EG Extension, 6months for 80bucks....too good to be true?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
HappyChappy
Expatriate
Great Britain

EG Extension, 6months for 80bucks....too good to be true?

Post by HappyChappy »

Hello people!!

Well, with my EG visa running out I'm reviewing my options to extend. Like most other people.......IM ON A BUDGET.

I've been given the option from an agency to transfer to an EB for an EXTORTORTIONATE amount of money, whereas my buddy is confident the guy he uses can get my EG extended for 6 months at a reasonable price!

My concern is, the guy my friend uses appears to be operating out of an alley way near his house.....

Do I take the risk with the cheaper option and hand my HIGHLY valued passport to someone I hardly know? Has anyone heard of this 6 month extension for a similar price?? Normally I wouldn't risk it for a chocolate biscuit, but the price of the EB could leave me flat broke if my work hunting continues to fail.

Please advise people of CEO! Thank you again in advance for your positive/helpful feedback.

Regards

HappyChappy
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: EG Extension, 6months for 80bucks....too good to be true?

Post by samrong01 »

It would be extremely unwise to hand over your passport to someone you do not know without an official receipt. What if police stopped you and you had no passport or receipt to show? If you are worried about cost then why not go down to Immigration yourself and ask them. You may find they are helpful provided your visa has not expired.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

I Think you answered your own question.

There are a lot of agencies, try visiting a couple others and see what they say.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Do I take the risk with the cheaper option and hand my HIGHLY valued passport to someone I hardly know?

You answered yourself. Cheap was never cheap.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Currently the DoI are only issuing 1 month EG Extensions of Stay, on a month by month basis.

During normal times, you can apply for a 6 month EG EOS directly at the DoI Visa Office in PP for the official fee of $90.

The fact that someone is telling you they can get you a 6 month EOS for less than the official fee should be a major warning sign.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:25 pm Currently the DoI are only issuing 1 month EG Extensions of Stay, on a month by month basis.

During normal times, you can apply for a 6 month EG EOS directly at the DoI Visa Office in PP for the official fee of $90.

The fact that someone is telling you they can get you a 6 month EOS for less than the official fee should be a major warning sign.
Any idea how much the one month extensions of EG are? I was quoted $50 if one has the FCPS printscreen.

[Should have done it at DoI last time. I think I paid $150 for 6 mos.]
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

1 month EOS is $30 directly at the DoI Visa office.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic