
* I am from the UK
* If I go to Cambodia, then I would want to stay for at least 3 months (unless a border opened up). I do not want to fly out there for 30 days and then come back to UK
* I am going to rule out overstaying my visa as an option
- I have no contacts in Cambodia that would be likely to be of any use in relation to this matter, and have to be realistic in terms of finances

Please yes or no (with any additional information also very gratefully received), is it possible for me to go to Cambodia this year (and stay for 3 months) ?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH INDEED :)
Just two things to consider that may help you:

I believe it used to be possible to get a retirement visa even if you were just 50 and up, of course there were income requirements, but it may apply to you.

Also, there is the EG visa which is for "looking for work". Unless things have changed recently, this visa is still available for a six month extension from your original entry on an E type visa. I.e. total of 7 months.
Aha. I think you might be on to something here. I think the patent stuff only applies if the extension you're applying for is an EB extension. I've never had an EB visa so I think I can get an EG extension. You might have cracked it there.

But I'm sure I've seen people saying you need a letter of invitation in order to get the original E visa. Why would a company send you a letter of invitation, if you're going to go there and look for work (presumably with another firm) ?

I'm usually much better organised than this. I can't even remember how I found this link, but the following document (issued August 2020):

https://www.embassyofcambodiadc.org/emb ... o-cambodia

appears to me to state that Cambodia is welcoming people (and therefore presumably issuing visas to them ?) from each of the following categories:

I) "foreign travellers...who are sponsored"
II) "foreign travellers...who have not been sponsored but invited"
III) "foreign travellers who are investors-business persons, company staffs, experts, skilled workers, technicians and family members, without being either sponsored or invited"
IV) "other regular foreign travellers planning to travel to Cambodia..."

So what's the benefit in being invited or sponsored ??

EDIT: I THINK that document was issued in August. It MIGHT have been issued in April (not sure on the date format). It is linked here though which was updated in August: https://www.embassyofcambodiadc.org/how ... -visa.html

DISCLAIMER: I do not have a clue what I'm talking about. DO NOT TAKE ANY GUIDANCE FROM MY POSTS ON THIS SUBJECT

Ok good, you may be able to make it work. Other on here are more up to date on the latest rules, but I can say that:

-having had an EB extension before doesn’t prevent you from getting an EG one. I had EB before and then left the country and got an EG one.
-as you mention the key then is getting the “ordinary” visa when you arrive. As you are a Uk citizen that helps. However, last time I got mine I came overland which obviously you won’t be and they may be more strict at the airport.
-regarding the link you cited, I wouldn’t try to decipher what they’re saying but it may be better to see what people say on forums like this or on Facebook.
-there is a Facebook group called ‘Cambodia Visa and Work Permit’ where there is a strong likelihood you can get an answer to your question. They are discussing questions like yours all the time.

Just as a final, you could even pursue a student visa in theory and schools in Cambodia are usually quite affordable! : )
popping in
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by popping in »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:33 am
popping in wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:23 pm
daeum_tnaot wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:52 pm
popping in wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:54 pm I'm now devoting way too much time to this, when it seems quite likely to be a dead end anyway, and when the more I read the more complicated I think the whole thing is. So I would at least like to find out if possible, am I wasting my time completely in pursuing/investigating this further.

I am asking on behalf of myself, but also on behalf of others who may be in the same boat.

If you want to provide more information than yes or no that would be brilliant, but if I'm not too greedy about the information I ask for, I'm more optimistic about getting feedback that's going to at least point me in the right general direction.

For some background I have always had tourist visa or ordinary visa on arrival previously. I know almost nothing about E visas and the more I read about them the more confused I get. I am particularly concerned that people seem to be suggesting that E visas can no longer be extended beyond 30 days without company tax patent and various other documents which I would very likely not have.

So here's my situation:

* I don't have a job in Cambodia
* Maybe I could get an 'employment letter' if I looked into it but that would be it I should imagine. There would be no tax patent, blah blah blah available to me.
* I have taken no steps so far in relation to this matter (visa, employment letter, insurance)
* I am from the UK
* If I go to Cambodia, then I would want to stay for at least 3 months (unless a border opened up). I do not want to fly out there for 30 days and then come back to UK
* I am going to rule out overstaying my visa as an option
- I have no contacts in Cambodia that would be likely to be of any use in relation to this matter, and have to be realistic in terms of finances

Please yes or no (with any additional information also very gratefully received), is it possible for me to go to Cambodia this year (and stay for 3 months) ?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH INDEED :)
Just two things to consider that may help you:

I believe it used to be possible to get a retirement visa even if you were just 50 and up, of course there were income requirements, but it may apply to you.

Also, there is the EG visa which is for "looking for work". Unless things have changed recently, this visa is still available for a six month extension from your original entry on an E type visa. I.e. total of 7 months.
Aha. I think you might be on to something here. I think the patent stuff only applies if the extension you're applying for is an EB extension. I've never had an EB visa so I think I can get an EG extension. You might have cracked it there.

But I'm sure I've seen people saying you need a letter of invitation in order to get the original E visa. Why would a company send you a letter of invitation, if you're going to go there and look for work (presumably with another firm) ?

I'm usually much better organised than this. I can't even remember how I found this link, but the following document (issued August 2020):

https://www.embassyofcambodiadc.org/emb ... o-cambodia

appears to me to state that Cambodia is welcoming people (and therefore presumably issuing visas to them ?) from each of the following categories:

I) "foreign travellers...who are sponsored"
II) "foreign travellers...who have not been sponsored but invited"
III) "foreign travellers who are investors-business persons, company staffs, experts, skilled workers, technicians and family members, without being either sponsored or invited"
IV) "other regular foreign travellers planning to travel to Cambodia..."

So what's the benefit in being invited or sponsored ??

EDIT: I THINK that document was issued in August. It MIGHT have been issued in April (not sure on the date format). It is linked here though which was updated in August: https://www.embassyofcambodiadc.org/how ... -visa.html

DISCLAIMER: I do not have a clue what I'm talking about. DO NOT TAKE ANY GUIDANCE FROM MY POSTS ON THIS SUBJECT

Ok good, you may be able to make it work. Other on here are more up to date on the latest rules, but I can say that:

-having had an EB extension before doesn’t prevent you from getting an EG one. I had EB before and then left the country and got an EG one.
-as you mention the key then is getting the “ordinary” visa when you arrive. As you are a Uk citizen that helps. However, last time I got mine I came overland which obviously you won’t be and they may be more strict at the airport.
-regarding the link you cited, I wouldn’t try to decipher what they’re saying but it may be better to see what people say on forums like this or on Facebook.
-there is a Facebook group called ‘Cambodia Visa and Work Permit’ where there is a strong likelihood you can get an answer to your question. They are discussing questions like yours all the time.

Just as a final, you could even pursue a student visa in theory and schools in Cambodia are usually quite affordable! : )
Cheers. :thumb:

There's no visas on arrival though man haha.

Thanks for the heads up about the fbook group, which others have mentioned as well.

I did do a little more research and from the looks of it, as others have suggested on here, an employment letter is needed for an E visa through the embassy. That seems to be the main hurdle to anyone going down that route from what I can see as it now that it appears that my concerns about the tax patent were unfounded, due to the EG extension option.

Student thing's a good idea as well !!. Maybe I could actually learn some Khmer !

Personally I'm likely parking this for now but might come back to it in a couple of weeks if I'm out of ideas on where to go when it's getting cold !

Thanks again.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

@daeum_tnaot Visas on Arrival are not available, they have been suspended since March. Visas can only be obtained in advance from a Cambodian Embassy.
WizBall
Expatriate
Mauritius

Post by WizBall »

I’m going to add to the discussion as I am flying to Cambodia in a few weeks from London. I missed the birth of my daughter in June because of the corona restrictions and the general confusion at the time. I had nine weeks holiday arranged so it was agonising that I was not in Cambodia To be with my family. Anyway I decided I had to come back about a month ago to meet the little one. So with a little help from some people here (thanks Doc!) and research I managed to secure my visa.

All I can say if you have a legitimate reason including a family reason they will issue you a visa. The only proof I had was the birth certificate with my name on and various photos of my relationship with my partner over the last 9 years. Also showing the previous years of Visas I had in old passports was further evidence. I think the main thing the Ambassador at the embassy want to know is that you are not going for a holiday or leisure.

My visa was issued to me in under two hours from start to finish and the guy there was top notch. Anything else I can add or any other questions please let me know.

Cheers
popping in
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by popping in »

WizBall wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:20 pm I’m going to add to the discussion as I am flying to Cambodia in a few weeks from London. I missed the birth of my daughter in June because of the corona restrictions and the general confusion at the time. I had nine weeks holiday arranged so it was agonising that I was not in Cambodia To be with my family. Anyway I decided I had to come back about a month ago to meet the little one. So with a little help from some people here (thanks Doc!) and research I managed to secure my visa.

All I can say if you have a legitimate reason including a family reason they will issue you a visa. The only proof I had was the birth certificate with my name on and various photos of my relationship with my partner over the last 9 years. Also showing the previous years of Visas I had in old passports was further evidence. I think the main thing the Ambassador at the embassy want to know is that you are not going for a holiday or leisure.

My visa was issued to me in under two hours from start to finish and the guy there was top notch. Anything else I can add or any other questions please let me know.

Cheers
Many congratulations on the birth of your daughter. Have a wonderful time with your family in Cambodia.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:06 pm @daeum_tnaot Visas on Arrival are not available, they have been suspended since March. Visas can only be obtained in advance from a Cambodian Embassy.
Ok great, thanks.

Still think OP would be better off addressing this to visa and work permit Facebook group.
popping in
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by popping in »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:26 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:06 pm @daeum_tnaot Visas on Arrival are not available, they have been suspended since March. Visas can only be obtained in advance from a Cambodian Embassy.
Ok great, thanks.

Still think OP would be better off addressing this to visa and work permit Facebook group.
I've got all the answers I'm looking for for now at least. Thanks to you and others for the input.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic