Banning motorcycles to save bikers UK goes dilly

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
mehfisto
BANNED
Australia

Banning motorcycles to save bikers UK goes dilly

Post by mehfisto »

full article: https://www.motorious.com/articles/feat ... lic-roads/

Hear us out before drawing a knee-jerk conclusion.
A new report out of the UK sheds some light on a possible and disturbing new trend: county councils there might be trying to ban motorcycles from public roads slowly. The reasoning is reportedly that getting rid of motorcycles will save motorcyclists’ lives.

This is like the old saying about burning down the village to save the village. And while it might seem overly alarmist to say motorcycles could be banned from public roads in the UK, US, or anywhere else by justifying the lives saved by just such a measure, we’ve seen in 2020 all kinds of radical changes to public health enforcement using the same reasoning.

One of the counties in England that’s been cited by British Motorcyclists Federation, Trail Riders Fellowship, Motorcycle Action Group, and Vintage Motor Cycle Club is Oxfordshire. Statements about the safety, environmental impact, and space requirements of motorcycles have reportedly been brought up by county officials. And while bike enthusiasts and others have been able to address these concerns, they could easily pop up anywhere else.

Just look at the NHTSA page about motorcyclist safety, which declares “motorcycle riders are still over-represented in traffic fatalities.” Measures to make drivers more aware, teach motorcyclists to ride more defensibly, and to boost helmet usage have had only small effects. All it takes is a push from politicians or bureaucrats to make riding a bike in public the enemy of the people.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Banning motorcycles to save bikers UK goes dilly

Post by Username Taken »

What about measures to make motorcyclists more aware of how to help themselves to be more visible to motorists.
Helmet usage is one thing, but the vast majority of motorcyclists insist on wearing 'black' helmets, along with their 'black' leathers.
Research has shown that brighter colored helmets, like white, yellow and orange, are far easier for motorists to see.
Here's a good article about this https://headsdontbounce.com/motorcycle- ... ets-safer/

If motorcyclists see themselves as an endangered species, then they could start by helping themselves.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

It’s fashionable to have a motorcycle especially for middle aged men who are entering mid life crisis.

I’m betting if you look at the stats it’s these new riders who’re the victims - lack of experience and big egos.
I know many who’ve gone the route of doing a test then going out and buying a super bike, with no time on smaller bikes as most of us did growing up - 50cc, 125cc, 400cc then onto big 600 and 900cc bikes. This would be from 14/15yo to our 30s.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Lol, state of the UK.

This is just impotent hand wringing anyhow. These proposals will never be more than that.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

whatwat wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:37 am It’s fashionable to have a motorcycle especially for middle aged men who are entering mid life crisis.

I’m betting if you look at the stats it’s these new riders who’re the victims - lack of experience and big egos.
I know many who’ve gone the route of doing a test then going out and buying a super bike, with no time on smaller bikes as most of us did growing up - 50cc, 125cc, 400cc then onto big 600 and 900cc bikes. This would be from 14/15yo to our 30s.
Inexperienced riders are always going to be high on the list, but I would say if you're to look at stats you may find figures quoting the accident was caused by that of another motorist.
Traffic law and monies has always prodicted what you can do in the biking world of the UK, age first of what size motorcycles you could legally own and ride. I started with a 50cc moped at 17ish years old, then has the law was then onto a 250cc to pass my test, at this time it was the only option of transport because of cost, it would get me to work and back. I also took a police defensive driving course, knowledge and practicalities are inportaint.
Inexperience I don't dissagree with you, same has Username Taken also says be visible to other road users, all that of "Common sense" be visible and gain experience. But remember you can't teach other road users to do the same. In the UK road users in group to be aware and consider firstly are that of the most vulnerable, pedestrians and cyclists, motorcycles, cars and trucks. Here trucks and the rich in their Range rovers have right of way over anything, wealth and might is the key, inbetween moto's jostle between each other daily with no thought of oneself or that of another, I myself can only describe it simply has selfishness. Insurance (compulsory) would be a main factor to have here, and also to police so, but that would be a matter in itself. Talking whilst on the subjects, now I hold my new Cambodian licence required by law (actually hold car and large motorcycle), what I do require is insurance, now looking into it deeply I am getting controdictions on the matter. Also what of the new traffic policing laws, how many Khmer are actually following the laws, and respect the authorities.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

I don’t disagree with you Andy but this is about the UK not Cambodia. And for the record. You don’t have to be “rich” to drive a Range Rover and think you’re HE. Those Sports are $20k.

I to had to wait to get a proper big licence. But if you’re over 21 you can do a direct access, or used to. Not familiar with it now.
I was always taught anticipate what other drivers do. Don’t assume they’ve seen you or are concentrating on their driving. If you’re doing 60mph because it’s a 60mph limit coming up to a junction then you’re asking for trouble. Yes other drivers need education for certain and cars now are little cosy safe area with all driver aids that dull your senses. That’s definitely an issue.

My point is from one that was a principle in an MC (not that type) I saw the standard of riding and the attitudes of riders. Good for you for going down the ADT route. Priceless.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

this is about the UK not Cambodia
Moved to 'The rest of the world'
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

Complete and utter BS, the UK banning motor bikes :plus1:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

whatwat wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:44 pm And for the record. You don’t have to be “rich” to drive a Range Rover and think you’re HE. Those Sports are $20k.
Where can you get a Range Rover sport for $20K?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:42 pm
whatwat wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:44 pm And for the record. You don’t have to be “rich” to drive a Range Rover and think you’re HE. Those Sports are $20k.
Where can you get a Range Rover sport for $20K?
Seriously?
There’s over 50 on khmer24 all under $20k, mostly Sports, and down to $12k.

Knock yourself out. Khmer24.com
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic