Strength of draft beer.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Strength of draft beer.

Post by Yerg »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:10 am Ganzberg - not a chance
Cambodia - water
Anchor - better than all of the above
I can’t disagree save for Ganzberg. Your assessment of “not a chance” is far too generous. That stuff is simply vile, I wouldn’t use it if I was dragging myself through the Sahara desert and it was the only stuff available to save me from a painful and horrible death from dehydration.

Anchor gets my vote.

Just clean the damn cans.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:02 am I never drink draft beer, you can't rely on any quality.
I have noticed more and more seasoned old expats drinking cans and there has to be a reason to pay $1.50+ instead of $0.75 to $1.50 for the draft. Maybe consistency, even though the local brew is swill.

I know of one bar that I can't drink their draft, it always taste terrible. And whenever I have a few G&T's there I get a banging headache. It's a pity as a mate owns it, but I rarely go in there now and never stay very long.
Shazza
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Shazza »

It's probably got nothing to do with the beer, if the beer lines aren't cleaned every week, and the glasses, the beer that comes out of the keg is bloody disgusting. You can tell if the lines have been cleaned regularly and the glasses, because it will pour a perfect head every time, the white of the head will stick to the glass all the way down to the end of the glass. I love a lovely cold draft beer, heaps better than cans or stubbies. 🍻😉
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Shazza wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:09 am It's probably got nothing to do with the beer, if the beer lines aren't cleaned every week, and the glasses, the beer that comes out of the keg is bloody disgusting. You can tell if the lines have been cleaned regularly and the glasses, because it will pour a perfect head every time, the white of the head will stick to the glass all the way down to the end of the glass. I love a lovely cold draft beer, heaps better than cans or stubbies. 🍻😉
Yes, the glass cleaning here is very dubious. Often it seems little more than a rinse with cold water and someone's dirty hands all over it. Some places have detergent and hot water. I can't remember ever seeing a proper glass washer that you see in every pub on the UK where the glasses come out almost too hot to handle (and sterilised to a large extent).

As for pipe cleaning, I doubt many places do it properly and it shows.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

IMHO (and after extensive research), draught beer is around 3.5% alcohol compared to the cans and bottles at 5%. I like to drink it if I will be drinking a lot because I don't get so drunk so quickly. Also you often get short measures with draught.
As for taste, IMHO the best draught is Cambodia, Anchor is OK.But draught goes off so you need to drink in a bar with rapid turnover.
For cans, I find Beer Lao , decanted into a glass and with lime squeezed into it is a fine drink.
As for price, draught beer is much the cheapest for the bar to buy (about $0.25 taking into account all the promotions) but some bars now price it the same as cans which is a bit cheeky.
Cheers.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:23 am
Yes, the glass cleaning here is very dubious. Often it seems little more than a rinse with cold water and someone's dirty hands all over it. Some places have detergent and hot water. I can't remember ever seeing a proper glass washer that you see in every pub on the UK where the glasses come out almost too hot to handle (and sterilised to a large extent).

As for pipe cleaning, I doubt many places do it properly and it shows.
One bar owner told me the brewery comes weekly to clean the pipes.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

armchairlawyer wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:24 am IMHO (and after extensive research), draught beer is around 3.5% alcohol compared to the cans and bottles at 5%. I like to drink it if I will be drinking a lot because I don't get so drunk so quickly. Also you often get short measures with draught.
As for taste, IMHO the best draught is Cambodia, Anchor is OK.But draught goes off so you need to drink in a bar with rapid turnover.
For cans, I find Beer Lao , decanted into a glass and with lime squeezed into it is a fine drink.
As for price, draught beer is much the cheapest for the bar to buy (about $0.25 taking into account all the promotions) but some bars now price it the same as cans which is a bit cheeky.
Cheers.
My friend said that figure, 3.5%. I hope to god it is not true because I seem to be getting pissed perfectly well on the draft. Maybe I need a few sessions on the cans and to make a judgement.

Here goes... :beer3:
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:34 am
armchairlawyer wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:24 am IMHO (and after extensive research), draught beer is around 3.5% alcohol compared to the cans and bottles at 5%. I like to drink it if I will be drinking a lot because I don't get so drunk so quickly. Also you often get short measures with draught.
Cheers.
My friend said that figure, 3.5%. I hope to god it is not true because I seem to be getting pissed perfectly well on the draft. Maybe I need a few sessions on the cans and to make a judgement.

Here goes... :beer3:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I think that if you are selling draft for 50 cents a glass, short-cuts are in order. I have no proof but have always heard that kegs are cheaper if they are close/past the due date. There was at least one place on Pub Street that I suspected of watering down their beer. And obviously, detergent and glass washing machines cost money; a bucket with 3 inches of tepid water will have to do.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Yerg wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:40 am I found draft weak too. Preferred cans. Just remember to give the top a bloody good clean before you drink out of the can.
How would you do that? Give it a wipe with a tissue? Won't get rid of anything.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic