Is buying a house probable

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Is buying a house probable

Post by phuketrichard »

beaker wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:15 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:40 am this
First thing I would do is get a passport for your child from your home country
Seen houses (6x8) for around $15,000. but than u need furnish it so another $3,000-5,000 min.
Where in PP have you seen houses (6x8) for around $15,000. ? I have been looking and can't even find land for twice that price.
NOT for sale PP?
NOT buying a built house with land
I see many spec homes via my gf's fb listing new homes built on spec from $15,000 up
NOT including the land, not including adding dirt, not including water, not including electricity, not including any furnishings. etc
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

Lonestar wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:15 am Having children is relatively inexpensive here....until it is time for them to start school. You have a window of time in which you could return to your home country and get back in the job market there. If you apply yourself, you may be able to carve out a decent living after a few years of hard work, learning, and advancement. More than 90% of the time, this is the best choice to make for your family.
------------

Agree completely. And I'd add. Stuff goes wrong. Kids get sick. Kids "need" stuff. Kids eat.... a lot! Kids are expensive.

You've got a LONG way to go. Best to earn as much as you can. Even if the plan is to later move to Cambodia. Go back (bring the family) and earn some real money.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Khmu Nation wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:52 am and have him end up in a school with a bunch of cultural Marxist teachers where they cant play conkers and various boys use the girls kasi cos they are non binary.
Not to derail the thread, but if these are the sort of things you worry about for your children then you have seriously lost touch with reality.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Reading this thread I'd be terrified if I was the op
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Imnotasiain wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:41 pm I've been in cambo working as a teacher for 3 years straight as of now. The salary was plenty for me to live on myself. I messed around and started a family here while I was at it. Now that I have to provide for a wife and kid as well.
I've been in cambo working as a teacher for 3 years straight as of now. The salary was plenty for me to live on myself.

Why the hell did you change that? Now wife and kids and you are thinking a house...while your income stream is not guaranteed..ATST you managed to lift your monthly budget quite a lot since arriving. Dangerous path IMHO.
work is for people who cant find truffles
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Just my two cents... it would probably be better to rent if you want to live in PP. see my post a while back “where is all the money coming from?”

Check the cost of property in Phnom Penh on Khmer 24. It’s outrageous and not a good investment. You could be saddling yourself with a very overpriced asset that you struggle to repay for the rest of your life. And Cambodia can wear on you after a while.

For me, it seems buying property in Phnom Penh is only for professional investors who really know what they’re doing.

And also agree with all the others who said that getting your child in school here will be very expensive.
Sheepdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Sheepdog »

Hey guys, nice thread.

I’m pretty much in the same boat as the OP and been meaning to post something similar in the hope of some wise advice for a while. I’ve been living here around about 7 years. I have a Khmer wife, but we got hitched in the UK a year ago, so we are not legally married here. (We are hoping the laws here will change and recognize it in the future and strengthen our case if we want to leave here in the future to go back to the UK) I love living here, but that might not be the best option in the future.

We have our first kid arriving in a few months. Wasn’t planned but exciting times ahead! Also slightly worrying giving the state of the world and current events!

Like the OP, I’d also like to invest in a property here pretty soon. We were doing pretty well, saving on average $800 a month for the past year and not really trying too hard to cut down on our spending.

Now of course, we have extra costs coming in soon and my wife will be on reduced income for a while once the baby makes an appearance. We have around $8000 saved and can boost that (hopefully!) to $10,000 before the baby arrives.

I think a Borey is a better investment compared to Condos, but many ‘good value’ Boreys are on the outskirts of PP and I’m worried about the daily commute to work. Traffic is just getting worse. I work in a school pretty central and live a 15/20minute bike ride to work in the TTP Area which is fine, but I don’t want to have to do much more.

I like the look of Borey Williams but again, the distance from work is a put off. Has anyone any experience with them?

Buying a condo with 2BR is as expensive or more as a house in most PP areas.

I’ve just upgraded and we’re now renting a nice, spacious 2BR apartment for $400 a month in the location I like. Do I stick here and keep saving for the next few years to have a more sizable deposit for a house in a decent borey, or do I buy a condo short term with a smaller deposit and then hope to sell for a small profit to then buy a house with a bigger deposit?

What do you guys think?

Any tips/ suggestions very welcome.

Long time reader, first time poster! You guys have entertained me for a long time :)
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Sheepdog wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:10 pm Hey guys, nice thread.

I’m pretty much in the same boat as the OP and been meaning to post something similar in the hope of some wise advice for a while. I’ve been living here around about 7 years. I have a Khmer wife, but we got hitched in the UK a year ago, so we are not legally married here. (We are hoping the laws here will change and recognize it in the future and strengthen our case if we want to leave here in the future to go back to the UK) I love living here, but that might not be the best option in the future.

We have our first kid arriving in a few months. Wasn’t planned but exciting times ahead! Also slightly worrying giving the state of the world and current events!

Like the OP, I’d also like to invest in a property here pretty soon. We were doing pretty well, saving on average $800 a month for the past year and not really trying too hard to cut down on our spending.

Now of course, we have extra costs coming in soon and my wife will be on reduced income for a while once the baby makes an appearance. We have around $8000 saved and can boost that (hopefully!) to $10,000 before the baby arrives.

I think a Borey is a better investment compared to Condos, but many ‘good value’ Boreys are on the outskirts of PP and I’m worried about the daily commute to work. Traffic is just getting worse. I work in a school pretty central and live a 15/20minute bike ride to work in the TTP Area which is fine, but I don’t want to have to do much more.

I like the look of Borey Williams but again, the distance from work is a put off. Has anyone any experience with them?

I’ve just upgraded and we’re now renting a nice, spacious 2BR apartment for $400 a month in the location I like. Do I stick here and keep saving for the next few years to have a more sizable deposit for a house in a decent borey, or do I buy a condo short term with a smaller deposit and then hope to sell for a small profit to then buy a house with a bigger deposit?

What do you guys think?

Long time reader, first time poster! You guys have entertained me for a long time :)
Have you considered flathouses? South Phnom Penh along the HE Boulevard there are lot of local style newly built 2-4br flathouses that sale for 50k-80k. From there you can get to TTP area within 10-15mins and even during the worse peak hours shouldn't take more than 30minutes. And the new Aeon will be there too.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

Sheepdog,

Congratulations on your soon to be child and on saving some money.

I'll reference my previous reply. Kids are expensive. They eat, need clothes, need shoes, need lots of stuff. They will get sick, they need vaccines and medicines. Your 8-10K saved will help, but be aware that if something serious happens it won't go far.

Keep on renting the apartment your happy with. A newborn will add enough worry and stress to your life without taking on additional financial risk. Even if you enjoy living in Cambodia more than the UK you may want to consider going back if you can get a full time teaching job there that includes benefits.

Good luck
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Sheepdog wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:10 pm Hey guys, nice thread.

What do you guys think?

Struggling to understand people who seem to think they want to live in PP the rest of their life. It’s nice if you’re single, but with kids? Not so sure. Especially on a teacher’s salary.

But hey, I may be overreacting. I mean, you can get a hovel in Daun Penh for about a million, a flat in Russian market area for about 300k, and if you don’t mind doing a two hour commute on your Honda today, you might find an $80,000 prefab rowhouse across from a rubbish strewn empty lot and a pile of concrete construction waste.

Or you could go really local and get one of those 5x5 lots in Kandal province for $7,999.

But I digress.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic