Tax patent to be required for EB visa extension?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Tax patent to be required for EB visa extension?

Post by AndyKK »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:10 pm
Albror wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:42 am
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:56 am No, the DoI will make the announcement, has nothing to do with the MoLVT.

The reason for this requirement is that they have finally cottoned on to people/agencies applying for EB EOS's without legitimate employment via fake employment letters, so having a copy of the employers Tax Patent is further evidence that the applicant is indeed legitimately employed by a Cambodian registered company.
I always thought the guys issuing the visas were in on it as i for example get my 1y EB without presenting a WP either. So they know i dont have a legit job.

If so its just another paper for them to ignore and perhaps another 20 bucks for us to pay?
WP was never a required piece of supporting documentation for 6 or 12 month EB EOS's, only 1 & 3 month applications. WP has nothing to do with DoI, they are the remit of the MoLVT.
Tax patent to be required for EB visa extension? This leaves me in one large state of confusion, infact more so, to thinking I have lost over a year from when I was refused by immigration to be able to obtain renewal, of extention to my recent 12 month EB EOS, the reason being that my renewal date was in one months time, but requirements were the new tax patent was needed plus, business license, work permit, the tax patent was the only thing I needed, but that apparently was going to take the tax people 2 months to do for me, that was obviously too late to comply with my EB EOS. On talking about the situation with officers of the MLVT and them conversing with immigration, and because I could prove retirement, it was suggested I get an ER EOS as breathing space for the tax patent to come, then revert back to the EB. But not so, because in the short time scale the new law came quickly into play, ER EOS's are not allowed to gain a EB EOS. It was a shit result for myself with 3 years business down the drain at the time.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
popping in
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by popping in »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:14 pm With effect 01st Oct 2020, those applying for an EB (Business) EOS (Extension of Stay) are required to submit the following documents;

- Print out of Screenshot of tenants (applicants) details from the registered property owners FPCS app account (or if you registered yourself then from.tour account)
- Official letter of employment from employer with official Company stamp
- Copy of Companies Tax Patent with official Company stamp
- Copy of Business license with official company stamp (Business owners only, in addition to the above 3 documents)

The decision was made during a DoI meeting today and an official directive should be publicised by the end of the week. Several reputable Visa agents from different cities have all reported being informed of this new requirement from their DoI points of contact.

For those who are working here legally/own a legally registered business this will have no effect on their ability to apply for an EB EOS...it will however affect those who don't actually legally work here and normally obtain their EB EOS via the backdoor, ie. those who provided fake letters of employment, whether produced by themselves or a visa agent, etc.
well that's screwed that idea then. wish i'd read this thread first haha. sigh. back to my job hunting.
popping in
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by popping in »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:10 am
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:56 am No, the DoI will make the announcement, has nothing to do with the MoLVT.

The reason for this requirement is that they have finally cottoned on to people/agencies applying for EB EOS's without legitimate employment via fake employment letters, so having a copy of the employers Tax Patent is further evidence that the applicant is indeed legitimately employed by a Cambodian registered company.
I always thought the guys issuing the visas were in on it as i for example get my 1y EB without presenting a WP either. So they know i dont have a legit job.

If so its just another paper for them to ignore and perhaps another 20 bucks for us to pay?
WP was never a required piece of supporting documentation for 6 or 12 month EB EOS's, only 1 & 3 month applications. WP has nothing to do with DoI, they are the remit of the MoLVT.
Tax patent to be required for EB visa extension? This leaves me in one large state of confusion, infact more so, to thinking I have lost over a year from when I was refused by immigration to be able to obtain renewal, of extention to my recent 12 month EB EOS, the reason being that my renewal date was in one months time, but requirements were the new tax patent was needed plus, business license, work permit, the tax patent was the only thing I needed, but that apparently was going to take the tax people 2 months to do for me, that was obviously too late to comply with my EB EOS. On talking about the situation with officers of the MLVT and them conversing with immigration, and because I could prove retirement, it was suggested I get an ER EOS as breathing space for the tax patent to come, then revert back to the EB. But not so, because in the short time scale the new law came quickly into play, ER EOS's are not allowed to gain a EB EOS. It was a shit result for myself with 3 years business down the drain at the time.
Very sorry to hear that. Puts my sex/noodles/sunshine tourism into context. Hope you have managed to pull things round since.
popping in
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by popping in »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:14 pm With effect 01st Oct 2020, those applying for an EB (Business) EOS (Extension of Stay) are required to submit the following documents;

- Print out of Screenshot of tenants (applicants) details from the registered property owners FPCS app account (or if you registered yourself then from.tour account)
- Official letter of employment from employer with official Company stamp
- Copy of Companies Tax Patent with official Company stamp
- Copy of Business license with official company stamp (Business owners only, in addition to the above 3 documents)

The decision was made during a DoI meeting today and an official directive should be publicised by the end of the week. Several reputable Visa agents from different cities have all reported being informed of this new requirement from their DoI points of contact.

For those who are working here legally/own a legally registered business this will have no effect on their ability to apply for an EB EOS...it will however affect those who don't actually legally work here and normally obtain their EB EOS via the backdoor, ie. those who provided fake letters of employment, whether produced by themselves or a visa agent, etc.
This article states that a similar policy was introduced in 2017, but that it wouldn't apply to the first extension request.

https://aecnewstoday.com/2017/axe-falls ... xtensions/

Is the effect of the new rules introduced this month, that the policy will be applied to the first extension request as well as to subsequent extension requests ?

Clarification would be appreciated.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

popping in wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:56 am
AndyKK wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:10 am

Very sorry to hear that. Puts my sex/noodles/sunshine tourism into context. Hope you have managed to pull things round since.
Yes it worked out okay, you could say I was forced into early retirement.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic