Land Appropriation in Siem Reap

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Land Appropriation in Siem Reap

Post by atst »

Every government in the world will reprocess your land home for big development it's nothing new , but very hard on the people involved most loss out.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

If you’ve got hard title it can’t be taken by the government, or at least they’ll give compo (much like western governments who can take your home if they wish - HS1 and HS2). Show me one example and I’ll eat my hat.

You still haven’t told us what types of titles your neighbors had if any.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

samrong01 - Are you an effected "Titled" land owner?

Or are you just going on what people say to you?

If you are an effected "Titled" land owner, have you taken your "Title" and had it checked out against the province land title records?

Have you had your land holding "surveyed" to establish beyond all reasonable legal doubt its EXACT location and boundaries relative to the claimed state land road easement?

Have you clearly identified through any form of survey or measurement EXACTLY where the State Road Easement or land ownership is in relationship to your "land"?

Some years ago I had to pay for a land survey in Ang Snoul District, Kandal province, and it was worth every penny of the cost as it was proof positive as to the exact location and boundaries of the land involved.

Are you a Cambodian citizen? Because only Cambodian nationals may own/hold title to land. The law for "Corporate" "ownership is different to that of "Private" ownership or occupancy.

OML
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:39 pm Can you show is on a map the exact locations? It still sounds like road widening to me and you haven't elaborated. This isn't anywhere else, so I suspect you're either misreporting what's happening or don't have a full understanding of it. Not trying to be a dick, but nothing makes sense.

-----------------------

I won't claim to know exactly what or how much is going on. I saw (with my own two eyes) an excavator razing structures off route 6 about 3-4 days ago. It was on the left as I drove towards the river coming into town - believe it was prior to Wat Bo road and the structures being taken down were not small stands/shacks.

I also saw yesterday and today driving on Tep Vong through the traffic light (at the gas station/burger king) down around the corner to the right (as if going to route 6 and the 1st or 2nd block up (I believe the street is Oum Khun) the facades and overhangs being taken down (yesterday) and work being done to take down those buildings (today - at least it appears that is what they are working to do). Now unlike what I saw a few days ago - this work appeared to be controlled and attempting to take the buildings down in a way to allow the material to be reused - certainly the signs and overhangs were taken down this way - they were still propped up along another building down the side street when I drove by today. Those buildings have been there a LONG time.

Exactly what the overall plan is I have no idea. There are several other streets that have been blocked off since yesterday - the most visible probably off the circle down by the river down from the old market. It appeared that street (which intersects with Sivatha) is being widened and having drainage put in but I haven't been down it recently. Sok San road appeared to being widened a few days ago but again I didn't go down to take a look at what is going on or if structures were impacted.

The other area I saw excavators a few days ago was north of route 6 - I'm not as familiar with that part of town so I don't know the street name.

In the area outside town where we live what is being done would be described as road widening. Only a few small structures were taken down and some guesthouses will no longer have a "parking lot". A few restaurants and shops have had to "move back" a few meters. And the road is now in shambles. Its getting really somewhat dangerous and is in danger of totally falling apart in a few places. I'm expecting a serious accident in the next week or two as there are still enough idiots that think they should be able to go down the street at 60-70. Either they are going to hit a huge pothole and veer off the road or they are going to swerve and run over someone on a motorbike and kill them.

That is about what I can add from what I've seen.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

Obviously there are plenty of people who do not want to believe the government would take land with hard title. I keep seeing more and more people who have had their land taken with hard title. Today my friend who is a prominent businessman just had 2 metres of the land on his new house taken. There is absolutely no doubt that he has a hard title. More than happy to introduce him to the gentleman who would eat his hat. Please dont forget to bring your hat.

In regard to my own land, I never said I had a hard title myself - I have a title registered in the land office and an official receipt with dimensions etc. In fact the new road is to my advantage financially but I never wished to profit at the expense of my neighbours. The fact remains that whether you have a hard or soft title the government will do as it pleases.

Thanks to TWY for reporting what he has seen. The current demolition is controlled because it is being done by the landowners themselves. They have been told that the government will penalise them if they do not demolish their structures at their own expense. The widening along the Oum Khun road is relatively minor and there is no doubt that much of the signage there was located on government land. Its more difficult to see the demolitions on the new roads (I only know about the new airport road) as they are on land hidden from view. Head for Khmer Pub street if you want to see more extensive demolitions.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

Ot Mean Loi wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:04 pm samrong01 - Are you an effected "Titled" land owner?
Yes

Or are you just going on what people say to you?
I also have talked to many people who are affected to a greater or lesser extent. Some have lost everything others not so much. Everybody's circumstances are different but a majority have hard title.

If you are an effected "Titled" land owner, have you taken your "Title" and had it checked out against the province land title records?
Yes I did this at the time I bought the land

Have you had your land holding "surveyed" to establish beyond all reasonable legal doubt its EXACT location and boundaries relative to the claimed state land road easement?
Not surveyed, I measured it myself and checked it against the commune land titles map (not sure the technical term for it).

Have you clearly identified through any form of survey or measurement EXACTLY where the State Road Easement or land ownership is in relationship to your "land"?
Yes I know exactly the dimensions and location of my land. We are not talking about a huge piece of land. I always knew precisely that I did have a small encroachment of less than a metre on public land.

Some years ago I had to pay for a land survey in Ang Snoul District, Kandal province, and it was worth every penny of the cost as it was proof positive as to the exact location and boundaries of the land involved.
Your survey will make no difference if the government decides they want your land.

Are you a Cambodian citizen? Because only Cambodian nationals may own/hold title to land. The law for "Corporate" "ownership is different to that of "Private" ownership or occupancy.
The land is in the personal name of a Cambodian national so therefore is in private ownership.

OML
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Element6 »

samrong01 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:42 pm I measured it myself and checked it against the commune land titles map (not sure the technical term for it).
sameong the commune land titles are not necessarily aligned with the national land registry so maybe your neighbour's have done the same and assume that the local records are definitive but they are not.

As an example I bought some land and most but not all posts were already in. Got the local ministry of land guys to come and confirm the existing posts and locate the missing ones using their handheld GPS (their choice orlf equipment not mine)

Roll forward a short time and with the help of a friend I got all the posts rechecked by MoL but this time using their LMAP equipment. not one of the original or 'new' posts was correct with most posts being moved to my disadvantage.

I think the point which a previous poster is trying to make is that even if we hold the piece of hard title paper in our hand, unless our understanding of the exact boundaries have been confirmed by a proper surveyor/MoL then what we think we own may not actually be what we do own
peter.john
Tourist

Post by peter.john »

whatwat wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:35 pm If you’ve got hard title it can’t be taken by the government, or at least they’ll give compo (much like western governments who can take your home if they wish - HS1 and HS2). Show me one example and I’ll eat my hat.

Better start eating your hat,i used to own a real estate business in Australia, if the local gov or state gov or the federal gov needs your land they can and will take it most times without fair market value,some times no compo at all, been there done that, i had a place with freehold title in West Australia the local gov needed a third of my land to widen a road,they took it, did they give me anything for this,yes a letter and increased my land tax,so it does happen
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

peter.john wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:52 pm
whatwat wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:35 pm If you’ve got hard title it can’t be taken by the government, or at least they’ll give compo (much like western governments who can take your home if they wish - HS1 and HS2). Show me one example and I’ll eat my hat.

Better start eating your hat,i used to own a real estate business in Australia, if the local gov or state gov or the federal gov needs your land they can and will take it most times without fair market value,some times no compo at all, been there done that, i had a place with freehold title in West Australia the local gov needed a third of my land to widen a road,they took it, did they give me anything for this,yes a letter and increased my land tax,so it does happen
That’s not an example in this case and my example was what can and does happen.

Try again realtor.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
Soyoung123
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soyoung123 »

Apparently land/building near caltex received a 1.5 million offer last year. it was appropriated by government. no word on compensation. should have sold
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic