Land Appropriation in Siem Reap

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Land Appropriation in Siem Reap

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

This pretty well explains and wraps up this subject:

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... ut-protest

Other than for those who believe in conspiracies.

OML
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Element6 »

link doesn't work for me
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Element6 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:02 pm link doesn't work for me
Works for me.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
mehfisto
BANNED
Australia

Post by mehfisto »

samrong01 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:56 am The people did have title to the land. All of the land titles were registered in the land office but in many cases the office refused to issue hard title
Why does this happen?

The registration is legal, yes?

So why does the govt refuse to force them to issue hard titles?
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

Ot Mean Loi wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:37 pm This pretty well explains and wraps up this subject:

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... ut-protest

Other than for those who believe in conspiracies.

OML
Why would you believe the Phnom Penh Post which just reports what it is told by the government? The "journalist" has not moved from his desk to write this article. Its true there have not been protests (there were some protests at Angkor Wat) and this is inexplicable given that so many people's lives have been destroyed. There are also quite a number of people who have refused outright to comply including the owners of the Old Market and the owners of the Goldiana Hotel. To say the people did it "voluntarily" is laughable as there was the usual intimidation. Protests may yet eventuate when the bulldozers arrive or when (or if) HE comes to Siem Reap. The current story is he is coming on 27th October but this changes almost daily.

My street now looks like Nuremberg after the war. Almost all the people are gone. Today I saw bulldozers at the Siem Reap International School - looks like they are taking half of the school's land. I guess according to the government line they were "illegally occupying government land".
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

Photos below of protests in Siem Reap yesterday (11 October). As predicted shock and despondency are turning to anger. According to the Phnom Penh Post the government has now admitted that over 2000 properties are affected unlike the 100 they originally claimed.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=229 ... 8775218213
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

38-Road Construction Project to Turn Siem Reap into Potential Tourism Hub
AKP Phnom Penh, November 30, 2020 --
The construction of 38 streets in Siem Reap provincial city, home to the famous Angkor temples, began this morning, aiming to transform the city into a potential tourism attractive hub.

The groundbreaking ceremony was held under the presidency of Samdech Akka Moha Sena Padei Techo HE, Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Cambodia.

The project, to build and restore 38 streets with the total length of some 108 kilometres, is estimated to cost about US$150 million.
Through the project, Siem Reap will become a smart and potential tourism city set by the Royal Government as a core national development zone and a cultural, historical and natural tourism destination.

By Chea Vannak, photos by Hun Yuthkun
- AKP
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

Yes after the dear leader departed further destruction was commenced by the brave and resolute Cambodian army (There were some grumbles from them that they just get their standard army pay to do all this work). All the pretty new equipment inspected by our glorious leader was replaced with army equipment. The one near my house broke down within hours. I had discussed with friends earlier that work could not commence until the electrical lines were rerouted. I was wrong. The army just knocked down the wires without regard to the local residents and the electricity company said that if we still wanted electricity we all had to pay for the lines to be rerouted. According to our village head we are all ecstatically happy to have our land stolen and being forced to pay for the changes to the electrical lines and for the destruction of our own property. We are thrilled to see our streets reduced to rubble and applaud the dear leaders vision and love for his people.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

We've had about 4 power outages over the past few weeks. To their credit, after a day with basically no power - I went out to the road and in a good nature asked what the heck was going on? And that my wife said I need a shower! (I can actually take one outside when we don't have power). They got it back up and running that evening around 8pm and from then on the outages have only been for a few hours at a time during the day.

On a separate note - and a less positive one. I watched with my own two eyes dirt being dug up from underneath the previous road and being trucked off to a local condo owner's additional land - and dumped and spread out for him. For about two hours, It was every other load from the digging. Undoubtedly, later they will either pay for new dirt to be trucked in to complete the road or that section of the road will easily flood. What was almost comical was that the road crew was refusing to fill up the dump trucks that were there to haul off the dirt - they had one dump truck to collect the dirt and dump it nearby for use later. - so those trucks drove down the road and parked. Then the guy drives in and yells at them to start filling up the other dump trucks. At least 10 to 12 loads "disappeared" this way while I stood watching.

They are a long way from completing anything near where we live - just seem to be knocking stuff down, including tons of trees and bushes along various roads - including a few that I find hard to believe are part of any construction from this effort (small side roads including a couple that are dirt roads). We'll see what the end result is.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

New twist to the story is that the "army" guys were not army guys at all. They said they were told to dress as soldiers in order to intimidate the people (and were provided with real uniforms). They also applied army insignia to their equipment. I guess the government was expecting a lot more protest. The population is now so cowed by the lack of any opposition and terrified of COVID they are no longer willing to protest.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic