Cintri on strike?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Cintri on strike?

Post by Doc67 »

People should start to dump their garbage at this leafy, perfectly maintained, corner. Then things will get fixed quickly.

CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Government warns union leader for allegedly inciting Cintri strike
5 min read

9 October 2020
Khy Sovuthy
The Labor Ministry has warned a union federation president for allegedly violating the Labor Law, accusing him of inciting workers from trash collection firm Cintri to go on strike to pressure their employer into guaranteeing their benefits and final pay should they lose their jobs.

In a letter sent October 8 to Touch Kosal, president of the Cambodia Tourism Workers’ Union Federation (CTWUF), the ministry alleged he had led the strike by about 2,000 Cintri workers, which began October 2, and ordered him to stop his activities.

“He has acted contrary to federal statutes, led others to strike illegally, and incited workers/employees to commit serious mistakes,” the letter reads.

It also said that leading and inciting the capital’s garbage collection workers to strike to put pressure on their employers was in opposition to the law.

“In the event that there is no change [in his behavior] or if [he] violates this warning letter, your professional organization may be sued and dissolved or other measures will be taken as required by law,” the letter said.

The Cintri workers began their strike after hearing news that City Hall is planning to finalize contracts on October 16 with three new garbage companies, which could cause them to lose their jobs at Cintri. As a result, they have demanded that their employer promise to provide them with seniority indemnity pay, compensation pay, final salary, remaining annual leave pay, and notice pay should their contracts be terminated.

According to the minutes of an October 7 meeting, Phnom Penh municipal officials and company representatives said the workers’ demands could not be guaranteed because Cintri was still operating, and encouraged all employees to return to work, to no avail.

Kosal said the ministry’s accusations were baseless because he did not incite the Cintri employees to strike.

“I think that their accusations against [me] are clearly without evidence and they are just blaming me,” he said. “It is very unjust and I cannot accept it.”

Kosal said that when the garbage workers started their strike on the evening of October 2, he was in Siem Reap province and that he did not attend the first joint meeting between workers, company and government representatives on October 3.
He noted that workers and union leaders at Cintri had later called him to ask for his help and that he had attended the second joint meeting between the three parties on October 5.
https://cambojanews.com/government-warn ... ri-strike/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I wasn't too bothered by the massive expanding piles of garbage until this evening. I went past Tonle Bassac Restaurant on 163. They had some workers moving a few days garbage in black plastic sacks from the giant pile onto a truck. Days of rotting seafood, meat, veg and garbage juices were flowing and it was hard not to puke. Maybe the whole city is going to smell like that soon, it's fucking gross. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
mehfisto
BANNED
Australia

Post by mehfisto »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:22 pm“In the event that there is no change [in his behavior] or if [he] violates this warning letter, your professional organization may be sued and dissolved
Yeah, that would fix things. :voilent1:
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Why doesn't the government make cintri guarantee the workers their pay and conditions.
When they went on strike a couple years ago they got a$9 pay rise , can't find the thread but think they get $267 a month
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

atst wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:47 am Why doesn't the government make cintri guarantee the workers their pay and conditions.
When they went on strike a couple years ago they got a$9 pay rise , can't find the thread but think they get $267 a month
Glad I left PP Tuesday it was getting pretty sickly walking around then, poor people who have restaurants near the piles
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
mehfisto
BANNED
Australia

Post by mehfisto »

atst wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:47 amWhen they went on strike a couple years ago they got a$9 pay rise , can't find the thread but think they get $267 a month
I really doubt they get paid that much, although it would be nice.

No skills or education needed, more than textile workers get, about mid-level salary for many jobs requiring skills and a secondary or even tertiary education.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

mehfisto wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:59 am
atst wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:47 amWhen they went on strike a couple years ago they got a$9 pay rise , can't find the thread but think they get $267 a month
I really doubt they get paid that much, although it would be nice.

No skills or education needed, more than textile workers get, about mid-level salary for many jobs requiring skills and a secondary or even tertiary education.
There is a thread on here I can't find it but it has there new pay after the rise maybe $167 but that seems a bit low,
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

December 28, 2018
Cintri agrees to increase rubbish collector wages
Rubbish collectors who went on strike on Wednesday have reached an agreement with Cintri to have their wages raised from $150 to $159 per month.

general-chatter/happy-rats-t25595-10.html#p302838

:hattip:
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I thought the government had taken over the waste collection's in effort to make the task more efficient? I was in the riverside area the other day, it was difficult to find a restaurant without festering piles of rotting waste nearby, not good conditions to eat and enjoy. On my journey over there I have noticed some bin truck's working and some motos and trailers too.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic