Cambodia invented Zero - 683 AD

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
popping in
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Cambodia invented Zero - 683 AD

Post by popping in »

In the spirit of LoB...it's 682 AD, and it's census time:

OK, question 8. How many wings have you got ?

How many what ?

Wings ?

Oh, wings. Let me see now. Erm.

You must know how many wings you've got ?

I'm just counting them, just a sec.

Hurry up.

Well it's not 1, I know that.

3 ?

No, not 3. And, it's not 4 either.

2 ?

No, that's the thing, it's not 2. But...

But what ?

But it's not more than 4 either.

Hang on, hang on. You're saying you haven't got 1 wing, 2 wings, 3 wings or 4 wings. But you haven't got more than 4 wings either ? You winding me up ?

No.

So how many have you got ?

I don't know. It's just.....impossible.

I can't fit impossible in the box, you're going to have to give me a number.

OK, well put 1 then.

1 it is.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

This is a good one, PI
lays out the framework of how nothing happened, and why it is so important.
https://www.livescience.com/27853-who-i ... -zero.html

Amongst the gems..
Medieval religious leaders in Europe did not support the use of zero, van der Hoek said. They saw it as satanic. "God was in everything that was. Everything that was not was of the devil," she said.

Wallin points out that the Italian government was suspicious of Arabic numbers and outlawed the use of zero.
Merchants continued to use it illegally and secretively, and the Arabic word for zero, "sifr," brought about the word "cipher," which not only means a numeric character, but also came to mean "code."

"So commonplace has zero become that few, if any, realize it astounding role in the lives of every single person in the world," said Gobets.

Nothing is a big deal. Who would have thought..?
popping in
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by popping in »

I'm sceptical Stern. They talk in the article with wonder of different civilizations independently inventing the zero, as if that's some massively unliekly scenario. To me it's no less likely than different civilisations inventing the cconetps of day and night. It's inevitable that they'll do this.

Also they talk about the development of 0 from a 'place holder' into a number in its own right. But it's the same thing. I don't see how it matters whether it's depcited as 2 brackets, or a gap or a little round circle. It's still the concept of allowing the numbering system to start again, so that you can use 10s 100s and 1000s instead of inventing infinite different individual numbers.

Maybe there's some truth in some cultures thinking the zero was satanic or whatever, but I just don't believe that the romans - who built the biggest concrete dome that was ever built before the 20th century - didn't have a number for 0.

I'm not being contrary mate, and I am by no means an expert, but it just strikes me as something some guys have come up with to sell a book or two. Anyway, sorry for commenting against the flow, just my thoughts on the matter.

EDIT: You're right, the Romans didn't use a 0 did they. Forget what I said.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

^^^ lololololol

Bloody mathematics - gobbledeedoo in this modern day and age, i reckon.
I was the class genius in Maths until first year high school when they started throwing letters in there - A's B's X's Y''s
after that my science career was fucked.
popping in
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by popping in »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:11 am ^^^ lololololol

I was the class genius in Maths until first year high school when they started throwing letters in there - A's B's X's Y''s
I was about the same as that tbf.

Just on the romans then. It's interesting that they didn't use a zero (although modern counting systems of course do use their system of counting in tens), but they must have understood the concept. If you'd said to Marcus Aerilius what's V-V, I doubt he'd have scratched his head and said "well blow me down with a feather, that's satan's work". And they must have had a word for it, even if they didn't express it in their counting system. Anyway, all interesting stuff, and good to see that the Khmers were involved somewhere along the line (I know they did a lot of cool stuff back in the day). :thumb:
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

It’s not just who invented it. It’s who actually spread the knowledge to the rest of the world. Without the Arabic system 1,2,3 etc., combined with zero, western physics, mathematics, geometry, and so on would be impossible.

Also the time period. Lots of discoveries happened that were useless at the time. Antiquity discovered the steam ball, a child’s toy, the Victorians discovered the light cascading down fountains, a parlor trick, etc. Became only useful with the steam engine, and fiber optics.

The Vikings may have discovered America first, or Imperial China. But it was Christopher Columbus who introduced the New World and kicked off the age of discovery and colonization.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Cambodia invented Zero - 683 AD

Post by newkidontheblock »

Marcus Aurelius was last of the five good emperors of Pax Romana. During that period Christians were fed to the lions, so I doubt he would believe in Satan. He’d believe in Hades, and the Roman Parthenon of gods.

The emperor was also a Stoic, believing in “accepting the moment as it presents itself, by not allowing oneself to be controlled by the desire for pleasure or fear of pain, by using one's mind to understand the world and to do one's part in nature's plan, and by working together and treating others fairly and justly”.

And that "virtue is the only good" for human beings, and that external things—such as health, wealth, and pleasure—are not good or bad in themselves.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoicism

From https://www.theguardian.com/notesandque ... 58,00.html

“The Romans never used their numerals for arithmetic, thus avoiding the need to keep a column empty with a zero symbol. Addition and subtraction were done instead on an abacus or counting frame. About 1,500 years ago in India a symbol was used to represent an abacus column with nothing in it.”
Last edited by newkidontheblock on Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:11 am ^^^ lololololol

Totally agree if you didn't get 100% right in maths test you made a mistake
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Maths is pretty rigid (except when you get to the outer limits, i believe)
I just dont get on well with rigid systems - computers, mechanics etc ,or rigid people.
Reading fluid systems is my interest.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

popping in wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:49 am

Maybe there's some truth in some cultures thinking the zero was satanic or whatever, but I just don't believe that the romans - who built the biggest concrete dome that was ever built before the 20th century - didn't have a number for 0.

EDIT: You're right, the Romans didn't use a 0 did they. Forget what I said.
Latin for zero is nulla
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic