In Cambodia Even the Well-Off Get Done Over by the Truly Rich

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: In Cambodia Even the Well-Off Get Done Over by the Truly Rich

Post by Username Taken »

"The company plans to transform the pond into a mixed green park with lots of trees, a gym, a children's play area, called “Central Park.”"

A pond would look nice in a mixed green park with lots of trees.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

It's a sad case if residents bought these properties because all that was of interest too them was that of a beautiful lake, surrounded by a golf course for wealthy people, it seems like the dream is going to be taken away, more so the residents more of a private veiw. But if the proposal is going to be developed -
The company plans to transform the pond into a mixed green park with lots of trees, a gym, a children's play area, called “Central Park.”
Wow, that sounds good if it's for the general public to enjoy open air, and facilities. How good is that for the people of Phnom Penh to have a substantial park.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Kahuna
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kahuna »

"a mixed green park with blah blah blah" which will in turn turn into more housing with a child's swing on bare dirt not much bigger than a small room as the concession to the original proposal.
Some OPs have said that this may not go ahead (the filling in of the lake) as they will talk to HE but I think 2 tycoons beat some cashed up locals.
I agree with Username Taken and believe that it could be a park with a pond to be used for activities and perhaps some minor retail outlets so the locals do not have to leave their gated community. A lot of the recent housing projects in Saigon have this incorporated and it is quite sought after.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

It's private property, so I don't see why HE would intervene. They should have known better than to assume CM would keep 10HA as a lake when literally any square meter here is turned into cash if they can. Hell, even the government has sold off most public land in the city and elsewhere, and there are no parks anywhere. Pretty gullible of them.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:50 am Pretty gullible of them.
Not really. Possibly one of the big selling points of this borey was the lake and the proximity to and view of it.

I think the homeowners had a reasonable expectation that once they bought into the borey, no major changes to the landscape would occur............at least without discussion / consultation with the homeowners.

This is why gated communities in the west have homeowners associations. So that unilateral decisions drastically changing the landscape cannot go ahead unabated.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

CM is a developer (among other things of course), and you only own the house/land, nothing surrounding it. Your hard title in a borey is pretty limited.

Say Peng Huot Bong Snao decided to tear down that weird quasi-Europe thing they built, the surrounding landowners wouldn't have any say in it. It's still owned/maintained by PH. The developer will get a bad rep for it, but that's it. I get what you're saying and I'd also be pissed, but I think their options are limited.

Now we're talking about 10HA of land, which is a LOT. CM can build thousands of money generating houses there (or something else, like an amusement park or whatever). You think they were going to just keep that lake there forever? Hell, they filled in about three lakes in and around PP since I've been here (and dug some out). I don't think the government is going to give a shit about them. It's just sort of ironic that it's happening to well-off people (and of course the thuggery aspect is disgusting, but oh-so-Cambodia).

Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I think it makes or looks has the developers are that little bit devious in there onward plans, that will of course be more development, they have managed to get the well-off crowd from the start, and that's got to be the ultimate achieved for that is money in the bank. To add to that, the well-offs more then likely aim to do the same in their business, the crowd are making little waves of their displeasures, even to make a statement by gentle protest, I would've thought that is grab a little attention from He, also it may not help the cause, seeming to say we can do but you can't, to the lower classers, but lets not forget the big boss over the years had not held back on class. They can stay or go if they wish, monies are no object.
Development I would say now would be middle working class, young families, that would be reasonable to develop the green area, sports playground and so on.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

The lake just looked like a mosquito breeding ground; unsightly, unmanaged from my drive bys - a well managed park sounds like an improvement.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Spigzy wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:48 am a well managed park

Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Brody wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:59 am
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:50 am Pretty gullible of them.
Not really. Possibly one of the big selling points of this borey was the lake and the proximity to and view of it.

I think the homeowners had a reasonable expectation that once they bought into the borey, no major changes to the landscape would occur............at least without discussion / consultation with the homeowners.

This is why gated communities in the west have homeowners associations. So that unilateral decisions drastically changing the landscape cannot go ahead unabated.
I hope they've named the borey something like Lakeside View. :?

Edit to add - Is this the same place ? There's a golf course and a central park.
post430742.html?hilit=chip%20mong%20park#p430742
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic