This is how to build a Khmer house during COVID-19

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: This is how to build a Khmer house during COVID-19

Post by timmydownawell »

Looking forward to seeing more pics, and an idea of how much it all cost, if you would.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
peacock777
Expatriate
China

Post by peacock777 »

AndyKK wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:44 am peacock777 thanks for posting this thread, its been sometime since seing a good building project.
The wooden house you had bought, any ideas of age, and what province did it come from? I like the red tiled roof of this type of house, may I ask if there are (or any sign of) the gable finials at both ends of the roof ridge, this would be nice (in my own opinion) to see, also I hear age can be told by this, builders at sometime made a mark, but also gable finials of age were on collectors lists, I hear some wooden houses on leaving the city of Phnom Penh are around 200 years old.
Super post hope to see more.
Hi Andy, actually I have non. I guess you were talking about the fancy grand old houses, mine are really very basic and modest. The newest of my houses is from late 1990s of which I'm using all the columns, they are quite robust. And the other three are mostly from the 1980s, one oldest is believed to be from the 1970s.

The one problem I found with the traditional commoner house is their eaves being too high and protruding too little beyond the walls resulting in sunlight heating the walls extensively in sunny days and rain fall carried by wind wetting the walls and floor structure in rainy days, it makes little sense to me. So I have made my eaves low and coming beyond the walls by 1.5m, I imagine light will suffer indoors, but we are in the tropics, who wants light?
I always tried to be correct, not politically correct. :hattip:
peacock777
Expatriate
China

Post by peacock777 »

willyhilly wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:28 am I was only thinking yesterday that I should have bought Snowys place and relocated it to the riverside block in Kandal. The boys from Kampot paid $10,000 to have it torn down, trucked to the riverside in Kampot and reassembled. It cost a bit more for footings and replacing rotten timber but it looks great. I forget what they called it but it became a live music venue.
Required high skills from carpenters, a move like that.
peacock777
Expatriate
China

Post by peacock777 »

timmydownawell wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:52 pm Looking forward to seeing more pics, and an idea of how much it all cost, if you would.
It's been raining most of the time for the last month, not much progress. Cost is so far about 35k, job a bit more than half done.
peacock777
Expatriate
China

Post by peacock777 »

November update:

As I have three dogs, and two of them love to play in water, I persuaded the guys to dig a pool for them

now that the ground floor was all finished

two-week heavy rain was about to come, and a sand truck got stuck

during the raining days, wood work went on very slowly on the upper floor

rain finally ended, and roof work started

roof almost done

one of my favourite palm trees was too close to roof, had to cut it down and into pieces.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

what is ur total expected cost?
western kitchen /bathroom?
following the build :thumb: :thumb:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

...I thought, right, I shall share some of my neighbours’ distress...
Perhaps more aptly put as "I thought, right, I shall exploit some of my neighbours’ distress..."

Out of interest, what became of the old Cambodian woman whose house you bought for a knockdown price. Or does that part of your story not interest you?
peacock777
Expatriate
China

Post by peacock777 »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:20 am what is ur total expected cost?
western kitchen /bathroom?
following the build :thumb: :thumb:
Hi Richard, I'm hoping within 47k for both exterior and interior.
Yes, maybe western with Khmer characteristics :)
Last edited by peacock777 on Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
peacock777
Expatriate
China

Post by peacock777 »

simon43 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:28 am
Perhaps more aptly put as "I thought, right, I shall exploit some of my neighbours’ distress..."

Out of interest, what became of the old Cambodian woman whose house you bought for a knockdown price. Or does that part of your story not interest you?
Hello, it's amazing how communist your approach is to the matter.
Well she built a modern concrete and brick villa on the site, in fact, her children did it for her. Maybe her children thought it good timing to "exploit" on the construction industry's distress?
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

simon43 wrote:

Jesus, did he rob her? What an idiotic comment.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic