Card details stolen. If I request a new card, can it be shipped from the UK??

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
HappyChappy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Card details stolen. If I request a new card, can it be shipped from the UK??

Post by HappyChappy »

This is the last thing I need!!

What little money I had is now gone. I've just had 100 pounds spent on amazon market place that wasn't me. If I get the card blocked and order a new one to the UK, how can I get it delivered to Phnom Penh. Is that possible???

If i don't have a card I lose access to my cash and I'm totally f****d. I asked santander to put a stop on transactions to amazon..... Clearly that hasn't happened.

Help!!!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Card details stolen. If I request a new card, can it be shipped from the UK??

Post by Kammekor »

HappyChappy wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:15 pm This is the last thing I need!!

What little money I had is now gone. I've just had 100 pounds spent on amazon market place that wasn't me. If I get the card blocked and order a new one to the UK, how can I get it delivered to Phnom Penh. Is that possible???

If i don't have a card I lose access to my cash and I'm totally f****d. I asked santander to put a stop on transactions to amazon..... Clearly that hasn't happened.

Help!!!
Forget it, they will only send it domestic.

Have it send to someone you know and then to the KoW using traced mail.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Card details stolen. If I request a new card, can it be shipped from the UK??

Post by Doc67 »

Help!!!
My son has an HSBC account and in 2016 had a card stolen while in Chile. They have a postal service, we don't here. Despite asking HSBC to DHL his card and charge him for it, they would not. They send it out by post, recorded. He waited 2 weeks and then had to move on to another country as pert of his trip. Despite all their bullshit ads about being stuck in Timbuktu and we'll get your replacement card there in 48 hours, it is all crap. The cards get sent from a distribution centre and they have their delivery systems. I doubt if Santander are any different. When push comes to shop, the banks are useless in a crisis.

Your best bet is to have the card sent to your UK address (the one the bank has for you) and have someone collect it and they DHL it to you here.

As for amazon, just delete the card from your account. Problem solved.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

It’s the cards responsability to get the card to you .
..but mine is from amerika
I had some misses but they send again and again until you get it
I tell them my address is my phone # and get tracking
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
HappyChappy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by HappyChappy »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:28 pm

Help!!!
My son has an HSBC account and in 2016 had a card stolen while in Chile. They have a postal service, we don't here. Despite asking HSBC to DHL his card and charge him for it, they would not. They send it out by post, recorded. He waited 2 weeks and then had to move on to another country as pert of his trip. Despite all their bullshit ads about being stuck in Timbuktu and we'll get your replacement card there in 48 hours, it is all crap. The cards get sent from a distribution centre and they have their delivery systems. I doubt if Santander are any different. When push comes to shop, the banks are useless in a crisis.

Your best bet is to have the card sent to your UK address (the one the bank has for you) and have someone collect it and they DHL it to you here.

As for amazon, just delete the card from your account. Problem solved.
I don't have an amazon account. Someone has taken my details and used it to buy things on amazon. I asked santander to stop all amazon transactions but obviously they haven't.

I don't expect santander to send it to me. But if they send me my card to my UK address I can send it to Phnom Penh can I? I've never done that before, what service do I use and how much does that usually cost??
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

FWIW, I recently received a card posted from the UK. Unfortunately it was the one I had cancelled and not one of the two I actually need and am still awaiting.

Edit: the latter two are Citibank and HSBC so they could be posted from anywhere.
Last edited by timmydownawell on Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Royal mail, about 13 pounds.
HappyChappy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by HappyChappy »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:35 pm Royal mail, about 13 pounds.
Okay and that's reliable mid covid? How long we talkin?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

HappyChappy wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:38 pm
Kammekor wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:35 pm Royal mail, about 13 pounds.
Okay and that's reliable mid covid? How long we talkin?
4-6 weeks.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i always have my cards sent to my sister, (my us address) and than she sends them on to me in a birthday card, (Postage around $1.50)
in 35 years only lost one card

Goes without saying BUT:

If u do this, make sure you tell whoever receives the card to not activate it, but do that when you receive it
....I asked santander to stop all amazon transactions but obviously they haven't.
I dont know who/what santander is but once u report a card lost/stolen it should be canceled by the bank that issued it and cant be used to charge anything more
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic