ASEAN lockdown

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

ASEAN lockdown

Post by Khmu Nation »

Apologies if this had already been discussed.

Does anyone have any information about when lockdown might end for travel between countries in the region?

By that I mean normal freedom of movement with no quarantine.

Particularly interested in Vietnam as I usually spend my Christmas vacation there. Do you think I will be able to go to Vietnam in late December?
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: ASEAN lockdown

Post by nerdlinger »

No idea. But Covid isn’t likely to disappear anytime in the next year, so there’s no reason to suppose quarantine restrictions will significantly change. Maybe if we’re very lucky testing will get better and the quarantine duration will be lowered to 7 days, but I wouldn’t count on it.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

To my knowledge no ASEAN government has even announced a plan to return to normal. It seems they are perfectly happy with the elimination of the tourism industry.

Countries open to normal tourism or with plans to open can be found here: https://www.traveloffpath.com/countries ... lete-list/. This website is pretty up-to-date. The Caribbean is a great place for a holiday and is mostly open. Getting there may be a problem.
Ong Tay
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Ong Tay »

Khmu Nation wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:37 am Apologies if this had already been discussed.

Does anyone have any information about when lockdown might end for travel between countries in the region?

Particularly interested in Vietnam as I usually spend my Christmas vacation there. Do you think I will be able to go to Vietnam in late December?
There's been nothing in the news here about re-opening Vietnam to "normal" tourism in 2020. Possible, but unlikely.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

if all goes well, ( no increase in infections) with the limited number of Tourists soon to be, Maybe admitted to Thailand next month

POSSIBLE, Maybe the new year......
once Thailand feels it safe to open, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia will follow
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Khmu Nation wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:37 am Apologies if this had already been discussed.

This is a story from a couple days ago:

Over 100 arrive in Vietnam on first commercial flight in six months
https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/over- ... 67324.html
A total 104 passengers from South Korea, including three children, landed at Hanoi’s Noi Bai International Airport on Friday afternoon, marking the first inbound commercial flight in six months.
Passengers onboard the VN417 flight from Incheon International Airport in Seoul were Vietnamese citizens and South Korean investors.

All passengers furnished a certificate confirming they had tested negative for the novel coronavirus via real-time reverse transcription–polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) method three days prior to boarding the flight. Each supplied quarantine registration papers for Vietnam and installed Bluezone, a Bluetooth-based app that helps determine if a person has come into close contact with a Covid-19 patient
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Though the government allowed the resumption of commercial flights, foreign tourists have yet to be allowed back into the country.

The only foreigners currently allowed entry are those carrying diplomatic or official passports, experts, managers, high-skilled workers, and investors, their family members, international students, and family members of Vietnamese citizens.
So, things are moving in the right direction, so maybe in 3 months, if all goes well, tourists will be able to visit Vietnam, but of course only time will tell.

Where do you like to visit or stay in Vietnam?? Just curious...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

samrong01 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:06 am To my knowledge no ASEAN government has even announced a plan to return to normal. It seems they are perfectly happy with the elimination of the tourism industry.

Countries open to normal tourism or with plans to open can be found here: https://www.traveloffpath.com/countries ... lete-list/. This website is pretty up-to-date. The Caribbean is a great place for a holiday and is mostly open. Getting there may be a problem.
While I dont think any country is happy about the end of tourism, there are signs that they are beginning to understand that relying on tourists for a large percentage of GDP is always going to be a risk from this point on, and that the economies have to readjust to allow for that. The hotel, restaurant and hospitality sectors in general will contract, bankruptcies will increase, unemployment will rise. Governments will rework their budgets in line with their income. Eventually people will be retrained and redeployed, investors will look at other profitable sectors of the economy. Market forces will always win out in the end, and the days of the bargain basement tourist are over, like in the 50's and 60's, travel will be the preserve of the well-off. Well that's what my crystal ball says and I'm sticking to it.
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

sigmoid wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:13 am

This is a story from a couple days ago:

Over 100 arrive in Vietnam on first commercial flight in six months
https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/over- ... 67324.html
A total 104 passengers from South Korea, including three children, landed at Hanoi’s Noi Bai International Airport on Friday afternoon, marking the first inbound commercial flight in six months.
Passengers onboard the VN417 flight from Incheon International Airport in Seoul were Vietnamese citizens and South Korean investors.

All passengers furnished a certificate confirming they had tested negative for the novel coronavirus via real-time reverse transcription–polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) method three days prior to boarding the flight. Each supplied quarantine registration papers for Vietnam and installed Bluezone, a Bluetooth-based app that helps determine if a person has come into close contact with a Covid-19 patient
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Though the government allowed the resumption of commercial flights, foreign tourists have yet to be allowed back into the country.

The only foreigners currently allowed entry are those carrying diplomatic or official passports, experts, managers, high-skilled workers, and investors, their family members, international students, and family members of Vietnamese citizens.
So, things are moving in the right direction, so maybe in 3 months, if all goes well, tourists will be able to visit Vietnam, but of course only time will tell.

Where do you like to visit or stay in Vietnam?? Just curious...
Saigon. I lived there for 5 years and miss it. Great city to visit, not so great to live there.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

Alot of District One in Saigon is completely reliant on tourism ranging from penny pincher backpackers to extremely wealthy groups of Koreans and Chinese.

I might be wrong but I imagine the local economy of Q1 is desperate for the return of tourists, all the way from the upmarket places like The Rex Hotel down to the xe om drivers who congregate on De Tham.
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

Khmu Nation wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:27 am Alot of District One in Saigon is completely reliant on tourism ranging from penny pincher backpackers to extremely wealthy groups of Koreans and Chinese.

I might be wrong but I imagine the local economy of Q1 is desperate for the return of tourists, all the way from the upmarket places like The Rex Hotel down to the xe om drivers who congregate on De Tham.
I am not so sure about that. Last time I lived in HCM (I left there in 2016) the shops and malls of D1 were full of locals. Sure, some foreign tourists on the streets and in the bars, but the main area was Pham Ngu Lao - the cheap end of town. Vincom, Diamond Plaza etc, all local shoppers. Rex will always do ok, especially since the reno, with foreign dignitaries etc. On the same note, last time in Hanoi, at Royal City, you would be hard pushed to see a foreigner there.
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic