Have many businesses closed because of covid ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
jubo2
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by jubo2 »

hello,

What do you think ?

Cheers.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Have many businesses closed because of covid ?

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Yes
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Yes, thousands of them have closed, especially in areas which depended on tourism. There are many vacant buildings around too. Somehow my area of the city doesn't seem to have been affected too much.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:17 am Yes, thousands of them have closed, especially in areas which depended on tourism. There are many vacant buildings around too. Somehow my area of the city doesn't seem to have been affected too much.
Brassac?
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
peter.john
Tourist

Post by peter.john »

lots in Siem Reap have closed
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Throughout the whole world anything to do with tourism and related businesses are affected
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

whatwat wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:38 am
John Bingham wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:17 am Yes, thousands of them have closed, especially in areas which depended on tourism. There are many vacant buildings around too. Somehow my area of the city doesn't seem to have been affected too much.
Brassac?
I don't know what Brassac is. I don't live anywhere near the city center.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Many tourist driven business' have closed but many more are hanging on by their fingertips. Eventually the owners will either run out of money or run out of desire to keep funding the losses (with no end in sight). I know of a few that I doubt will still be open come the new year.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Most certainly business have closed due to the overall effect of Covid19. Such likes of business who rely on the tourist trade, foreign run restaurants for example who cater mainly on western food and drink for western tourists visiting the capital city of Phnom Penh, with borders closed and very few flights arriving, only some kind of visa available, but no tourist visas. I would say would have a large impact too business owners. I have known of one personally that has been open for a long time, the owner tells me the landlord is ignoring their request for any disscount on rent, although others renting from the same landlord had been granted discounts long ago, but other tenants are of Khmer ($1300) is paid per month in this case, and some days fail in having any customers. Also many foreign business have very limited chance of owning the building unlike the Khmer counterpart they maybe in compertition with. But yes, there are many vacant buildings around the city and that mostly of Khmer run business with knock on effects to their lack of customers. Such has tuk-tuk drivers without the tourist trade may only have a quarter of previous incomes, and they are not spending in Khmer establishments.
The main beneficiaries are the Chinese who have been flying in daily and encouraged too invest, you will see areas, such has BKK and Tuol Tumpoung, with its new Chinese restaurants and mini supermarkets.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

peter.john wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:23 am lots in Siem Reap have closed
Or are only just hanging on thanks to reduced rents:

October 19, 2020
Siem Reap’s Old Market stall owners given a lifeline
Owners of market stalls at Siem Reap’s Old Market have been given a lifeline to help them to stay open at a time when it is needed the most.

Some market stall owners have been given a discount on their rent of up to 75 percent in the hope that it will keep their businesses alive.

Siem Reap’s Old Market (locally known as Phsar Chaa) is a tourist-aimed market stocked with many items such as silverware, silk, wood carvings, Buddhas, paintings, notes and coins, T-shirts, table mats, food and more.

This year, however, the market saw a huge decline in people visiting because of the dreaded COVID-19 and the lack of tourists. Stall owners have reported a drop in revenue of up to 80 percent, this has caused multiple stall owners to pack up and close their beloved businesses forever.

Because of this, the market has now started to drop the price of rents in the hope of keeping the market alive.

Market stall owner, Srey Neang, said: “This year has been very tough for businesses in Siem Reap. Here at the Old Market we have seen our sales drop by around 80 percent, We see a rise in business at weekends and public holidays through domestic tourism but that is still not enough.”

“Luckily I have had my rent dropped down from $800 per month to $200. This has helped me so much because if this was not introduced I would have had to have closed my business."
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50775375/2 ... -relocate/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic