GoPro or GoPro Alternative

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: GoPro or GoPro Alternative

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Some inspiration for you, Brody
Drone Awards 2020: the world seen from above (2 days ago)
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... from-above
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

beaker wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:41 pm I use the Eken H9R (now it's like $50. I got mine for $30. 3-4 years ago) was like 1/7 the price of the GoPro 8 ($350. on amazon).
The Eken came with a bunch of accessories and all others gopro accessories are interchangeable.
I can't see why anyone would pay for the name brand GoPro
Here is a video link of the Eken H9 compared to the GoPro 6 (didn't see one for the gopro8 )
I used an Eken and a Hero3 side by side.

Gopro is better video and better build quality imo.

Lately, I have been using a Nikon Key mission, which is asthetically pleasing and more ergonomic than Gopro, but again recording quality, sound capture etc are far better on new Gopro models.

I'll be buying the latest and greatest Gopro whenever the current unit gives up.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:25 pm
beaker wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:41 pm I use the Eken H9R
My kid got one of them recently, it was $55 at G&L Camera Shop on 384. It seems to work fine, I'm not sure how good the stabilizing software is compared to a GoPro. He uses it to make BMX videos and they can be a bit bumpy mounted on the bike, maybe better on a chest/ helmet mount.
The best image stabilization is done with the mount and/or video editing programs
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Brody wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:42 pm
Freightdog wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:11 pm I’ve made some decent, but boring videos on some of our flights.
Brother, I'd love to see those. If you can do it without giving away your identity, post them in the aviation thread. :thumb:
I'll see what I can do- Farcebook got all shitty with me over copyright on some music that I'd edited to fit the videos, and I ended up pulling them off. They were only ever going to be seen by my very few friends, one of who rarely looks, and the other isn't interested, so I don't understand the fuss.

I'll have to find some appropriate music fora round track. I don't upload to you tube, so I'm not sure where to host and post...

AND!

In all cases it's several minutes of your life watching them that you resent never getting back.

Did I mention boring? It's not like we're allowed to hotdog anymore
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

You defintely can't go wrong with with a GoPro. They just released the GoPro Hero 9, so I'm guessing you'll be able to get a killer deal on the GoPro Hero8 Black. The 9 now records in 5K resolution, but that seems a bit over the top right now, and you'd better have one hell of a computer to deal with those files.

I haven't seen those cheaper action cameras mentioned, but I'd be shocked if they come anywhere near as stable as the GoPro 8/9. They have what they called 'Hypersmooth' and it's unbelievable. You can be running with the thing, and the footage will look like you had the camera set up on a track or something. If it gets any better, you can probably drop them, and your footage will be unaffected.

I've loved my DJI Osmo Pocket, but it has a gimble, so it's not nearly as rugged as a GoPro. Which is fine, as I'm an old man and the hell if I do anything dangerous enough to need a drop-proof action camera, lol. The gimble gives it some cool features because it can rotate, but as far as 'smoothness' I still think the GoPros beat it. I think the audio is better than our GoPro 8, but not by much. The biggest downside of this thing is that, while it's small, it's very strange looking, and half the videos I've taken have people asking, 'what's that?,' and me saying, 'it's an Osmo Pocket,' as if that explains everything.

Another one that I've never used at all but many people still use to travel vlog with is the Sony FDR-X3000. It's steady enough to get out the jitters/shakes out of your videos, but not at the GoPro level.

Here is a funny travel vlogger, Harold Baldr, that uses a Sony FDR-X3000, and you can see it's pretty steady:

And here's a random video I took walking around with the Osmo Pocket, and then a motion timelapse of the river near sunset in Battambang, which is made possible by the moving gimble:

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

Whatever you don’t put one on your moto/motorbike crash helmet. No. Just no.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Very good General, like you say smooth and of course excellent quality. The first footage I did on the bike, and yes a cheaper camera. Being pulled up on the shakiness of the footage, yes I admit so, I tried to compensate a little by making rubber mounts, and this was the first ever I have done. But on Cambodian roads and a single cylinder motorcycle (thumper) what can you expect, example would the Go pro be better (probably). But the purpose of the camera was from reading the unfortunate accident caused by would be thief's on motorcycles. Being to have a record of any incident when traveling by my motorcycles. The other thing is of course the camera has a memory card, also it can record to the smartphone, so luckily there maybe some sort of readable device left in case of a accident, here I maybe twice pissed off if my Go pro was in bits on the road and not my $50 camera.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:25 pm
beaker wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:41 pm I use the Eken H9R
My kid got one of them recently, it was $55 at G&L Camera Shop on 384.
I went out to this shop and picked one up today.

Thanks @John Bingham @beaker and the rest of you guys for your helpful replies. I may upgrade to a GoPro if I enjoy this sort of thing.

This little shop was fantastic. Very nice and helpful shop owner with outstanding English. She threw in a free memory card and there is a one month warranty on all of it.

It's amazing the great customer service you can find in these side-street shops.

Anyway, thanks again y'all. :thumb:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

General Mackevili wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:58 am
I've loved my DJI Osmo Pocket, but it has a gimble, so it's not nearly as rugged as a GoPro. W
My kid bought a DJI Osmo Mobile 3 gimbal, it's similar but you use a smartphone for the camera. It can do some pretty cool stuff like tracking people and nice smooth moves. I think it was around $130.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

4 years use of a gopro hero6 black in all weathers both on a scooter and cycle...its still working fine.... for 4K you need fast SD cards which are not cheap...I have two and I think theyare called class 10 cards... but usually record in 2.7K is way good enough for the faffing about I do and I could have saved some money!

The handle bar brackets are another subject I have had several fail on bumpy tracks and expoy resin will fix them for a while but I tied a small string safety line between the two parts...the camera has dangled of this a few times !
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic