Visa for retirees?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
AM34
Expatriate

Visa for retirees?

Post by AM34 »

Apologies if this is a tired subject, but looking for the most up-to-date info.

My retirement-age parents are looking to visit me Cambodia this winter. They don't have valid visas. I'm legally employed in Cambodia and my company is willing to provide a visa letter, if it would help the process.

What is the most reliable (if any) process for getting a visa from an embassy abroad? What kind of visas are being issued? The directive from the government says there's exemptions for family members, does that apply to families of foreigners working/living in Cambodia?

Thanks in advance.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Visa for retirees?

Post by timmydownawell »

They will need to apply via foreign Cambodian Embassy for an E class visa (business/ordinary visa) and one of them will need a letter of invitation, the other can come as their spouse. The visa is valid for a three month window to travel but no more than 30 days after arrival, so they will need to apply for ER EOS after arriving.

Both need to have a negative Covid test certificate less than 72 hours of ARRIVAL time in Cambodia.

Both need to pay $2000 into a Cambodian account on arrival.

They'll get a test done and be checked into a hotel for 24 hours and if no-one on their flight has a positive result they can go to home quarantine for 13 days.

Think that's it?
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
thold
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by thold »

Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

timmydownawell wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:18 pm They will need to apply via foreign Cambodian Embassy for an E class visa (business/ordinary visa) and one of them will need a letter of invitation, the other can come as their spouse. The visa is valid for a three month window to travel but no more than 30 days after arrival, so they will need to apply for ER EOS after arriving.

Both need to have a negative Covid test certificate less than 72 hours of ARRIVAL time in Cambodia.

They'll get a test done and be checked into a hotel for 24 hours and if no-one on their flight has a positive result they can go to home quarantine for 13 days.

Think that's it?
Also, Travel Insurance with Covid-19 cover and a minimum of $50,000 of coverage. Forte Cambodia do a policy which satisfies the Cambodian Authorities.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

They will have to apply for a visa through the Cambodia embassy in their country. I can't speak to whether or not they might be eligible for a visa. I'd suggest a phone call. Supposedly, tourist visas aren't being issued but don't know if they would issue a different type of visa to allow the visit.

Separately, I wouldn't recommend the trip.

Having gone through the process to return to Cambodia several weeks ago, I can say I wouldn't have my parents make the trip.

The main reason is that if one person tests positive on the plane they will be stuck for two weeks in quarantine (not at home - at the hotel). Since you don't get to choose your hotel, if they end up stuck in one of the "Chinese" oriented hotels it will be a miserable two weeks (unless they really like bad Chinese food).

In the US, it was not easy to arrange getting a 15 minute Covid test that would allow me to meet the 72 hour prior to arrival rule. They have cleared up the insurance requirement so that is one less concern. The other thing to think about is that should they have any medical issue here in Cambodia there is no quick trip over to Thailand for medical care.

Its just not the year for international travel unless its really necessary.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:31 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:18 pm They will need to apply via foreign Cambodian Embassy for an E class visa (business/ordinary visa) and one of them will need a letter of invitation, the other can come as their spouse. The visa is valid for a three month window to travel but no more than 30 days after arrival, so they will need to apply for ER EOS after arriving.

Think that's it?
Also, Travel Insurance with Covid-19 cover and a minimum of $50,000 of coverage. Forte Cambodia do a policy which satisfies the Cambodian Authorities.
Oh yes, knew I forgot something!
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I have to agree with TWY. It is an arduous process at the moment, even if things go well. Things should improve in the new year. The country cannot remain effectively closed forever. Plus the cost of flights remains very high.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic