WTB: Looking for Fujitsu laptop battery

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

WTB: Looking for Fujitsu laptop battery

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Hi everyone,

the battery on my laptop is now completely useless, as soon as the computer is unplugged it turns off/crashes immediately.
Really a hassle that can never get away from a power strip.

I had been waiting until I could return to my home country and get one sent there but it keeps getting delayed.

I wonder if you think they may have them here (Fujitsu seems like a rare brand here so it seems unlikely). Where to get one?

Is it possible to somehow jerry rig/ tinker a battery from another type of laptop? Not very electrically literate but it would seem the batteries must be pretty similar but just the plastic mount may be different.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: WTB: Looking for Fujitsu laptop battery

Post by explorer »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:31 pm I wonder if you think they may have them here (Fujitsu seems like a rare brand here so it seems unlikely). Where to get one?
I would try Davy computer in PP. They get things in from distributors in PP and Thailand.
daeum_tnaot wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:31 pm Is it possible to somehow jerry rig/ tinker a battery from another type of laptop? Not very electrically literate but it would seem the batteries must be pretty similar but just the plastic mount may be different.
Yes.

It needs to be the same voltage.

Many modern computers use 18650 lithium ion batteries. They may be spot welded, which is not difficult if you are clever. You may be able to cut away enough of the plastic to replace them, if you are clever and lucky. You can buy the batteries at Orussey market in PP.

You could also make an external battery pack of the same voltage, and wire it in. I would make it so it can be plugged in and out.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

explorer wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:15 pm
daeum_tnaot wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:31 pm I wonder if you think they may have them here (Fujitsu seems like a rare brand here so it seems unlikely). Where to get one?
I would try Davy computer in PP. They get things in from distributors in PP and Thailand.
daeum_tnaot wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:31 pm Is it possible to somehow jerry rig/ tinker a battery from another type of laptop? Not very electrically literate but it would seem the batteries must be pretty similar but just the plastic mount may be different.
Yes.

It needs to be the same voltage.

Many modern computers use 18650 lithium ion batteries. They may be spot welded, which is not difficult if you are clever. You may be able to cut away enough of the plastic to replace them, if you are clever and lucky. You can buy the batteries at Orussey market in PP.

You could also make an external battery pack of the same voltage, and wire it in. I would make it so it can be plugged in and out.
Thanks very much for the reply, Explorer! I wasn't sure if any one would know about this.

Stepping back a bit, is it also possible that there is just some electrical problem/connection problem that is leading to this? Or even a software problem?

I say that because it says that my battery is at 0%, does not charge, and cuts out immediately on unplugging.

Another thing that I find suspicious is that before the battery reached 0%, Fujitsu had some kind of announcement to me that my battery was too old, and now it would not be fully charged. At that point, it would only charge to 65%. It means that Fujitsu itself was blocking the battery from being charged fully, they claimed to protect me from danger! :facepalm:

Is it possible that it's even something like a driver in the computer that is preventing it from charging?

Regarding tinkering, this seems to be the one I am trying to replace:

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Fujitsu ... B077Y67WG4
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Batteries are generic and go across many models. You should get one about $20. Update the charging driver by removing the old one and allow the system to refresh the driver.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

How old is the laptop?

How hot does it get?

Age and heat are the main factors for degradation.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:41 pm Stepping back a bit, is it also possible that there is just some electrical problem/connection problem that is leading to this? Or even a software problem?

I say that because it says that my battery is at 0%, does not charge, and cuts out immediately on unplugging.

Another thing that I find suspicious is that before the battery reached 0%, Fujitsu had some kind of announcement to me that my battery was too old, and now it would not be fully charged. At that point, it would only charge to 65%. It means that Fujitsu itself was blocking the battery from being charged fully, they claimed to protect me from danger!

Is it possible that it's even something like a driver in the computer that is preventing it from charging?

I would assume the battery is no good, and be trying to replace it. Of course there could be a lot of other possibilities, but they are much less likely.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

If you cant find a battery in Cambodia try AliExpress. They have a good range both brand name and not.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

nemo wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:13 pm Batteries are generic and go across many models. You should get one about $20. Update the charging driver by removing the old one and allow the system to refresh the driver.
Well that's a relief you say they are generic. Most of the prices listed for my laptop's battery are about $150.

If they are generic, I assume you mean that they will work with the laptop but may not fit the casing. In which case you have to modify it slightly to make it fit.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:14 pm How old is the laptop?

How hot does it get?

Age and heat are the main factors for degradation.
It's about 5 years old. It doesn't seem to get too hot but maybe I'm mistaken.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

explorer wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:35 pm
daeum_tnaot wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:41 pm Stepping back a bit, is it also possible that there is just some electrical problem/connection problem that is leading to this? Or even a software problem?

Another thing that I find suspicious is that before the battery reached 0%, Fujitsu had some kind of announcement to me that my battery was too old, and now it would not be fully charged. At that point, it would only charge to 65%. It means that Fujitsu itself was blocking the battery from being charged fully, they claimed to protect me from danger!

I would assume the battery is no good, and be trying to replace it. Of course there could be a lot of other possibilities, but they are much less likely.
OK, sounds good. Let me see if I can get one around town.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic