Parasites Cause Cambodian Man's "Elephant Foot"

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Parasites Cause Cambodian Man's "Elephant Foot"

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Man's Leg Swelled To Size Of Pig After Getting Bitten By Mosquito
Jess Hardiman
Published 13:37, Thursday 08 October 2020 BST
The leg of a man in Cambodia has swollen to the size of a pig, after his mosquito bites became infected more than two decades ago and caused the limb to balloon.
Bong Thet, 27, now has to drag his leg along the ground painfully as he tries to move around his family home in Kampong Chhnang province.

Having once dreamed of being a footballer, Bong has not been able to kick a ball properly since he was six years old, when the tumour first started developing.

It began to grow from small wounds on his foot, which his parents had ignored as they believed they were merely scratches from playing outside.
Businesswoman Dana Try gave 10,000,000 Cambodia Riel (around $2,500 / £1,900), which paid for his medical expenses, meaning Bong was able to visit a hospital for the first time.

At hospital, doctors checked Bong's blood and found that he has Lymphatic filariasis, a parasitic disease caused by thread-like worms.

They said it was possible that he contracted the parasites from mosquito bites, which were scratched and then bled, leading to the wounds.

The condition is one of the leading causes of disability in the world, but there is no known vaccine or cure for the disease yet.

Bong was disheartened when he learned that the disease was incurable, but he was still incredibly grateful to those who had donated money to his cause.

He said: ''This will make my life easier and knowing that there are people who care for me makes me feel happy.
''I am so grateful for them to helping. They money will pay for medicine and food.
''I will continue to take the medication given to me by the doctors which will make my life more comfortable.''
https://www.ladbible.com/news/news-mans ... o-20201008
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Parasites Cause Cambodian Man's "Elephant Foot"

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Fuck!

Poor guy
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

That's rough. If there's no cure, wouldn't it make the most sense at this stage to amputate the leg? I know that nobody wants to cut off one of their limbs, but when you're literally dragging a fucking 'pig' around all the time, wouldn't your quality of life be improved by just getting rid of it altogether? :bad:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

It's curable in the early stages, but not sure what can be done when waiting this long. The issue is you need a good tropical disease doctor and carefully selected medical course.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
mehfisto
BANNED
Australia

Post by mehfisto »

We never realise how fortunate we are until we see others in terrible situations like this.

I saw a guy last night, terribly bowed legs, walking along the road, smiling at people as though everything was rosy.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic