This is how to build a Khmer house during COVID-19

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: This is how to build a Khmer house during COVID-19

Post by nemo »

One of the best threads ever.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

Always like these threads, but this is unusual

Whats the reason for not building with new materials ? is it a lot cheaper to buy old houses & re-use the salvageable timber ?

Its got me puzzled :)
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

jaynewcastle wrote:Always like these threads, but this is unusual

Whats the reason for not building with new materials ? is it a lot cheaper to buy old houses & re-use the salvageable timber ?

Refurbished wood is quite nice, and it can often be salvaged/sanded and so on.any old houses also used timber that's no longer available or prohibitively expensive. Plus, the design of many of these houses allows for easy natural ventilation. Brick and mortar buildings absorb a ton of heat. The only thing I never found great was the roofs. I always felt the eaves were too short/narrow.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:40 pm
jaynewcastle wrote:Always like these threads, but this is unusual

Refurbished wood is quite nice, and it can often be salvaged/sanded and so on.any old houses also used timber that's no longer available or prohibitively expensive. Plus, the design of many of these houses allows for easy natural ventilation. Brick and mortar buildings absorb a ton of heat. The only thing I never found great was the roofs. I always felt the eaves were too short/narrow.
Currently wood is crazy expensive and the quality is generally mediocre to poor.

I am building a wooden house on concrete stilts in the Northeast. Illegal village wood sells for 900.000r per M3, but it's illegal of course. The quality is decent to good, and the wood has been dried. You have to know where to look though to find it. These are no signs 'wood for sale' when you drive past.
Wood from the 'legal' depot starts at 370 USD per M3 at the moment, you have to dry it yourself before using. It's the price for shorter pieces. Pieces longer than 6-7 meter sell for 570 USD per M3 at the moment.

The guys building my house are from Kampong Cham. They think I am the cheapest Charley around complaining about the wood prices, the same wood selling for 370 USD in the Northeatst goes for 650 USD per M3 in Kampong Cham. The problem is stock to flow. Stock is nearly depleted. Deforestation has been massive and hardly any tree has been replaced after harvesting. Real good old tropical hard wood is difficult to find these days, so I can understand the choice for second hand wood.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

Thank you for the replies, didn't cross my mind that new wood would be expensive
peacock777
Expatriate
China

Post by peacock777 »

jaynewcastle wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:07 pm Always like these threads, but this is unusual

good question. For one, new wood logs are not always legally available, and secondly, high quality wood in general was a great deal more available in the past comparing to now as now much younger trees are being cut down to be made use of before their time. One of the old houses I bought had small wooden window frames that easily weighed 50kg per piece, very rare nowadays.
I always tried to be correct, not politically correct. :hattip:
peacock777
Expatriate
China

Post by peacock777 »

December update.

Now that 1st floor tiles were done

Since I had columns of better sizes and shapes from latter houses, I decided to use those from the very first house to make a columned wall instead

It came out rather nice, old and nice

Kitchen area in process

By now viewed from neighbour's land

Cleaning of the garden started

and a slated path created

Installed one AC for the 2nd bedroom just in case weather isn't cool all year round

Had a wardrobe built in the master bedroom

Interior walls panelled for the bedrooms

Kitchen nearly done, this I would say is a bit western standard with Khmer characteristics

Looking quite okay now

However, meanwhile not without occasional mischiefs such as yesterday my delivery fellow drove my steel pipes into the Mekong and his tuktuk was announced beyond repair. I did feel sorry.

The whole project is hoped to complete by middle January.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

looks great>>
where will u park the car?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:19 pm looks great>>
where will u park the car?
Not in the same parking lot has the delivery driver one would hope, house looks good, keep those photos coming. :hattip:
Always "hope" but never "expect".
peacock777
Expatriate
China

Post by peacock777 »

Final update, project completed.

ImageImageImage

Master and second bedrooms:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Continued in next page
Last edited by peacock777 on Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic