Young Monk Commits Suicide in Battambang Pagoda

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Young Monk Commits Suicide in Battambang Pagoda

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Battambang): On September 21, 2020, at 11:30 pm, a young monk committed suicide by burning himself to death at Kandal pagoda, Sangkat Rotanak, Battambang city.

A senior monk named Keo Sompong said that he saw smoke coming from the victim's room, and the room was locked. So then, he asked people for help. After breaking into the victim's room, they saw that the victim was burning. The monks tried to put out the fire, but the victim was already dead. He had been studying at the pagoda.

After the incident, the chief monk called the police for examination, and it was determined that nobody else was involved in the incident. All those at the scene were deeply upset that the young man decided to take his life so tragically.

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Young Monk Commits Suicide in Battambang Pagoda

Post by John Bingham »

What does the letter say? What a terrible painful way to die.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:30 pm What does the letter say? What a terrible painful way to die.
Reading Khmer handwriting is painful for me but a quick scan suggests that this isn't a suicide note as I initially thought. It seems to be a witness report of seeing the smoke and fire and trying to help.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

^^ It is a report of the event as written by the head monk at the pagoda.
Additional information fom the manuscript:
The victim is named as Hat Hak, 21 years old, from Prasat Bakong district, Siem Reap.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

So they've completely ruled out the possibility of it being accidental?

What about having candles lit to study in his room, he feel asleep, candle got knocked over, starting the fire, fill in the rest... If the letter isn't a suicide note, then I wouldn't immediately suspect suicide.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

I agree with Tarndog. Committing suicide by burning seems highly improbable without an accelerant such as petrol. Tarndog's scenario is very plausible and he may have suffocated from smoke while asleep. The family must be devastated. A sad case.
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

samrong01 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:32 pm I agree with Tarndog. Committing suicide by burning seems highly improbable without an accelerant such as petrol. Tarndog's scenario is very plausible and he may have suffocated from smoke while asleep.
Oh, Samrong, now I worry about you! To think that is one thing, but to publicly express it, here on CEO??? I want to officially and sincerely apologize to you, in advance, for all the hate, trolling, and blackballing you may likely see in the future.

My most sincere best wishes,
Tarndog
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

I agree as well. Usually if someone kills themself by burning themself, it's to make a statement, and usually political. It's not something you'd do in the privacy of your (locked) room.

So yes, a lit candle or cigarette could have started the fire while he slept and you can be overcome by smoke without waking up. Poor kid, whatever the cause.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia News, Battambang: On the morning of September 22, 2020, the police concluded that according to the family, the monk committed suicide by burning himself, due to a family crisis in his village in Prasat Bakong district, Siem Reap province.

Battambang City Police Inspector said that the young man bought some gasoline which he poured on himself before setting himself alight. He locked his door from the inside before committing the act. The brother of the deceased says that the victim was upset about family problems, but the problems are private.
The body of the deceased was to be cremated at Wat Kandal in a ceremony among the family and the monks.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Tarndog wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:41 pm If the letter isn't a suicide note, then I wouldn't immediately suspect suicide.
The letter is a report of the event as written by the head monk at the pagoda. As you can read above your post. :roll:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic