Never felt like so cut off from the world

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Teddy1
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Never felt like so cut off from the world

Post by Teddy1 »

Your not alone, everyone I talk to is feeling the same. My friends in England, Canada, Zambia and the States, all feeling cut off.
It cant go on forever...
And this too shall pass
My entire life can be summed up in one sentence:
"Well that didnt go as planned".
monomial
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by monomial »

Big Daikon wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:27 am We hand out pistols at the immigration counter.

"Here's your 45, sir. Welcome to America!"
Don't exaggerate. That only happens if you fly into DFW.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:44 pm Missus keeps me from losing the plot on daily basis.
Probably the only thing from keeping me from losing the plot. Otherwise oppressive loneliness.

Love to hear her preparing for life in western world - exercising like a gym rat, preparing for beauty photo shoot, refresher course in driving an automobile, looking into firearms training. All the while whining that she’s doing ‘nothing’.

Hang in there everyone!
There must be an ending at some point in time!
Photo shoot and firearms training?
The mind boggles.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Samdech opened up a range to train Okhnas on firearms instead of relying on just their bodyguards for protection. Instructors from well known places like Gunsite was to staff it. Covid shut down that idea.

The other places are RCAF shops for tourists wanting to play with guns. Or throw a grenade. Or shoot a cow with an RPG. (Before the queen forbid it). All while drinking beers. Useless for solid firearms training. Told her to wait until she arrives. Then can start with the basics, starting with safety. Texas gives all it’s citizens the option for responsible firearm ownership. We welcome all fleeing expats. No state income tax as well.

The loneliness continues. Another day of no phone call for visa interview. Instead the ambassador is riding a Harley and eating Mike’s Burgers.

(Tears hair out)
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

Speaking of "never felt so cut off from the world". How many decades has it been since "the missus" and "the wife" were the terminology of the day? Females are still property in 2020? Maybe in Cambodia.
Teddy1
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Teddy1 »

cambo swa wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:45 am Speaking of "never felt so cut off from the world". How many decades has it been since "the missus" and "the wife" were the terminology of the day? Females are still property in 2020? Maybe in Cambodia.
[quote
My bf calls me "His lady"
A sentiment that melts my heart.
My entire life can be summed up in one sentence:
"Well that didnt go as planned".
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Teddy1 wrote:
cambo swa wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:45 am Speaking of "never felt so cut off from the world". How many decades has it been since "the missus" and "the wife" were the terminology of the day? Females are still property in 2020? Maybe in Cambodia.
[quote
My bf calls me "His lady"
A sentiment that melts my heart.
She’s my property. I’m her property. Sharing one heart together. The world is complicated. And bleak. And lonely.

By the way, there was an Amazon product question that asked about the range of the ‘wife’ (WIFI misspelled). About 300 responses. So at least a few hundred don’t find it antiquated, yet.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

I am very grateful to have been properly settled here before all this covid thing kicked off. The weather and the unintended libertarian lifestyle as a result of inept government suits me down to the ground.

I have recently sent my entire life savings here by SWIFT. Not a massive amount of money but a lot for me and enough to buy some land and build a house. If travel returns to how it once was I will still go home once a year/every two years to see my family and friends. If not I will never go home again. Sure I will miss my family and mates - but miss my native country? Hell no!

I will die out here. Even if everything goes horribly wrong.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Did he say "my missus" or "my wife"? No. Since when has "the" indicated possession? FWIW I generally use the expression "the other half".
Maybe you should swap the SWA for SWMBO :)
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I find your statement idiotic, but in case it just confused me and on the off chance that I can learn something, how does one properly refer to one's spouse on your planet, in 2020?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic