Cintri on strike?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Re: Cintri on strike?

Post by theKid »

Just drove past Riverside. After the rain, all that garbage is now floating around the flooded streets, probably clogging up the drainage even more. Beautiful sight.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Shit conditions no guarantee of holiday pay and $159 a month, people would be queuing up for a job like that
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Garbage collectors in most places get paid fairly well as it's a shitty job. The city is a mess but I support the strike. Government probably pays peanuts for the contract and Cintri is always tight as there's always more trash than what's bargained for. But yeah, makes the city look/smell even worse than it usually does...
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

Meanwhile, in shitsville, they have not come this year. They came four times last year...
up to you...
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Garbage collectors in most places get paid fairly well as it's a shitty job. The city is a mess but I support the strike. Government probably pays peanuts for the contract and Cintri is always tight as there's always more trash than what's bargained for. But yeah, makes the city look/smell even worse than it usually does...
I'm sure cintri must be on the bones of their arse with regards cashflow.

The monthly payment for garbage collection seems to have more people not paying it as are paying it.
orussey98
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by orussey98 »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:31 pm Garbage collectors in most places get paid fairly well as it's a shitty job. The city is a mess but I support the strike. Government probably pays peanuts for the contract and Cintri is always tight as there's always more trash than what's bargained for. But yeah, makes the city look/smell even worse than it usually does...
It's probably the other way about the contract.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

khmerhamster wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:40 pm
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Garbage collectors in most places get paid fairly well as it's a shitty job. The city is a mess but I support the strike. Government probably pays peanuts for the contract and Cintri is always tight as there's always more trash than what's bargained for. But yeah, makes the city look/smell even worse than it usually does...
I'm sure cintri must be on the bones of their arse with regards cashflow.

The monthly payment for garbage collection seems to have more people not paying it as are paying it.
They should put the charge back on EDC bills. And seriously they could bump it up to $5/month if they provided wheelie bins to everyone.

Meanwhile it seems pretty clear Cintri is not going to get any contracts back.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Is Cintri just being an ass because it wants to be in charge of all collections?
You don't need brains to be a Boss.
When the body was first created, all the parts wanted to be Boss. The brain said, "I should be Boss because I control all of the body's responses and functions."

The feet said, "We should be Boss since we carry the brain about and get him to where he wants to go."

The hands said, "We should be the Boss because we do all the work and earn all the money."

Finally, the asshole spoke up. All the parts laughed at the idea of the asshole being the Boss. So, the asshole went on strike, blocked itself up and refused to work.

Within a short time, the eyes became crossed, the hands clenched, the feet twitched, the heart and lungs began to panic, and the brain fevered. Eventually, they all decided that the asshole should be the Boss, so the motion was passed. All the other parts did all the work while the Boss just sat and passed out the shit!

Moral Of The Story: You don't need a brain to be a Boss----any asshole will do.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

orussey98 wrote:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:31 pm Garbage collectors in most places get paid fairly well as it's a shitty job. The city is a mess but I support the strike. Government probably pays peanuts for the contract and Cintri is always tight as there's always more trash than what's bargained for. But yeah, makes the city look/smell even worse than it usually does...
It's probably the other way about the contract.
I highly doubt it. The city's population has doubled in ten years. Dangkor was opened in 2009 after Stung Menchey was full and was estimated to last 20+ years. It's currently completely full as far as I know, so they're relocating some stuff to Kandal. It's a bit hard to make bids on stuff like that when population growth and the resulting trash production is exponential, with zero sorting and tons of it plastic waste. Even the experts had it wrong, so wouldn't surprise me one bit that they're not exactly making a ton of money. Combine that with a whole lot of people not paying their bill because "fuck it, they won't know", and you've got a losing situation.

The company was started way back by a mixed Canadian/Khmer couple if I remember correctly, but once set up was stolen from under them by some local tycoon. They're now doing biomass stuff in Vietnam instead.

Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

AndyKK wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:29 am I thought the government had taken over the waste collection's in effort to make the task more efficient? I was in the riverside area the other day, it was difficult to find a restaurant without festering piles of rotting waste nearby, not good conditions to eat and enjoy. On my journey over there I have noticed some bin truck's working and some motos and trailers too.
Some Sangkats have deployed their own local rubbish collectors. it's a pity sight/. They clean up a spot today, there's another pile tomorrow.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic