Cable TV - what's the process?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Cable TV - what's the process?

Post by StroppyChops »

Sailorman wrote:Do you have TVOne in PP? Here in Snookyville, after you buy the equipment its $10. a month. Its done with a transmitter and a receiver/antenna that you buy for your house. If you move, you take it with you.
That makes more sense in this day and age - I'll look into that.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

You call them up. They come and hook you up... Pay every six months (usually). Couldn't really be any more simple...
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:You call them up. They come and hook you up... Pay every six months (usually). Couldn't really be any more simple...
You know when something is normally simple, but then you've lived in Cambodia for a while, and something seems like it should be simple...?
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

StroppyChops wrote:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:You call them up. They come and hook you up... Pay every six months (usually). Couldn't really be any more simple...
You know when something is normally simple, but then you've lived in Cambodia for a while, and something seems like it should be simple...?

That only a ''simpleton '' would believe it.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Duncan wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:
That only a ''simpleton '' would believe it.
Ah... yes. I think.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

Username Taken wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:I know cable TV costs around $100pa, but what's the process for getting it installed (multiple points) as a new installation in PP, please?
The two main ones are PPCTV and CCTV.
We use PPCTV, and my wife assures me that it costs us $35 for six months. From memory, the install was $50, which included the first 6 months subscription.

Maybe you could check with the neighbors which company they use, then you'll know that the cable already runs by your house. Otherwise you might be billed for running a cable a few hundred meters up the road.

Some newer homes have the cable already wired into the walls, and running to every room. Otherwise, you can buy, or the cable Co. might provide, one of those little junction doodahs to run cables to where you want. It might be messy, but I'm sure you can do your own trunking to make it look nice. :beer3:

http://yp.com.kh/categories/kh10183-cab ... n/listings
We've got PPCTV too. Just paid $25 for 6 months about a fortnight ago - there must be a degree of 'flexibility' there somewhere.

It's generally pretty lame - lots of Chinese stuff with people wearing funny hats, local stuff for the wife and daughter, a few movie channels, Nat Geo and the like. Has BBC regional news, Aussie channel (name escapes me), a few sports channels and my son's fave the cartoon channel too.

From what I understand, it is all underhand dealings and would cost considerably more if it went through their office.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Cheers - I recall some guy offering the 'underhand' version somewhere, possibly on 440 or FB. I'll have a look at that.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I got the original, and then when it came time to renew, the guy offered me the "unofficial" version. You could also split with neighbors if you're so inclined.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

TVone has 4 English movie channels, Turner Classic movies (this along is worth $10. a month), Fox channel,news, other English channels. Every time I pay my bill I prod them about getting the History2 channel. I like it because I'm not connected to anything.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

I forgot to post back to this.

OneTV - $65 install per TV
80 channels free for 4 months, then $10pcm. 60 channels free for 1 year, then $6pcm. I believe this is satellite/radio, cannot add additional boxes.

PPCTV $50 install including first 50 metres from their nearest pole*.
72 channels, $10pcm/$100yr
$10 per splitter for additional TVs.

* this is the first of many, many scams this company pulls, I will post separately about my experiences with this ultra dodgy company.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic