Adults depending on their children - social criticism

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Re: Adults depending on their children - social criticism

Post by Phnom Poon »

i think the young should take care of the old
either directly, or through taxes and pensions

alternatively, just leave them to rot as soon as they're useless

oth everyone should 'do' while they can

monstra mihi bona!
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Missus and all the siblings pooled together to buy father a necklace. All the siblings got blessed by father in return, except missus. Even though she contributed the most on the necklace.

Why?

Because she didn’t give a big enough bill to her father.

Because she has a foreigner husband.

Khmer traditional expectations.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

West meets East and how so much of what we could call in any type of comparison to our countries, the efforts and structures are instantly flawed. This could be partly the blame of how things in general seem to take form or are of old set traditions, even how things of normality are conducted in people’s daily lives, how the ever-widening gap between wealth and class continues. But, what of those old traditional social behaviours, some now are seen possible of being an illegal affair, a good example would be underage marriage, this could of course be for the actions of gain, being that it ties two families together, or monetary gain, where hard currency is usually paid to the brides mother in agreement for her daughters hand in marriage, we could ask the question does this still happen? What also of child labour, one reason that is well published is it more then likely takes place because the child’s perants have fallen into debt, does this still apply to what we would call “child forced labour”.
I always hear of talk on the lack of schooling, education or the lack of it seems likely the excuse to the easy answer, far from the truth of right and wrongdoings, but tradition is that of another matter.
Social criticism of whom, more so from who! Would that be of an outsider, or on this subject the resentful payer now he she may have bestowed such a responsibility, my understanding of the subject too, if I am not mistaken in most cases it is passed mainly to the oldest daughter. We also may look on the subject of paying monies to the family, mostly by the poorer of the country, seing that middle class and the rich are that of privileged children, but no doubt the latter may have higher demands placed upon themselves.
Definition of dysfunctional is something that is flawed and doesn't operate correctly, or someone that deviates from normal and accepted social behaviours. I could not agree more with this definition, you can read my lines, or that of between them, you as a whole are most welcome, and we will all have our so-called opinions, be it that traditions are old ways, or the responsibilities are of a wrongdoing.
Again, a country without a social system in place, and working effective what choice is left too the people it concerns. But again, is it not so, army personal and government workers have a pension fund? I imagine in time there will be change, let’s not forget our countries were also once without a social system. Then again in today’s day to day do you help (or have) helped your own mother and family out, even when there’s need or not.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

monomial wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:14 pm Not sure what it is you don't understand. Everything you say is true from a Western perspective. But that is irrelevant here.

From an Asian perspective, the parents supported the children up until they were old enough to work, and it is simply common sense that the children must now support the parents once they can work. If you are wealthy enough to move out completely on your own then good for you, but that doesn't relieve you of your fiscal responsibilities to the larger family. You are always welcome to continue living at home if you want. There is no stigma attached to this as there is in the West. It is your choice to leave and live elsewhere. As you note, it isn't really a complete transfer of responsibility from parent to child immediately as soon as the child enters the workforce. Instead, it is merely contributing and helping out in the beginning, and the expectations of increased payments become larger as the parents get older and are presumably less able to contribute to the family finances.

Do parents expect this? Of course they do. It is the culture. We took care of you...now you help take care of us. In the good families the parents keep working as long as possible in addition to receiving money from the children. In the bad ones, they become lazy and start depending completely on the children, especially if the children have means. No different than people in the West who become dependent on government social services rather than working for a living. There are all different kinds with different values.
From a functional perspective (as I really don't believe this is a cultural issue!), younger generations can support the elderly best and most fairly through a taxation/pension system. It is not about taking care of one another; families always take care of one another, regardless of the welfare they do or don't receive. The notion that just because a Westerner moves out of home means that he/she stops caring about the parents and/or helping them, and runs free unfettered from family responsibility is ridiculous and false - the reality is that they just don't need to support them financially because they live in systems where the state does that for them, and makes sure that all elderly people receive the same treatment. In countries that don't have strong welfare systems, it is natural, and right, for the children to support their parents, as I support my mother-in-law. That does not make the system right though, as you say it is open to exploitation by "bad families", and overall is a massive contributor to social inequality.
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

Think about this from a Cambodian perspective - not from your secure income first world developed country perspective.
Take off the rose tinted spectacles.
This expectation of the younger generation to support the older generation has been in place in Cambodia for centuries if not longer.

Life and work is hard in Cambodia.
Average life expectancy is short in Cambodia for both males and females even today by international standards.
If you doubt any of this simply refer to the annual UN publications - Progress of Nations (PON) and State of the Worlds Children (SOWC).

Cambodia does not have:

Quality National Universal Health Care as we know it.

Comprehensive Social Security as we may know it, including universal pensions in old age.

National Electrification Grid to all households other than the most remote.

Potable water to WHO standards is not "On Tap" to all Households nation wide other than in the most remote regions.

Universal free education still leaves a great deal to be desired.

Field defection is the norm rather than town/mains sewerage in far too many rural areas. And attendant problems of communicable diseases.

It has always been this way and until national government priorities and policies and budgetary allocations change quite significantly it will remain this way.

What you are complaining about is a very practical solution to a very real problem.

Just look at the national statistics on morbidity.

OML
Johno35
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Johno35 »

The problem is that so often even when electricity, sewage, food & shelter are sorted, this practical solution is not about survival or subsistence but a means for parents to keep face. And so often it is a vile, heartless greed. I came as a bleeding heart who pitied the Cambodians and initially saw it as a means of subsistence and survival. There are times where I do respect the tradition. When kids are reverent to their elders and when the elders do not exploit their children for their own greedy face saving ambitions. Unfortunately when it is the latter, I view it as the pinnacle of selfishness.
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

But Johno35, average it out over the Cambodian population and their needs and where do you stand on this issue?

You sound hostile to a very workable, traditional and equitable local solution to a very real national problem - total absence of universal old age pensions and universal free health care.

OML
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

siliconlife wrote:From a functional perspective (as I really don't believe this is a cultural issue!), younger generations can support the elderly best and most fairly through a taxation/pension system.
There’s a whole village of elderly Khmer, well maybe a few temple’s worth, waiting to be sponsored to the west as soon as possible to live off of the pension system. I’m reminded every time I visit.

Want to be a bleeding heart sponsor them all?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

This is one good reason to adopt adults (as opposed to kids) in Cambodia. They can start giving you money straight away and you can sit back and let them take care of you.
Adults usually cook better as well. ;-)
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

In the UK I would say it's more common the other way round. Children depending on thier folks. And when I say children I mean men and women born in the 70s and 80s!

Pretty much all the parents of the friends I grew up with are far wealthier than thier children.. And I mean both now and if they look back to where they were financially at the same age.

I would imagine the best time to be born ever, in all of human history, was sometime between 1950 and 1965. Those guys had it all.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic