Smoking

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
popping in
Expatriate
Great Britain

Smoking

Post by popping in »

I stopped for more than 2 years once and starting again was one of the worst mistakes I ever made.

The effects it can have on your lungs are obviously well documented. I seem to have been lucky on that score so far. With me there's something in them that really affects my head as well. Really it's like I'm on drugs or something when I'm smoking a lot of fags, just turns me into a complete mong (apologies for using that word, but I can't think of a more apt one to describe myself at times).

I know this but still find it so difficult to stop. If I go cold turkey I'll be literally almost banging my head on the wall, rolling my eyes round and round ffs.

Managed to only have 2 since this morning when I just thought it seemed like a good time to try to pack it in again, and my head's clearer than it's been for weeks already.

Bloody awful habit to have. If there's any kids reading, I highly recommend giving it a wide berth.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Smoking

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Thanks! for niggling like my 5 wives always have all my life PI.
I've been missing that lately, stranded away from home.

I am always battling, but never give up trying.
That ^^ worked for me one time before when i had an even stronger and more insidious habit.
Persistence. (persistence persistence persistence)

I am a fully certified "chronic". (a new medical definition)
Patches give me some control and have slashed my intake, but i have not fully cracked it YET.

'Satisfied, PI? with your nag nag nag.
Now! you gotta make breakfast and clean up the house.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Quitting was a pain in the ass but so worth it after you get through those first few months. I stopped drinking a few months to help.

I liked using an app which kept kept updating me for my stats (i.e. you are 10% less likely to have a heart attack, 20% less likely to have cancer, you have saved $700 so far). I quit in 2014. The apps are aplenty now, i think the one I used is not supported anymore.
popping in
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by popping in »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:50 am Thanks! for niggling like my 5 wives always have all my life PI.
I've been missing that lately, stranded away from home.

I am always battling, but never give up trying.
That ^^ worked for me one time before when i had an even stronger and more insidious habit.
Persistence. (persistence persistence persistence)

I am a fully certified "chronic". (a new medical definition)
Patches give me some control and have slashed my intake, but i have not fully cracked it YET.

'Satisfied, PI? with your nag nag nag.
Now! you gotta make breakfast and clean up the house.
Keep up the good work !

Have you tried vapes btw ? Last year I tried them for the first time and was amazed how (relatively) easy it was to switch from the fags. Only problem was going to SEA for the winter and falling back again. Tried the vape again this year but it didn't have the same effect this time. Worth a try if you're somewhere where they are available. I can't even get those damn patches to stick. I got one for a plane ride a few weeks ago and ended up sticking the damn thing on my forehead. Rest of them went in the bin.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

I quit cigarettes over 10 years ago before i came here 10 years ago .
Because they hit $5 a pack . Ridiculous in itself .
It just pisses me off to see anybody smoking , but i know it’s because they are so cheap here .
I wish they would put a big like $5 per pack tax on them here ,
Then maybe they wouldn’t have had to sell sihanoukville
But I still vape my “ medicine “ no tabacco in that .
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

pissontheroof wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:51 am I quit cigarettes over 10 years ago before i came here 10 years ago .
Because they hit $5 a pack . Ridiculous in itself .
It just pisses me off to see anybody smoking , but i know it’s because they are so cheap here .
I wish they would put a big like $5 per pack tax on them here ,
But I still vape my “ medicine “ no tabacco in that .
It is well documented that cigarettes are not a good thing for peoples health, pricing of them are of a different matter, so is the will to stop. I am not convinced that Sihanoukville would have been saved if the government were to raise taxes to meet the $5 per pack.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Sugar and a sedate lifestyle are far more deadly.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

AndyKK wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:20 am
pissontheroof wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:51 am I wish they would put a big like $5 per pack tax on them here ,
I am not convinced that Sihanoukville would have been saved if the government were to raise taxes to meet the $5 per pack.
Good one guys :thumb: If they introduced fines for smoking on the beach....that would save it. :lol:
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Let's ban smoking, and make us all continue to breathe the smoke from burning plastic and other rubbish.

If they are serious, they have to stop people burning plastic.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
popping in
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by popping in »

@SternAAlbifrons

You fancy trying to give up with me ? I've got a head start but just an idea.

I'm at 0 so far today (1pm) and aiming for maximum of 2. Yesterday I had 6 (but only 3 after I decided to give it a go at 11am).

Worst moment today was at 3am when I literally don't know how I didn't have a cigarette (probably mostly being too lazy to get up tbh). Was worth it though as didn't feel an urgent need to be plugged into some nicotene when I woke up again (although saying that I do now tbh).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic