Norway just deported 824 Muslims...

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Norway just deported 824 Muslims...

Post by StroppyChops »

Apparently some of those deported were legitimately applying for refugee status, but had been refused.

I take your point about the title - if their being Muslim was the core factor for singling out for deportation (and I suspect from the tone of the article that it was) then it could possibly stand, but it's certainly a challenging strategy.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

Why can't I find anything about this in the mainstream media? I only see it on right-wing fear mongering sites.

I have found this related article from The Guardian, but it paints a very different picture (one with human rights abuses):
http://www.theguardian.com/global-devel ... mmigration

I also found this local Nordic site that appears to have no bias and they report that 824 people, not necessarily Muslims:
http://www.icenews.is/2014/11/18/norway ... er-before/

And this one:
http://www.thelocal.no/20141110/norway- ... immigrants

So it looks like the Islamaphobes twisted a story about the centre-right government setting record numbers in deportations with a recent law change making it easier to deport people back to Afghanistan and Nigeria, and bundled it all up into "824 Mulsims deported" when that isn't even what happened. As for the crime dropping 30%... wow, that figure is off. Crime doesn't EVER randomly drop 30% over 824 people in a few months time, even if every last one of them was a criminal. That is a staggering figure and it doesn't surprise me that it is completely unsourced.

You Muslim haters will believe anything. Total confirmation bias.
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

MekongMouse wrote:Why can't I find anything about this in the mainstream media? I only see it on right-wing fear mongering sites.

I have found this related article from The Guardian, but it paints a very different picture (one with human rights abuses):

I also found this local Nordic site that appears to have no bias and they report that 824 people, not necessarily Muslims:

And this one:

So it looks like the Islamaphobes twisted a story about the centre-right government setting record numbers in deportations with a recent law change making it easier to deport people back to Afghanistan and Nigeria, and bundled it all up into "824 Mulsims deported" when that isn't even what happened. As for the crime dropping 30%... wow, that figure is off. Crime doesn't EVER randomly drop 30% over 824 people in a few months time, even if every last one of them was a criminal. That is a staggering figure and it doesn't surprise me that it is completely unsourced.

Good detective work Mr Mouse

824 Criminals, some of whom were officially followers of Islam, others, no doubt, Christians, Jews and I wager, the odd registered Jedi

:thumb:
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
Demiurgi
Expatriate

Post by Demiurgi »

StroppyChops wrote:According to a qPolitical article, Norway just deported 824 Muslims back to Afghanistan and Nigeria, and the immediate effect was a 30% reduction in violent crime.
As per Norwegian news PU deported 824 people in October 2014, but it doesn't say were they Muslims or not.

To give the big picture Norway's government had ruled that 7,100 people will be deported in 2014. At the end of October 2014, PU had deported 5,876 people.

I don't know how many of those 5,876 or 7100 were Muslims but usually most of the crimes done by foreigners in Scandinavia are done by ex Soviet Union citizens, Polish, Romanians etc.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

StroppyChops wrote:
Joker Poker wrote:I wouldn't be waiting that long personally.

Can you imagine all the lefty crap that would be spewed out in the media if some brave pollie did campaign on it.
From the article above - "That’s right, whopping 30%, and it’s all because a couple of politicians decided to enforce the laws that they already had. What a world we live in where that is a shocking thing to do in a government." The Norwegians are deporting criminals, not-refugees, and illegal returners. Sad that it would be a brave pollie indeed to suggest the same thing in Oz. Where did Norway rank on the penis-size thing, by the way?

Edit: to be fair, and unbiased, I'd like to see if they're also deporting criminals/illegals that are NOT Muslim, or whether this is targeted solely by religion.
You running for pre-selection?
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

EdinWigan wrote:
MekongMouse wrote:Why can't I find anything about this in the mainstream media? I only see it on right-wing fear mongering sites.

And this one:

Good detective work Mr Mouse

824 Criminals, some of whom were officially followers of Islam, others, no doubt, Christians, Jews and I wager, the odd registered Jedi

:thumb:
Thanks! But not all were criminals:
Some of those who have been deported this year were asylum seekers whose asylum applications had been rejected and have now left the country with their families. However, the majority of those who have been thrown out had either committed crimes or returned to Norway illegally after being deported.
I know the asylum seekers make up a small portion of those kicked out, but I'm the type of guy who'd rather see a thousand guilty men walk than a single innocant man behind bars. The Guardian story was really moving.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

MekongMouse wrote:You Muslim haters will believe anything. Total confirmation bias.
Really? Yeah, nah, you must be right because I didn't previously post this:
StroppyChops wrote:Drilling deeper into the news reports behind this post (as one would hate be labeled Islamophobic), many of those deported have simply have refugee applications refused, but many others have been deported for committing crimes, and for illegally returning to Norway after being previously deported..
Oh no, wait, I did.
EdinWigan wrote:824 Criminals, some of whom were officially followers of Islam, others, no doubt, Christians, Jews and I wager, the odd registered Jedi
MekongMouse wrote:Thanks! But not all were criminals
Oh, thank God for MM because I didn't stop to question this. Oh wait...
Demiurgi wrote:I don't know how many of those 5,876 or 7100 were Muslims but usually most of the crimes done by foreigners in Scandinavia are done by ex Soviet Union citizens, Polish, Romanians etc.
Interesting... what's your source for this?
Joker Poker wrote:You running for pre-selection?
LOL! It's probably not surprising that many of my close friends and colleagues are political animals at the state level, with quite a few running for office in a broad spread of parties - Labor, Liberal, National
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

StroppyChops wrote:
MekongMouse wrote:You Muslim haters will believe anything. Total confirmation bias.
Really? Yeah, nah, you must be right because I didn't previously post this:
StroppyChops wrote:Drilling deeper into the news reports behind this post (as one would hate be labeled Islamophobic), many of those deported have simply have refugee applications refused, but many others have been deported for committing crimes, and for illegally returning to Norway after being previously deported..
Oh no, wait, I did.
I don't recall referring to you, just "Muslim Haters" and "Islamaphobes" - do you consider yourself one of these?

Your correction also makes no mention of the fact that there are no known statistics as to how many of these were Muslims. We just know most were criminals and some were denied asylum seekers/refugees. As recently as your very last post before this one, you still seem to think there is any "Muslim" component to this when in reality it was just the right-wing media using a few buzzwords to create a story that doesn't exist. This is your most recent post, btw:
I take your point about the title - if their being Muslim was the core factor for singling out for deportation (and I suspect from the tone of the article that it was) then it could possibly stand, but it's certainly a challenging strategy.
You're still buying into that ridiculous article when they made Fox News look unbiased in their blatant attempt to rewrite a story to fit their own agenda. You should be putting that site on your "never read" list because of such sloppy journalism, but instead you act like it was just a little mistake and continue to give ANY credibility to such rubbish "journalism."
StroppyChops wrote:
EdinWigan wrote:824 Criminals, some of whom were officially followers of Islam, others, no doubt, Christians, Jews and I wager, the odd registered Jedi
MekongMouse wrote:Thanks! But not all were criminals
Oh, thank God for MM because I didn't stop to question this. Oh wait...
I was responding to EW, thanking him for his compliment, but correcting that not all were criminals. Wasn't even talking to you there, so why are you responding to me like I was? I recognize that you didn't think all were criminals, but still take issue with you lapping up this absurd propaganda about Muslims. You obviously didn't dig that much deeper.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

MekongMouse wrote:I don't recall referring to you, just "Muslim Haters" and "Islamaphobes" - do you consider yourself one of these?
Far less than you've demonstrated yourself to be a "Christian Hater" and "Christianophobe".
You're still buying into that ridiculous article when they made Fox News look unbiased in their blatant attempt to rewrite a story to fit their own agenda. You should be putting that site on your "never read" list because of such sloppy journalism, but instead you act like it was just a little mistake and continue to give ANY credibility to such rubbish "journalism."
Yawn.. oh sorry, do go on (and on)...
StroppyChops wrote:Wasn't even talking to you there, so why are you responding to me like I was?
I recognize that you didn't think all were criminals, but still take issue with you lapping up this absurd propaganda about Muslims.
...and on, and on.
Demiurgi
Expatriate

Post by Demiurgi »

StroppyChops wrote:
Demiurgi wrote:I don't know how many of those 5,876 or 7100 were Muslims but usually most of the crimes done by foreigners in Scandinavia are done by ex Soviet Union citizens, Polish, Romanians etc.
Interesting... what's your source for this?
The best source is the Police itself. They have pretty good statistics.
http://www.politi.no
polisen.se
poliisi.fi

But since you probably don't speak any of the three languages I propose to check this one, it's about the deportations in 2014.
https://www.politi.no/vedlegg/lokale_ve ... g_2883.pdf

Look for "Uttransporter i 2014 etter statsborgerskap" table it means deportation by citizenship. There's 3.5 pages of countries, so most of the nations are represented.

Then copy and paste this to Google translate to see that most of the sanctioned nationalities from deported were from Romania, Poland and Nigeria. "I 2014 uttransporterte politiet flest personer ilagt straffereaksjon med statsborgerskap fra Romania (16%), Polen (12%) og Nigeria (12%)."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic