Card details stolen. If I request a new card, can it be shipped from the UK??

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
LIVIDZX
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Card details stolen. If I request a new card, can it be shipped from the UK??

Post by LIVIDZX »

HappyChappy wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:02 am Ah sounds like a plan. Will I need a family member to activate it or can I activate in PP?? Santander doesn't seem to have a presence out here.
Yeah as Richard says -Activate it yourself, with a HSBC a new card usually comes with a sticker on it with the number to call to activate it - if that's not the case with a Santander card, I'm sure you can find the number on Santander's website, but easiest way to activate it is through online banking if you have that set up with Santander.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Card details stolen. If I request a new card, can it be shipped from the UK??

Post by Bluenose »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:05 pm
Bluenose wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:33 pm Pretty sure DHL, and probably the other courier companies, will only ship cards directly from the issuer. They won’t accept them in shipments from individuals. The scam was that the card that was given to the courier was actually a copy. Between it being picked up and delivered, stuff was paid for on the genuine card, then it was claimed that the card had been fraudulently used while in the possession of the courier company.
The activation and other protocols now mean this is a lot less likely or possible but once bitten, twice shy
1st; wrong news
If u pickup a DHL envelope and place the card inside a birthday card inside the dhl enevelope, how do they know what in the envelope??

2nd
How?
The card can only be activated by the card holder, which has always been in place as far back as i can remember.
1) almost everything from individuals will get checked/scanned/x-rayed, plastic shows up a different color to paper material
2) the original card is activated by the person holding it using info from the owner, but again is done while the card is in the possession of the courier company, so the owner claims that his details were hacked or similar. The other thing is that it need not be a new card but "they lost their card here and I'm just sending it on to him" which means it is already activated.

Anyways, that's the general gist of why courier companies don't like doing it.
ergosemper
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ergosemper »

That's really a sad security system and stories like this is bad advertising for such a bank. My bank in Germany (DKB) and credit card provider (Lufthansa) require a code generated by the bank's app or sent by SMS to the phone number linked to the account before any web-based transaction is approved and processed. The hurdles and hoops one must jump through... it's almost as if they don't encourage customers to buy anything online.

Some of the local banks have better features than those offered by western ones. On my ABA app, for example, I can generate virtual cards and self-configure their limits or even deactivate them when not in use.
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

About four years ago I had my Visa Card "Compromised" and cancelled because of a fraudulent transaction in Hanoi when I was, in fact, in Cambodia.

After a lot of messing around on the phone, a replacement card was sent to me from the Regional Card Centre in Singapore to the hotel I was staying at in Phnom Penh, but only after Visa Card Centre in Singapore had independently checked with the hotel in Phnom Penh that I was actually staying there. It arrived overnight from Singapore and the Hotel Receptionist signed for the package and gave it to me as soon at I entered the hotel.

Unfortunately, my surname is commonly spelt differently to its correct spelling, and as the replacement card surname did not match the correct spelling of my family name in my passport, the replacement card was unusable in Cambodia!

But on return to Australia I received two (2) replacement cards all correctly spelled - one in the mail, one at my local bank branch for personal collection and, on return to Cambodia/Phnom Penh, a third card was awaiting me when I returned to the same hotel!

Not exactly helpful at the time.

OML
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Ot Mean Loi wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:21 pm
Unfortunately, my surname is commonly spelt differently to its correct spelling, and as the replacement card surname did not match the correct spelling of my family name in my passport, the replacement card was unusable in Cambodia!
Where do you need to show a passport to use a credit card?
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

My Hotel Checkout final payment.

The hotel had scanned my passport on check-in and an alert check-out clerk noticed the different spelling of my true name and the spelling on the new/replacement visa card from Singapore and refused to process it.

Fortunately, it was not such a big deal as I always travel with several cards and there was an ABA Bank ATM right outside the hotel, so using my Westpac ATM Handi Card I just with drew sufficient to settled in cash, which is not my norm for a long stay. Fortunately, I had increased my daily withdrawal limit prior to that particular trip.

But to answer your question, when using some cards inside a bank for an over the counter transaction, I have been asked to show my passport. I have no problem with doing so although, generally speaking, it is rare for me to actually carry my passport on my person.

OML
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic