WTB: Looking for Fujitsu laptop battery

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: WTB: Looking for Fujitsu laptop battery

Post by Kammekor »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:32 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:14 pm How old is the laptop?

How hot does it get?

Age and heat are the main factors for degradation.
It's about 5 years old. It doesn't seem to get too hot but maybe I'm mistaken.
If it's five years the battery is probably finished.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

explorer wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:15 pm
daeum_tnaot wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:31 pm I wonder if you think they may have them here (Fujitsu seems like a rare brand here so it seems unlikely). Where to get one?
I would try Davy computer in PP. They get things in from distributors in PP and Thailand.
daeum_tnaot wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:31 pm Is it possible to somehow jerry rig/ tinker a battery from another type of laptop? Not very electrically literate but it would seem the batteries must be pretty similar but just the plastic mount may be different.
Yes.

It needs to be the same voltage.

Many modern computers use 18650 lithium ion batteries. They may be spot welded, which is not difficult if you are clever. You may be able to cut away enough of the plastic to replace them, if you are clever and lucky. You can buy the batteries at Orussey market in PP.

You could also make an external battery pack of the same voltage, and wire it in. I would make it so it can be plugged in and out.
I went to Davy computer yesterday. She says she doesn't have my computer's battery, but she can put new "krowahp tmaw" into my battery casing. I assume "krowahp tmaw" would be translated as "battery cell". It would cost about $35-45.

She thinks you can't use another computer's battery (as we discussed earlier, as long at is has the same voltage) because the computer software won't recognize it.

I don't know if this is true so I'm trying to research it online.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

I don't see why this would not work, as long as the battery is the same type (18650 or whatever type is in the original).
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

timmydownawell wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:27 pm I don't see why this would not work, as long as the battery is the same type (18650 or whatever type is in the original).
Thanks Timmy down a well,

She also said that it would cost 35 or 45 depending... Perhaps this depends on whether it is 18650 or another kind?
jimpson
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jimpson »

I have had a problem in replacing a battery in an Asus laptop. The replacement battery was unavailable in Cambodia or Vietnam and with the Covic restrictions on flights the supply from the USA was not possible in a realistic time frame. I ended up removing the battery and used the laptop on mains power only, later adding in a UPS to give protection in the event of a power cut. This gave me a good three hours of relaible use in the event of no main power for around USD 50. I further managed to get hold of a rechargeable external battery pack (called Mr. Battery) that has a range of selectable voltages and power plugs for many different types of laptops. If nothing else this removes the future problem for almost all later laptops.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

jimpson wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:56 pm I have had a problem in replacing a battery in an Asus laptop. The replacement battery was unavailable in Cambodia or Vietnam and with the Covic restrictions on flights the supply from the USA was not possible in a realistic time frame. I ended up removing the battery and used the laptop on mains power only, later adding in a UPS to give protection in the event of a power cut. This gave me a good three hours of relaible use in the event of no main power for around USD 50. I further managed to get hold of a rechargeable external battery pack (called Mr. Battery) that has a range of selectable voltages and power plugs for many different types of laptops. If nothing else this removes the future problem for almost all later laptops.
Hello Jimpson,

The problem for me is not really power cuts, but just always being tied to the power cord, or someone accidentally unplugging my computer. So the UPS would only be a go for me if this couldn't be repaired some other way.

However, the Mr. Battery sounds very interesting. Where did you get it?
jimpson
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jimpson »

The Mr. Battery setup that I have was originally purchased in Taiwan a number of years ago and I had it in storage in my previous place in Vietnam.
It consists of a battery and a charger system that can either power the laptop itself or can charge the battery for independent use later. It would only mean that the battery is external to the laptop and connected by a short cable. A bit untidy but effective.
I managed to get it sent over and have subsequently used it temporarily to power a Chromebook that had a charger problem. In that case I charged the battery from Mr. Battery and used the particular power plug to power the chromebook through the input normally used by the chromebook charger. That actually allowed the battery in the Chromebook to charge itself until it ran out and needed re-charging.
I have the Mr. Battery here in Phnom Penh and can look up the model number if it is any help for you but I suspect it would need to be ordered from outside Cambodia however it could be a long time investment for the future.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:55 pm I went to Davy computer yesterday. She says she doesn't have my computer's battery, but she can put new "krowahp tmaw" into my battery casing. I assume "krowahp tmaw" would be translated as "battery cell". It would cost about $35-45.

She thinks you can't use another computer's battery (as we discussed earlier, as long at is has the same voltage) because the computer software won't recognize it.

I would believe them.

Yes, that means putting new battery cells into your casing.

I think this would be the best option.

For those interested in learning Khmer.

'tmo' or 'tmo(r)' (the r is silent) literally means stone or rock. It is also used for batteries in small devices, like phones and computers. They use another word of a large battery, like a car battery.

I am trying to think of an English equivalent for the word 'kroup.' Let's say you wanted to buy 10 nuts. You would say 10 croup. It would mean '10 of them.'

When saying 'croup tmo,' it would mean 'individual batteries.'

There are many words in a language that don't have an exact equivalent in another language.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

In Australia, you can buy computer power supplies that will run from a 12 volt battery. I have not seen them in Cambodia. There may or may not be someone who sells them.

For those with desktop computers, you can buy full HD televisions which can be used as computer monitors, that can run from mains power or 12 volt.

These are useful in places where the power goes off often.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

explorer wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:09 pm
daeum_tnaot wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:55 pm I went to Davy computer yesterday. She says she doesn't have my computer's battery, but she can put new "krowahp tmaw" into my battery casing. I assume "krowahp tmaw" would be translated as "battery cell". It would cost about $35-45.

I would believe them.

Yes, that means putting new battery cells into your casing.

I think this would be the best option.

For those interested in learning Khmer.

'tmo' or 'tmo(r)' (the r is silent) literally means stone or rock. It is also used for batteries in small devices, like phones and computers. They use another word of a large battery, like a car battery.

I am trying to think of an English equivalent for the word 'kroup.' Let's say you wanted to buy 10 nuts. You would say 10 croup. It would mean '10 of them.'

When saying 'croup tmo,' it would mean 'individual batteries.'

There are many words in a language that don't have an exact equivalent in another language.
I'll investigate this further then. My only concern is that Fujitsu may have installed some kind of device on the battery casing that tells its firmware on the computer that this battery is old, don't let it work. I saw some postings earlier today about this kind of device on printers for example.

I would say the most common usage for the word krowahp is with seeds or pits. Khmer has many words like this that are essentially category markers. Example "daeum" for cigarettes. "cabal" for animals. "Mowan bei cabal" is three chickens or literally three heads of chicken.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic