Have many businesses closed because of covid ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Have many businesses closed because of covid ?

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Sambodia wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:34 am Have any hotels closed yet? I haven't heard of any, but suspect its only a matter of time.
October 23, 2020
Hotels and guesthouse owners want more relief
Jason Boken / Khmer Times

The Cambodian government has given tax breaks to several sectors this year in a bid to try to help offset losses caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. One of those included is tourism-related businesses. But hotels across the Kingdom are still struggling. If things don’t change soon, many hotel owners say they see no other option but to close.

In February this year tax relief was rolled out to hotels and guesthouses across Siem Reap province because of the dreaded COVID-19 and lack of tourism that it brought with it. Then, as the months passed, borders stayed closed as the pandemic continued to cause havoc across the world, in turn pushing the government to give tax relief to tourism-based businesses across the country as an essential part of one of the pillar industries.

The tax relief is helping businesses throughout the country. However, many businesses report that it is still a drop in the ocean in the grand scheme of things because they are still (in some cases) having to pay full rents and they aren’t receiving any custom.

Remi Dee, general manager of Villa Langka Hotel in Phnom Penh, said: “We are grateful that the government was able to give us tax relief and they have also told us that our tourism licence for 2021 will be free. However, the government recommended that landlords should help tenants in the tourism industry by decreasing rent prices and not all landlords are following these recommendations.”

“Our hotel is split into two. This means that we have two separate landlords and two different contracts. One of those landlords is giving us a 30 percent discount on the rent and has done since April. The other landlord refuses to help us at all. We have met them and asked for help several times yet they still refuse to give any discount even after 10 years of paying our rent on time.”

Hotel and guesthouse owners are crying out for more help. They are still open and paying their overheads but without any check-ins because it is a struggle for people to get into the country.

“The government could help us by allowing people in for business purposes without big deposits. For sure, mass tourism won’t be back for a long time but before COVID-19, 25 percent of our guests were here for business anyway. We have also had some discount on our electricity bills but that only equated to a few dollars. More discounts would be appreciated because we are still open and selling rooms at a very low rate so our incomes have drastically been reduced but our expenses are still very high.”

He added: “Put it this way: Before the pandemic, I was in charge of three hotels. Two have already closed. The third one can still survive for another year but only with a lot of effort and help from landlords and the government.”
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50776239/h ... re-relief/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

timmydownawell wrote:Meanwhile I notice some stalls at Orussey that vacated around March and remain empty. And Orussey's not even a tourist market. Apart from that I haven't noticed a big downturn apart from the restaurants, bars and tourist-related business.
Missus says that high end clothing stores in her area have closed. Some stalls at the local market, too. So the local Khmer are definitely hurting.

The used clothing stalls seem to be doing fine, however.

But I’d be hesitant about paying to wear someone’s stained underwear. Or clothes from someone who died recently.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:01 pm
timmydownawell wrote:Meanwhile I notice some stalls at Orussey that vacated around March and remain empty. And Orussey's not even a tourist market. Apart from that I haven't noticed a big downturn apart from the restaurants, bars and tourist-related business.
Missus says that high end clothing stores in her area have closed. Some stalls at the local market, too. So the local Khmer are definitely hurting.

But I’d be hesitant about paying to wear someone’s stained underwear. Or clothes from someone who died recently.
NKOTB.
Please read below.

pretentious

adjective
attempting to impress by affecting greater importance or merit than is actually possessed.

TOP DEFINITION
prick
Worse than a douche and jerk combined. A guy who thinks they know everything but in reality they're stupid hypocrates

aka pretentious prick.

not everyone can afford to be choosy about clothing they purchase and how do you know second hand undies would be stained. And recently deceased persons clothing as opposed to "been dead awhile" clothing. ffs
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Arget wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:47 pm

NKOTB.
Please read below.

pretentious

adjective
attempting to impress by affecting greater importance or merit than is actually possessed.

TOP DEFINITION
prick
Worse than a douche and jerk combined. A guy who thinks they know everything but in reality they're stupid hypocrates

aka pretentious prick.

not everyone can afford to be choosy about clothing they purchase and how do you know second hand undies would be stained. And recently deceased persons clothing as opposed to "been dead awhile" clothing. ffs
:thumb: :thumb:

2nd hand Luxury clothes / hand bags is a big online business
am sure some of the clothes come from dead people, ( same goes for salvation army / red cross shops
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:01 pm...Or clothes from someone who died recently.
Unless the clothes caused the death I don't really see the issue
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

cautious colin wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:25 pm
newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:01 pm...Or clothes from someone who died recently.
Unless the clothes caused the death I don't really see the issue
Yeah, they get washed. I've always been into second hand shops.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

[/quote]
Wise words, you don’t want to risk catching skidmarks from a pair of haunted underpants?
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Mormon underpants should be safe from haunting.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I went to Pencil with Mrs Cargo last week and we noticed many shops there have since closed/empty. These are not high end stores...target market mainly younger fashions.

Restaurants on Riverside doing it tough. Mrs Cargo on reduced wages, her boss negotiating with the landlord for rent reduction barely covering costs. Some hotels in the area closed...last I looked Harmony was closed and the Ohana opposite being renovated. Others offering up to 50% discount.

Seeing quite a few shop fronts with For Rent signs cropping up. Hostess bars generally seem to have many girls with too few customers.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

In Japan people pay good money for stained underwear.Image
up to you...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic