Tax patent to be required for EB visa extension?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Re: Tax patent to be required for EB visa extension?

Post by whatwat »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:11 pm Looks like the price of dodgy papers is going up.

How much does it cost to set up a company and get all the registrations to enable you to do your own? (and a few for 'friends')
That wouldn’t work. You can’t employ all foreigners due to the quota.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

whatwat wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:30 am ....

This will push many people to leave especially if the only option is a monthly EG.
I have always obtained the business visa and its extensions without working
If all these forms are necessary just to stay in the country, then the agents will figure out a way to get the forms ready for a fee.
So the only thing that will happen is that it will get more expensive to do the same thing, which is of course drink beer and walk up and down 172 st.

Mexico gives US if not other citizens 6 months just for flying in (through Quintana Roo state) then, many other options for staying here, including a visa for being an artist. Nicaragua, I have read, is also very flexible.
In Mexico, You can get a hotel room with AC, attached bathroom with hot water for @$11/da. and community cooking facilities (for the many Michelin-level chefs on this board).
and a restaurant meal for $2.50,
That is already cheaper than PP.
As KOW follows the latent racist policies of Thailand, this is good alternative.

( Caveat: you must speak Spanish or you will be hacked to death with machetes at the airport.)
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Albror »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:56 am No, the DoI will make the announcement, has nothing to do with the MoLVT.

The reason for this requirement is that they have finally cottoned on to people/agencies applying for EB EOS's without legitimate employment via fake employment letters, so having a copy of the employers Tax Patent is further evidence that the applicant is indeed legitimately employed by a Cambodian registered company.
I always thought the guys issuing the visas were in on it as i for example get my 1y EB without presenting a WP either. So they know i dont have a legit job.

If so its just another paper for them to ignore and perhaps another 20 bucks for us to pay?
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Albror wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:42 am example get my 1y EB without presenting a WP either. So they know i dont have a legit job.
The work permit is issued by an altogether different ministry.........and anyway the work permit wouldn't tell the immigration guys much anyway.....they get issued every new calendar year.

And for all immigration knows, yes you are in possession of a wp but you could have been fired and are not working........a letter of employment should have a recent date on it, thereby signalling that you are 'currently' employed by a registered Cambodian employer.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

Albror wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:42 am
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:56 am No, the DoI will make the announcement, has nothing to do with the MoLVT.

The reason for this requirement is that they have finally cottoned on to people/agencies applying for EB EOS's without legitimate employment via fake employment letters, so having a copy of the employers Tax Patent is further evidence that the applicant is indeed legitimately employed by a Cambodian registered company.
I always thought the guys issuing the visas were in on it as i for example get my 1y EB without presenting a WP either. So they know i dont have a legit job.

If so its just another paper for them to ignore and perhaps another 20 bucks for us to pay?
You only have to provide wp for 1 and 3 month eb visas. Not 6 or 12 months.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Is there still a retirement visa good for a year?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Multipox wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:47 am

This will push many people to leave especially if the only option is a monthly EG.
If all these forms are necessary just to stay in the country, then the agents will figure out a way to get the forms ready for a fee.
So the only thing that will happen is that it will get more expensive to do the same thing, which is of course drink beer and walk up and down 172 st.
The problem is there are so many visa classes missing in Cambodia, loads of people (including me) use / abuse the business visa because there's no visa available for them. In my case: a family.

Tightening the use of business visa in itself would make sense, but only if they would reconsider the whole visa policy.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Multipox wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:47 am

Mexico gives US if not other citizens 6 months just for flying in (through Quintana Roo state) then, many other options for staying here, including a visa for being an artist. Nicaragua, I have read, is also very flexible.
In Mexico, You can get a hotel room with AC, attached bathroom with hot water for @$11/da. and community cooking facilities (for the many Michelin-level chefs on this board).
and a restaurant meal for $2.50,
That is already cheaper than PP.
As KOW follows the latent racist policies of Thailand, this is good alternative.

( Caveat: you must speak Spanish or you will be hacked to death with machetes at the airport.)
That's were I was In March and where I am going back to as soon as this Covid-19 crap has settled down. Then south from there. And, yes, I got 180 days visa without question (UK Passport).
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Albror wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:42 am

WP was never a required piece of supporting documentation for 6 or 12 month EB EOS's, only 1 & 3 month applications. WP has nothing to do with DoI, they are the remit of the MoLVT.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

willyhilly wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:51 am Is there still a retirement visa good for a year?
No, but there is an ER (Retirement) Extension of Stay, available in 1, 3, 6 ,12 month Extensions.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic