Land Appropriation in Siem Reap

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Re: Land Appropriation in Siem Reap

Post by daeum_tnaot »

I was shocked to read this and what a horrible tragedy. For those who seem all too ready to pass judgement and say "why didn't they get hard title?" they may not be familiar with how expensive it is to get hard title- unreasonable cost in my view. Not only is it expensive but the regulations seem opaque to me- little transparency. No accountability for inexplicable delays in getting services rendered.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

Can’t get hard title on government land.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

It's very simple daeum_tnaot...

... Regardless of type of title, or even no title, unless you legally own the land you can't build on it. And most certainly not on land owned by the State.

OML
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

It may seem hard to understand but the land being stolen is NOT government land unless you adhere to the Khmer Rouge philosophy that all land is government land. The land being taken is all urban land and has a wide range of titles from full hard title to not so much. None of it is Apsara or commune registered land. I have seen the original plans that were done years ago. In my area they showed a road about 3 km long going nowhere and it seems that an extension to the airport was added to the plan recently and apparently not published.

There is no pressing need for any of the works going on although there is a pressing need for more road maintenance. The existing road to the airport could easily be transformed into a 4 lane or even 6 lane road if needed.

My theory is that this is being done as an exercise in power from Phnom Penh. There has been much lobbying going on from Siem Reap over the destruction of the tourist industry and I suspect that this is a punishment for the provincial government for protesting too much.

The government has said that all these projects will be completed by 16th November which they must know is nonsense. I predict that demolition works will proceed until then and a stretch of a few hundred metres will be completed for the Minister to open. I doubt there will be much activity after that.
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

samrong01

I feel you need to refresh yourself with the basics of "Land Law" in Cambodia, starting with :

Cambodian Constitution 1993 ( As amended) which is the basis for all legislation relating to "Land Law" in Cambodia, especially Article 14.17.4

The Land law of 1992 was repealed and replaced by Land law 2001.

Then proceed to reading the Land law 2001 passed on 20 July of that year and which is the current Law. And an authorised but unofficial English translation of which may be found here:

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp ... CAk&uact=5

But broadly speaking, all land NOT held under a specific form of title does belong to the State of Cambodia.

OML
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

And also if you build within a certain distance to any government structure (road) or natural causeway (river, sea) you’re doing so illegally.

You still don’t say if your neighbors land is hard title where “they lost everything” or some crappy soft title or if they are squatting, even if it’s for 15 years.

When they filled in that lake in PP they compensated some residents, even if they were illegal. Many families then moved up there and said they’d been there for years (I know this because my ‘uncle’ did it) so they fucked it up for everyone.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

It would seem that there are some people who post on this forum that are kind of condescending.

Let me be the one to inform you that you are not the only one with a brain and the only one who can read.

Something to keep in mind.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

Stop talking cryptically.
People simply asked a question from the start and it still hadn’t been answered.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Can you show is on a map the exact locations? It still sounds like road widening to me and you haven't elaborated. This isn't anywhere else, so I suspect you're either misreporting what's happening or don't have a full understanding of it. Not trying to be a dick, but nothing makes sense.

A good example would be those who love near the railways in Phnom Penh. None of them have hard titles and they've been told numerous times that they need to move. Of course they don't, but their time will come as the rules are clear as to how many meters from the railways you need to be. They're hoping for a cash payout, but they probably would have been better off going somewhere 15 years ago when prices were cheap than now as once they decide to make roads there they'll all be told to pack up. Many of those dwellings are no more than 6m deep, so they'll lose everything in most cases.

In your case it's not clear whether it's major road expansion, or a new road cutting through the middle of fields or something.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

Extraordinary how many people believe that the law matters in Cambodia. Reality is that regardless of what piece of paper you have or what lawyers you use the fact is if the government wants your land they will take it and whether or not they give compensation is entirely up to them. You may choose to believe it or not but land is being taken from people with hard titles without compensation.

To be clear the new road to the airport is being extended from Khmer Pub Street. Widening is taking place on Watbo Road, the road next to the old market (currently being disputed by the government department in charge of preserving old buildings - not sure of the name), the Ring road, Kroline (do not know spelling) Market and more that I have not seen for myself totaling 38 projects. Obviously the government is not publishing details of all 38 projects. Drive down any of these roads to see demolition all over the place. Talk to the landowners and ask them what title they have. I have done this and the majority say they have hard title.

Currently they are taking land for roads. In future they may want your land for shopping malls, resort hotels, or any project that the government sees fit to carry out.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic