2020 is evil, how was your birth year?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: 2020 is evil, how was your birth year?

Post by phuketrichard »

the lightbulb
Biden claims Black man invented light bulb during campaign event
Biden was likely referring to Lewis Howard Latimer, who, according to a biography by MIT, patented an improved version of an incandescent light bulb in 1881 that could last even longer than Edison's.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:09 pm the lightbulb
Biden was likely referring to Lewis Howard Latimer, who, according to a biography by MIT, patented an improved version of an incandescent light bulb in 1881 that could last even longer than Edison's.
Either you're a lot older than I thought, or you're posting in the wrong thread.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Not sure what was happening when I was born to busy pissing and shitting myself and sucking tit
But once again the Yanks talking politics
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:16 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:09 pm the lightbulb
Either you're a lot older than I thought, or you're posting in the wrong thread.
He does like to tell us what it was like before any of us arrived. I'm keeping my eye open for a secondhand DeLorean for sale in Phuket. #Richard Macfly :bow:
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Shazza
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Shazza »

For me 1966 ,prime minister Menzies retires
Beaumont children disappear
Decimalisation of aussie currency
Seat belts in Holden car's
So that's about it for me,any more and I'll have to Google 🤔
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:10 am There's a former member of this forum called Cam Nivag who is now updating his spreadsheet with your DoBs.

:shock:
Is he also updating the collar size and style of the shirt that I'm not wearing?
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Nixon orders a secret invasion of Cambodia by US and South Vietnamese troops. ...
Concorde makes its first supersonic flight (700 mph/1127 km/h).
The Soviet Moon Rover becomes the first remote-controlled robot to travel on the moon's surface
Beatles have disbanded.
Jimi Hendrix dies of barbiturate overdose in London
Janis Joplin dies in a cheap motel from a heroin overdose
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Protesters requested a permit to levitate the Pentagon 300 feet in the air, through songs and chants, to exorcise it of its evil and end the Vietnam War. Authorities agreed to only 3 feet.

Shizo Kanakuri has the record for the slowest time in the men's Olympic marathon: 54 years, 8 months, 6 days, 5 hours, 32 minutes, and 20.3 seconds. He disappeared in 1912 and was given a chance to finish in 1967. He said, "Along the way, I got married, had 6 children and 10 grandchildren."

Aretha Franklin won the Grammy for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance in 1967, the year the category was created. She also won it in 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, and 1974.

Pamela Anderson was officially Canada's "Centennial Baby", having been the first baby born on July 1, 1967, the 100th anniversary of Canada's official founding.

The Berkeley Barb, a counterculture newspaper, published a fake story about extracting hallucinogenic chemicals from bananas to raise moral questions about banning drugs. People didn't realize it was a hoax and began smoking banana peels to try to get high.

Traffic in Sweden switched from driving on the left-hand side of the road to the right, on September 3, 1967. Approximately 90 per cent of Swedes already drove left-hand drive (LHD) vehicles at the time.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

We don't have the same history book, KFH....but i think i do prefer yours.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

The year was 1953

North Sea flood Netherlands many deaths
Queen Elizabeth II crowned Queen,
Korean War Ends,
First Polio Vaccine Developed,
First James Bond novel Published
Dwight D. Eisenhower is inaugurated as the President of the United States
Nikita Khrushchev became the leader of the Soviet Union
Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay perform the first successful ascent to the summit of Mount Everest.
Cambodia declares its independence from France
Playboy Magazine's 1st issue features Marilyn Monroe as its first cover girl and nude centerfold.
Albert Schweitzer was given the Nobel Peace Prize.
The first color television sets go on sale for about $1,175 in the US
New York adopts three color traffic lights
The Corvette the all American sports car goes on sale
Cigarette Smoking is reported as causing Lung Cancer
U.S. Air Force test pilot Chuck Yeager sets speed record in X-1 rocket plane
my mate Xi Jinping. born

All in all a busy year.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic