Cintri on strike?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Cintri on strike?

Post by AndyKK »

Cintri workers continue strike after talks fail

October 9, 2020
Khmer Times

Cintri workers continued their strike yesterday, despite negotiations with City Hall on Wednesday that were dubbed as positive.
Cintri staff representative Kach Sokvat said the reason why workers have not yet returned to work is because a solution was not reached during negotiations that everyone agreed on.

He also said that further meetings between the governor Khuong Sreng, the company, union representatives and workers are needed to find a solution.

“If the company, as well as the City Hall, help solve this, they will return to work,” he said.

In response, City Hall released a statement yesterday expressing disappointment over the decision not to return to work.

Sreng met with the company, workers and union representatives on Wednesday at the company headquarters in what was dubbed a positive negotiation.

After the meeting, he said City Hall, the company and the workforce had come to an agreement over payments, seniority and job security.

However, Cintri workers did not return to work.

“City Hall regrets the actions of Cintri employees and their decision to not return to work, following the agreements made on Wednesday,” the City Hall statement said.

Meanwhile, City Hall is using district officials and guards to collect garbage.

“City Hall deployed 70 trucks along with officials from 14 districts to collect the garbage. We will provide $10 per person per day for people involved in the cleanup,” it added.

Cintri company employee Mey Phan said that after the meeting on Wednesday, some of the workers agreed to return to work and some did not. However, those that wanted to return didn’t in a show of unity.

“We want to all work together. So, when some of us do not agree, we await a solution for all. That’s why we have not returned to work,” he said.

He added that most of the garbage workers do not understand the law and were not convinced they would be protected by it.

“We are not educated, so we find it difficult to understand and talk about solutions that involve the law,” he said.

He said that some of the workers still want the initial demands, which go beyond what was negotiated at the meeting.

“I will wait on the other workers’ decision. However, if they do not return, I will not either,” he added.

Daun Penh district resident Sem Sitha said that she hopes a solution is found soon, to avoid garbage building up on the streets again.

“Garbage piles up quickly outside resident’s houses and on the street when it is not picked up. I hope that both sides find a solution soon,” she said.

She said that the garbage affects peoples’ livelihoods and businesses due to a lot of garbage piling up in front of their houses and on the street.

Strikes began on October 2, when Cintri employees demanded seniority pay, damage pay, compensation in lieu of prior notice, last month’s salary and annual leave pay.

The strikes reportedly came after City Hall cancelled Cintri’s monopoly on garbage collection in the capital, splitting collection into three zones and opening those zones to garbage collections companies to bid for.

Currently, there are six companies shortlisted for the zones, including Cintri.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:22 am Some Sangkats have deployed their own local rubbish collectors. it's a pity sight/. They clean up a spot today, there's another pile tomorrow.
How is that different from normal?
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Problem solved...

Joking aside, isn't this how outbreaks of Cholera start? A waste water system overloaded with bacteria and backing up so far it seeps into the 'clean' water system?
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Something is fishy.

There must be targeted strike areas? Or is Cintri broken up into separate fiefdoms?

Throughout all this strike talk, the garbage in our neighborhood has been collected as normal.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:11 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:22 am Some Sangkats have deployed their own local rubbish collectors. it's a pity sight/. They clean up a spot today, there's another pile tomorrow.
Because the policemen doing it aren't paid.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:05 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:11 pm
Because the policemen doing it aren't paid.
I thought the news article above said they get paid $10 per day?
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Advertising for rubbish collectors. From FB. At least I think that's what this is about, FB translate is not great.

You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cintri’s Garbage-Collection Workers Remain on Strike despite an Arbitration Council’s Order
A few of them have returned to work while most of them are waiting for Cintri to pay their benefits due.
By Cambodianess - October 12, 2020

Workers at Cintri (Cambodia) Ltd have remained on strike in spite of the order issued by the Arbitration Council on Oct. 9 stating that they had to return to work on Oct. 10.

Kao Savat, Cintri employees’ union president, confirmed on Oct. 11 that the workers on strike since Oct. 2 had continued their protest. “There still is no solution,” he said, that the workers can consider acceptable.

However, around 200 of the 2,150 workers, most of them women, went back to work, Savat said. “Some street sweepers were back at work…but the truck drivers and garbage collectors who transport the trash to the landfill,” he said, are still on strike.
https://cambodianess.com/article/cintri ... cils-order
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

My girl told me yesterday they just secured a pay rise and end of year bonus, so back to work , it was from her Facebook
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

atst wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:52 am My girl told me yesterday they just secured a pay rise and end of year bonus, so back to work , it was from her Facebook
Well girl got it nearly half right just read the news from Phnom Penh post.can some download the news clip to here
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic