Man Arrested for Beating Up his Girlfriend

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Re: Man Arrested for Beating Up his Girlfriend

Post by Cambo Dear »

I believe it was over money (according to my better half). Unusually for Cambodia, the lady is considerably older than the man and I would surmise he was her boy toy, especially since he is a delivery driver and that rented pad looks quite expensive. Apparently this isn't the first time he's beaten her either. Poor woman!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Cambo Dear wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:34 am Unusually for Cambodia, the lady is considerably older than the man and I would surmise he was her boy toy...
I almost took you seriously until I went back and checked. He is apparently 20 and she is 25. If she was 45 or 65 I might buy what you are saying but no. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:23 am
Johno35 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:32 pm I wonder what she did?
The victim blaming and misogyny displayed by some posters on this forum is appalling. And the later "explanation" was no improvement.
The explanation was a direct quote from a Bill Burr sketch - could be a misguided attempt at humour; I mean the sketch is hilarious, but this probably isn't the place to quote it!
:hattip:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Johno35
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Johno35 »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:39 am
Why ? It doesn't matter what she did or didn't do.

You can see what HE did. :facepalm:
You can see his face and you can see her face. The photos speak for themselves.
I said no one should EVER hit a woman!

But saying “there is no reason” kills any sort of examination as how two people ended up at that place. You cut out the buildup and are just left with the act. How are you gonna solve domestic violence problems if you don’t figure it out. Why are we only allowed to ask questions about what the male did but not ask what the female did?

A fireman doesn’t just put a fire out, they sift through the debris to see what started it.

I understand there are some cave men who just randomly attack women for any random things like asking for a tissue or not cooking dinner on time. And we should always call them out.

In my entire life I have been hit by a man once. I also provoked it. I learned my lesson. And I watch my mouth now. I’ve not been threatened even once since then, because I don’t provoke people.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:23 am
The victim blaming and misogyny displayed by some posters on this forum is appalling. And the later "explanation" was no improvement.

I love you JB.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Johno35 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:46 pm

But saying “there is no reason” kills any sort of examination as how two people ended up at that place. You cut out the buildup and are just left with the act. How are you gonna solve domestic violence problems if you don’t figure it out. Why are we only allowed to ask questions about what the male did but not ask what the female did?

A fireman doesn’t just put a fire out, they sift through the debris to see what started it.

I understand there are some cave men who just randomly attack women for any random things like asking for a tissue or not cooking dinner on time. And we should always call them out.

In my entire life I have been hit by a man once. I also provoked it. I learned my lesson. And I watch my mouth now. I’ve not been threatened even once since then, because I don’t provoke people.
What some posters here, including me, are taking issue with, are your suggestions that the victim is somehow responsible for the violence.
Now you seem to be suggesting that if women would shut up, they wouldn't get beaten up so much ? Or did I misunderstand ?

The way I see it, the person who commits violence is solely responsible for their act. They made a choice. Man or woman. The woman who stabbed her husband because he brought home his girlfriend was sorely provoked, but nobody forced her to grab a knife and stab him to death. If you choose violence, then you are responsible for your actions.
Johno35
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Johno35 »

Anchor Moy wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:31 pm
Johno35 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:46 pm

What some posters here, including me, are taking issue with, are your suggestions that the victim is somehow responsible for the violence.
Now you seem to be suggesting that if women would shut up, they wouldn't get beaten up so much ? Or did I misunderstand ?

The way I see it, the person who commits violence is solely responsible for their act. They made a choice. Man or woman. The woman who stabbed her husband because he brought home his girlfriend was sorely provoked, but nobody forced her to grab a knife and stab him to death. If you choose violence, then you are responsible for your actions.

I’ve never at all suggested that anyone should not be held responsible for committing violence.

But notice the difference. When that woman stabbed her husband the news article listed what the husband did that provoked her.

And that’s my point.

And check out the victim blaming on this forum in the incident where the wife stabbed her husband for bringing home the mistress:

“That second pic, looking at the location of the blood, suggests to me she may have cut his unit off, which under the circumstances, would be easily understandable.”

“Along with that “unit” must have come a pair of brass balls. Bringing the new gf home to the wife! What was he thinking (or not.) Maybe he was surprised to find her in.”

Do you see the double standard?
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Id say it's usually the woman's fault!
If i just strayed away from the last one I never would of been filmed with those Chinese love beads :x
To think of all the good things I have done & yet all people remember is that one night with a donkey :?
Johno35
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Johno35 »

Notice the double standard in your responses:

post445380.html?hilit=Domestic%20violen ... ts#p445380

In the article about the Domestic violence victim that admitted to beating her husband TO DEATH Anchor Moy posts:

“Poor woman. You must really be at the end of your rope to take a stick and beat your husband to death.”
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Many of these crimes where wives kill their husbands are reported as being after years of often drunken abuse. I'm not excusing them, but they could often desperate acts perpetrated by people who have just had enough. Then again, I've heard of plenty of violent women too, luckily I've never been involved with any but quite a few friends have!
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic