Can most/all Cambodians read a clock a.k.a tell time?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
RandyN
BANNED

Can most/all Cambodians read a clock a.k.a tell time?

Post by RandyN »

When I grew up in the USA, all children were taught how to read a clock/tell time. And there were analog clocks in every school room.

Do Cambodians learn this skill, especially the younger generation? Or do they just look at their phones if they want to know the time?

What about roman numerals, can they read those? If you show a Cambodian a clock face with Roman numerals, will they have any idea what time it is?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Can most/all Cambodians read a clock a.k.a tell time?

Post by John Bingham »

You could ask the same questions in any country.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

What is the answer too the question? Shops open and close when they say, such has 9 till 5. Though my partner does not understand the time by the clock, and she has no intention to learn.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

I think a more pertinent question would be “are Cambodians punctual?”
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Most Cambodians can tell the time. However, in Khmer, when you ask the time, you say, 'how many hours already.' Many will tell you the correct time, but some people from the more rural areas will only tell you how many hours. So if it is 3:46, some people will say it is 3. So it can be later than you think it is.

Most Cambodians can't read Roman numerals, but would know the time from the position on the clock.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

Given that the median age in Cambodia currently lies between 25 and 26 years of age, then the answer is a resounding Yes.

OML
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

The more pertinent questions are ‘do they want to?’, ‘Do they need to?’ & ‘Do they care?’
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

khmerhamster wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:32 pm The more pertinent questions are ‘do they want to?’, ‘Do they need to?’ & ‘Do they care?’
Do they want/need/care?
Hard to gauge, sometimes. In a community out in the province, far from the hustle and bustle of the big smoke, and where comings and goings are quite casual, and where people are often content with sitting around waiting for someone to turn up, and idling away the time gossiping; I'd say unlikely.

Do they need to?
Yes, if their everyday existence and livelihood depends upon interacting with the wider population, and the world.

Do they care?
Alluded to already is the rather complacent attitude towards time in Cambodia. Not really a problem if the desire is to be pretty isolated from the modern world. But then- also don't complain at being left behind.
We were left waiting for her brother in law to pick us up at the railway station (middle of nowhere, 3 kids, climb down from the train, next one is tomorrow, about the same time-later cancelled). Time didn't matter to him, and walking through the back of beyond in 35°heat on washed out tracks didn't appeal to us. He was only 3 hours late. SWMBO just accepted that that is the way it is. For me, where punctuality is part of the global freight business and 5 minutes is big $$$ penalties, it grated a bit. 2 cans of Cambodia weren't going to cut it.

The powers that be don't seem that interested in instilling any sense of time or responsibility, so you can hardly complain if people don't understand the importance.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

One of the big problems in Cambodia is that many people don't care. You can even explain to them how things can be better. They don't care, and see no reason to do things better.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

explorer wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:09 pm One of the big problems in Cambodia is that many people don't care. You can even explain to them how things can be better. They don't care, and see no reason to do things better.
And you have all the answers right? So here we go again with you disparaging khmers coz they are small brains that don't know better right?

Sort of like today when you were telling CEO mods how to do their jobs on another thread coz you know better? Yet, we have to put up with your endless banal posts..

Must be hard for you to live in Cambodia when you see all this inadequacy amongst khmers..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic