Another Blogger Has a Terrible Time in Cambodia

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Another Blogger Has a Terrible Time in Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

https://www.indochinapioneer.com/blog-t ... -cambodia/
It's strange how they used the State of Cambodia flag which hasn't been the national flag since 1992.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

The opinions and ideas quoted by these bloggers brings to mind why I have little time for most bloggers in general, and the similar animal- people who vent almost all of their life on Facebook. Narcissistic is the best term, I think.

Citizen of the world? Hardly.
In a bar, they will likely be one of the loudest voices there. Their utterings backed up mostly with gossip, but little substance.
I've met a fair few people like this who chose to work in aviation. Far too many of whom are totally unsuited to going further afield than their local pub, or their local shop. But, give them their due, they've given it a try. Sadly, with a very closed mind and a narrow view of what the world might really be like. They're not adventurers, they're chancers, and they've missed out.
kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: The idea that seeing the world is going from place to place to look at obvious things is an illusion natural to dull minds
A long while back, I was introduced to a term for long haul cabin crew- Olympic Torches. They can go all around the world, and not go out.

An aspect of my job that appeals is that I've been to places that I'd be unlikely to choose to go to on my vacations, maybe get to experience things that otherwise might be missed. Once there, I'll go see what it's like, and if I don't like it, I feel free to leave. (there have been one or two places where feeling free to leave was actually a false sense of security, but that's sometimes part of the adventure.)

For a long while, I wondered is the travel advisories on the UK foreign office website was written by naive types, similar to this Anya character. Now, I have a thought that they might actually be aiming their advice at people like this.
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

popping in wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:27 pm You've never been to KoW ???
The Kingdom of Wonder? Unfortunately, not yet. But itching to go when (if) the world opens again. One thing I do know is that it has to be better than the blogger described it.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I don't read any travel blogs and this thread just reconfirms that I'm not missing anything much of interest. Wide-eyed, obviously not exactly well traveled muppets, the lot of them.

Garbage? Scammers and bums? Try San Francisco, that's where I got a real shock when visiting the first time. It was basically a third world shit hole, and that was in 1999 (it's worse now). And I'm only half joking, maybe I should have blogged about it for therapy!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic