Worried about 2 British travellers in Cambodia - advice needed

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
MarlaMitelman
Tourist
Great Britain

Worried about 2 British travellers in Cambodia - advice needed

Post by MarlaMitelman »

My sister and her daughter (45 and 23) are travelling in Siem Reap and have been there since June.

I am worried because they left their place of accommodation of 2 months, with an unknown man one night a few days ago and I’ve not heard from them since. They are normally quite active on WhatsApp but I haven’t heard anything from them for 7 days and I’m now worried.

I have contacted the British consulate which opens tomorrow And I have reached out to people who have interacted with them on Instagram recently, but any advice you may have for me would be very much appreciated.

I am based in Sydney.

Thank you so much, Marla
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Worried about 2 British travellers in Cambodia - advice needed

Post by Jerry Atrick »

If you last heard from them 7 days ago, how do you know that they left with an "unknown" man a few nights ago?
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

Marla,
We've had huge rains the past three days in Siem Reap but where I'm at we've only lost power once for a few hours and things in town are generally fine. Other than that nothing out of the ordinary.

What hotel were they staying at? If they decided to travel to another city it wouldn't be unusual for their hotel to arrange a driver.

IF you could provide a bit more detail it would be helpful. There aren't many travelers here currently and certainly not since June. I assume they have been in Cambodia for several months? As no tourist visas are being issued currently and they would have had to arrive in March to get one. Is there a gym they have been going to or regular restaurant, etc etc. Its tough to say much without more information.

Regards,
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

MarlaMitelman wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:17 pm My sister and her daughter (45 and 23) are travelling in Siem Reap and have been there since June.

I am worried because they left their place of accommodation of 2 months, with an unknown man one night a few days ago and I’ve not heard from them since. They are normally quite active on WhatsApp but I haven’t heard anything from them for 7 days and I’m now worried.

I have contacted the British consulate which opens tomorrow And I have reached out to people who have interacted with them on Instagram recently, but any advice you may have for me would be very much appreciated.

I am based in Sydney.

Thank you so much, Marla
I suggest you post names and pictures if you want any meaningful help with a sighting.
MarlaMitelman
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by MarlaMitelman »

[UPDATED WITH IMAGE]
Thank you for your replies, here’s some additional details.

Michelle Moore (45) and Kyrah Moore (23). I can’t find where to add an image to this post, so this is Kyrah’s instagram
https://www.instagram.com/kyrahmmoore/

They have been in Siem Reap since about March / April time. They had a falling out with their travelling friend in late May and have been on their own since then but still in Siem Reap.

For the benefit of Jerry, this is the chronology of events which may make this simpler to follow.

* I send them money every week for their accommodations and expenses. Last $ sent on Friday, normally picked up within 2-4 hours and normally they reply thank you. No reply and money still uncollected. They have been stranded there since June and I have been transferring them cash so I am their only source of income as far as I know.
* The last message i had from them directly on WhatsApp was on 10th September.
* They were staying at Villa Plumeria. I called the Villa today and spoke to the manager who tells me they left with a Belgian man after a fight between a few people at the villa on Friday evening (18th September). The manager tells me the man returned the next day and stayed the night at the villa or spent a few hours there (this was in French and my French is not great) and he’s not seen either the man or them since.

I am reaching out to the Ex Pat groups on Facebook to post a message there and see what I can find too.

This is all the information I have to date - thank you all for your help so far.
Last edited by MarlaMitelman on Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.
MarlaMitelman
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by MarlaMitelman »

Thanks - image embedded now.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

Try joining the Kampot noticeboard, seems a lot of expats are in Kampot these days due to this coronavirus from what I've heard and based on that sole photo it could be the kinda place they enjoy as it's quite a chilled expat community with plenty of people knocking about with similar styles/looks (or it was so when I was there)

https://m.facebook.com/groups/299609383 ... le_browser

Think there's some Q to answer when joining but googling the question or asking on here will give the answer, it's more an anti spam thing.

Good luck
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

Marla,
I know where the villa is. Its on the highway out of town towards the airport one block off Route 6. I would assume they did their grocery shopping at the large Angkor Market grocery store (which is also on Route 6) or at a couple of the smaller minimarts off Route 6 (Angkor Market is 1.5 kilometers from the villa).

My wife and I actually have been out in town twice this month at night but I did not see anyone looking like your sister (for that matter when we walked down Pub Street one night with neighbors there literally wasn't anyone to be seeing aside from a few bored tuk tuk drivers). From the photo you posted it looks like they spent at least some of their time at expat related restaurants/bars - my wife and I frequent local Khmer restaurants when we go out.

I do know a few of the restaurant owners in town. Currently my wife is visiting her mother so I'm a bit tied down with the kids. Once she returns I would have no issue asking them if they knew anything of your sister and her daughter. Is there anything else you can share as it relates to their normal activities?

I would suggest that the facebook groups might be a better avenue to post her photo on the chance someone recognizes her. I think there are more younger and socially active folks in those groups.

Sorry I don't have anything of real value to add.

Regards,
MarlaMitelman
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by MarlaMitelman »

TWY, Thank you so so much that would be amazing when you’re able to do that and it would be a huge help, I’m not able to leave Australia as our borders are still closed due to Covid otherwise I’d be thinking about getting on a flight to come look for them. Not sure Cambodia is even letting people into the country though.

I’ve requested to join a few Facebook groups and will post the same there too as soon as I am accepted as a member.
Thanks for your offer of asking around and you’ve been very helpful thank you again so much.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic