Adopting an adult in Cambodia legally.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jack.R.
Expatriate

Adopting an adult in Cambodia legally.

Post by Jack.R. »

Can a cambodian adult adopt another adult?
In several asian countries this is possible and it's possible also in the west.
This is usually done out of respect, for inheritance reasons and religious reasons.
I am very curious about this but I can't find much.
Thanks and best regards.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Adopting an adult in Cambodia legally.

Post by phuketrichard »

I have never heard of this anywhere
can u please enlighten me on

....This is usually done out of respect, for inheritance reasons and religious reasons.

Thanks
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:12 pm I have never heard of this anywhere
can u please enlighten me on

....This is usually done out of respect, for inheritance reasons and religious reasons.

Thanks
I too had never heard of this but it seemed plausible for the reasons the OP stated so .... here ...

adopting a person who is an adult

cut and paste that into google and behold the power of the Internet and it's never ending ability to educate and inform.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Few years ago my girlfriend and I were given a adult boy he was about 24 then becomes we didn't have any kids, he calls me dad and my girlfriend mum she's was 28-29
Was on a bus coming back from sihanouk years ago sitting next to some government guy talked to him about it he thought it was normal,
but now I'm stuck with another dependant, maybe that's what it's all about.
So yes it does happen, I do wonder what the boy thinks being given away from his parents totally weird
Would note he wasn't a total stranger being the brother of girlfriend sisters husband eg brother in-law brother
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I'm a bit baffled by this thread. Why would any adult adopt an adult? What's the reasoning? It sounds totally unnecessary and sort of weird.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:29 pm I'm a bit baffled by this thread. Why would any adult adopt an adult? What's the reasoning? It sounds totally unnecessary and sort of weird.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adult_adoption
Lost50
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lost50 »

atst wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:20 pm Few years ago my girlfriend and I were given a adult boy he was about 24 then becomes we didn't have any kids, he calls me dad and my girlfriend mum she's was 28-29
How were you 'given' him? He latched on & calls you ma & pa, I recon its mostly in jest. Hardly comparable to an adoption in any way, shape or form.

Weirdest thread ever & if any adult wants to be adopted, they'd only be doing so in the hope of monetary gain.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Was given to us by his parents nothing official but then we live in the province, and yes ma and pa for 3-4 years now.
It is what it is , the opp asked the question I responded with an honest answer.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

even reading the links in duck duck go.
i still see no reason to adopt an adult
why does one need to legalize a emotion?
or, "to formalize the family relationship" or, "to transfer inheritance rights...." ( isn't that what wills are for?)

my daughter was born out of wedlock cause at the time there was no reason to marry her mom
only reason we married 3 years later is cause we wanted to try living in the states, otherwise......
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Handicap / trauma could be a good reason.
No beiing self-sufficient too.
Transmission of goods / wealth could be a reason.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic