Cambodian Driving Licence

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Thorix
Tourist
Denmark

Cambodian Driving Licence

Post by Thorix »

Sharing my experience here:

I tried to swap my country's driving licence here, but due this isn't in English nor French, it requires an official translation and a stamp from your embassy certifying the document is legit. Many countries do not have diplomatic representation here, so most of those consulates and embassies provide service to Cambodia from Thailand. In short words, having your licence translated and stamped isn't just costly but it can take time.

I needed to ride a >125cc bike, so a valid licence was required. Cambodia recognizes the IDP 1949 convention, but I doubt any copper would honour no IDP, so in order to staty safe and avoid bribes, fines and problems, you need to get a Cambodian driving licence.

The licence is done in 1 day and it costs $35. It is valid for 10 years. What do you need to get one?

Step 1: Get a letter of residence from your Sangkat. You need to show the original and a copy of your apartment contract plus one photo. This step should be free, but you know... everybody has families to feed.

Step 2: Go to the Land and Transport Department https://www.google.com/maps/place/Land+ ... 104.888443 and apply for the test. You will need your passport, residence letter and 4 photos. Right in the same room, there's a guy who will test your sight for $5 and will produce a "medical" certificate that you have to attach with all your documentation. Pay your fee $30. You'll be appointed for next day, 9:30.

Step 3: 9:30 am. Take the theory test. It consists of 35 questions and it is done in about 20 minutes. Some look retarded, others so badly translated that they are unintelligible gibberish and some others are just surreal. Just an example from this test: Image https://ibb.co/bH2rqpr

I recommend you to download this app and practice before the exam. It can be tricky and some nonsensical gibbering questions must be just memorized. I failed 5 out of 35, and that was after 2 hours of practicing with this app. It was a pass anyway. https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... s&hl=en_US

Step 4: 2pm, take the practice test. They will send you here: https://goo.gl/maps/pgQZEzPoupEFnec47. You don't have to worry about a thing or memorize any circuit. The test consists of a slamom around 7 cones separated about 3-4m from each other. Turn around, and slalom them back again. You can put one foot on the ground twice and they even let you try it out one time first.

Time to wait for the test since you pass the theory: 4h. Time to get the test done: 30 seconds.

Step 5: 3pm, collect your licence and meet your first checkpoint a few meters back to Phnom Penh.

Congratulations! You are entitled to legally drive in a country where 95% of drivers do not know about traffic rules or have a licence.

Enjoy your daily fight on the road!
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Re: Cambodian Driving Licence

Post by whatwat »

Cheers.
Also remember you can’t get insurance with an IDP.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I think you may find that international driving permits are not excepted full stop in Cambodia.

up to date drivers license convention below -

Cambodian driving license/ by converting your international licenses

A step-by step guide for expats applying for or renewing a Cambodian driving license in person.

Due to the change in laws issued by the General Department Of Public Works and Transport, CNM Motors will no longer be offering the Cambodian driving license service.
Below is a detailed description of how to apply for a new license by converting your international licenses or a simple renewal.

New applications should take around one hour from start-to-finish, and cost $11.50.
Renewals should take roughly 40 minutes, and cost $10.25 only.

ALL new or old applicants must attend in person with required documents, and complete a simple medical examination.

Aeon Mall 2 Sen Sok City, located here:
https://goo.gl/maps/X58vsCU4Nbo
Monday - Friday ONLY.
OR
General Department Of Public Works and Transport office, located here: https://goo.gl/maps/yAA7n5gRFqw
Both locations are CLOSED on weekends, and CLOSED 11:30am till 2:00pm for lunch break everyday.

Documents required: original passport + one copy, current valid visa + one copy, your original valid driving license from your home-country, 2 passport photos with white background, residence certificate specifically for driving licenses (which is provided from local Sangkat office – applicants should approach landlord for assistance with this).
For renewals; residence certificate is also required, however can be avoided if you have previously submitted one since the change of laws and remain at the same home address. You, will also have to submit your expired Cambodian license.

Unfortunately, this department is no longer issuing Chinese expatriates Cambodian licenses without completing a driving test.
If your license from your home-country does not contain English language at all, you must receive a translation from your embassy to submit along with your application.
If you do not have an embassy in Cambodia, you can send to an embassy nearby for translation, or simply sit the test for the 10-year license (see here

All licenses for expats are valid for one year only.

Aeon Mall 2 Sen Sok City is the preferred location for expats to complete license conversions or renewals, as they offer a higher quality service, and speak very good English. Please inquire within once you have obtained all the required paperwork.

If completing your application at the General Department Of Public Works and Transport office, follow these steps below;

1. Once you arrive, enter using the last entrance (2nd on your right). To the left of the testing station is a group of buildings. Enter through the red door. This is the waiting area for people completing driving tests.

2. Follow the arrow on the right side. Enter the room on the left side (if you come in through the main entrance on the other side, its opposite). This is the medical checkup room. Office staff will ask your height and weight, and give you a simple eye test. They will complete some forms for you. You need to give them 1 passport photo and 10,000 riel only.

3. Leave the way you entered. Walk straight ahead, past the Wing shop, and look for the Driving License Office on the left-hand side. Go to the last window on the right, and give your form from the medical test, your old license (if renewing), 2 remaining passport photos, and your passport along with the copies.

4. They will request that you go inside, where your paperwork is checked and approved by 4 different people, and then given to a data entry member of staff, who will prepare your application whilst you sit outside and wait.

5. You will be called to get your paperwork, sign your name on the docs, then take it to the Wing kiosk outside and transfer the remaining 30,000 riel. Wing fee is 1,000 riel.

6. Return the form to the members of staff inside the glass room office. They will recheck it, then you wait while they print your new license. You need to sign a book confirming you have collected it.

The new licenses are paper cards in a plastic sheath. These cards have U.V watermarks, and are extremely waterproof.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Thorix
Tourist
Denmark

Post by Thorix »

I ignore if International Driving Permits from English or French speaking countries can be swapped into a Cambodian licence as you describe here, but what I am sure of is that my Non-Eng/Fra IDP was rejected twice at AEON mall 2. Twice because as mostly everywhere in this world, laws and regulations are subjected to the interpretation and personal twist of the civil servant in charge that day, so I tried it different days with different people obtaining the same result. It maybe have been a coincidence due to consanguinity, time of the day, position of the stars or perhaps both were just doing their job right (kudos!). Whatever the case, IDPs can't be converted into Cambodian driving permits, or at least those that haven't been issued in non-Eng/Fra countries.

My IDP was also rejected at the Department Of Public Works and Transport Office were I took my test, making this the 3rd rejection and confirming that IDPs (1949 convention) are contemplated in the Cambodian legal framework but they are useless in the practice. A total nonsense because my IDP comes in French and English and therefore it should meet their requirments to effect the licence exchange, but...

Having said this, you only have two options left as a non-Eng/Fra barang:

1- Get your country's driving licence translated into English - French - Khmer and stamped by your embassy or whatever embassy willing to do this for you. Note that neither the translation nor the embassy notarization are free of charge. Then proceed as AndyKK suggest and pay your $11.5 yearly.

2- Take the test, pay $35 and forget about this thing and future changes in law (as it recently happened to the Chinese) for the next 10 years.

Your choice.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

Why would you try and get an IDP converted. It’s a translation of your driving licence which you should use to get a local one.

Of course they won’t recognise it.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

I was going through the Driving Rules after failing the practice tests online about 5 times....what I keep getting wrong is the 'priority', like who goes first at an intersection. There doesnt seem to be any rationale behind some of the examples, and in fact when I was looking at the actual rules there are 70 different scenarios. Almost like the people who did it normally play chess and are familiar with the idea of 'all possible moves'.
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

lagrange wrote:I was going through the Driving Rules after failing the practice tests online about 5 times....what I keep getting wrong is the 'priority', like who goes first at an intersection. There doesnt seem to be any rationale behind some of the examples, and in fact when I was looking at the actual rules there are 70 different scenarios. Almost like the people who did it normally play chess and are familiar with the idea of 'all possible moves'.
All possible moves = pay money in order to pass.

Or as the driving tester told the student. Pay in orders to pass. Or it will be fail. She failed 5 times before giving up and paying.

This was told to Khmer a few years ago.
AadityaSharma
Tourist
Singapore

Post by AadityaSharma »

Hey, thank you for the useful information, I have filled out and submitted all the required documents and have the test date, wanted to confirm, will the computer test "theory" will be taken at the "Ministry of Public Works and Transport" or at the "Heavy Truck Training center" same as the practical driving test?

Please help all license holders and test takers :))
Mojo
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mojo »

My California DL expired during the lockdown, so I went through the nonsense of getting a Malaysian DL. Can that be converted? I’m not planning a US trip anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Mojo wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:04 pm My California DL expired during the lockdown, so I went through the nonsense of getting a Malaysian DL. Can that be converted? I’m not planning a US trip anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MY ca license expires March<and I as you , have no trips planned back
I hold a valid 5 year Thai license valid till March 2027< ( you can get 6 out of a 5 year license if u apply the day after ur license expires) and although legally all ASEAN members can use their licenses in ASEAN countries, Cambodia doesn't accept it.

and NO you can ONLY use ur license from ur passport country

fuck em, i'd rather just pay the odd $5--10 if i am stopped than deal with it.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic