Land Appropriation in Siem Reap

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Land Appropriation in Siem Reap

Post by hanno »

In my road, people have been given 3 days to clear out. I only lose 1 meter of my front yard; neighbouring houses are being razed completely.
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

This sentence says it all...

...“While inspecting the roads we found some buildings which were not built according to official land plans and encroach on the state land. The buildings will need to be removed and there will be no compensation,” he said...

The full article may be read here:

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50767974/n ... ws-mixed-r

OML
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:50 am Oh I am not doubting that this is indeed happening, but in my experience if people were losing their legally owned, hard Titled land without compensation then there would be an uproar and would be all over social media, just seems odd that those affected are not making their voices heard.
----------------

I agree with your sentiment. IMO, partially its due to the short notice. And partially, its because from what I've seen (which certainly isn't 100% of the town) there were only 2 areas currently being demolished. I've seen surveyors around town for a while now and if there are indeed 38 projects which will impact people then I'd assume as all of them pick up something will be shown via facebook.

In the area I live, its only a road widening project and several of the people impacted slightly actually knew they would be once surveying began. Most impact is on some guest houses that had "parking lot" on the side of the road and a couple of restaurants and shops that had also intruded into what was supposed to be the road. I'm not aware of anyone's home being demolished. But I definitely saw homes/buildings being demolished the other day and it was in broad daylight and certainly the area off route 6 somewhat close to the river was plain to see for most of the city that drives by during the day.

And lets face it - so many Khmer people have been driven from land that I think some folks are just numb to it - just part of life. What would be nice is for the government to follow up and penalize the government officials that approved the land sales that are now being considered to have intruded on government property, and then in some way compensate those that were misled.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

I'd add that I sure hope they are going to actually put in new roads as they have totally destroyed a perfectly good road the past few months where we live - its literally falling apart currently as just too many heavy trucks and equipment being moved around.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

PSD-Kiwi wrote:Oh I am not doubting that this is indeed happening, but in my experience if people were losing their legally owned, hard Titled land without compensation then there would be an uproar and would be all over social media, just seems odd that those affected are not making their voices heard.
Though it sucks, I'm assuming all dwellings were built alongside a road which had expansion plans and thus hard titles were never issued. Now people either rend up with a lot less land, or have to move and lose everything if their land wasn't very deep. Even on hard titled land you have to keep 3m from the edges. Some areas it's 12m+.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Soyoung123
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soyoung123 »

Taphul Road is being cleared out today. Lot of demolition working. Probably a meter or two on both sides.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

In a sense you could count yourself lucky if it was a major road being put down by national or provincial gov.

If it is a small road/lane that is being repaired or upgraded by local gov (commune? district?) the adjacent landholders are often made to provide or pay for the materials AND do the actual work themselves - under close direction of course.
Not sure exactly how it works, but I have seen that happen often enough in PP and in the provinces. Never heard a peep of protest, at most a shrug of "Yep, that's the way it is".

First time i learned about it was in my very earliest days staying on the lake.
The busy end of the "main" small road heading into the tourist part was upgraded to concrete and suddenly one day all the shopkeepers wives and sons were out there, doing the digging, putting down the reo bar and pouring concrete. - half a lane, one property wide, bit by bit right up the road. One family at at time.
And i believe they had to pay for their own little section of the project too.

Has anybody experienced that as a landowner themselves?
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

No, they probably just decided to do it themselves and you assumed it was the government's initiative.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that, Lex. ^^
But thinking and remembering thru the instances i have seen, you could be right.
However it was definitely not haphazard. Maybe organised themselves by a formal or informal commune/community initiative. ??
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

Yes I have seen it happening near my house and I have done some myself. Its not from the government - the road just gets so bad from lack of maintenance that the residents get together to try and do something. Perhaps a more prosperous community will pay for a cement road but poorer places will just spread material to try and smooth out the road. I have dumped several truckloads of stones at various times.

Its true that some of the current projects are just widening by a few metres but other projects are completely new roads like the road to the airport. Not much demolition is going on yet - its supposed to start tomorrow. A lot of current demolition work is being done by the landowners to salvage materials.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic