Where is all the money coming from? Property market

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Where is all the money coming from? Property market

Post by daeum_tnaot »

A few weeks ago I was looking at property on Khmer 24 and the prices seem totally outrageous. Especially in Phnom Penh. For a developing country, the living conditions in Phnom Penh, and also the rents a potential buy er can actually collect, it seems that property values are really inflated. Which makes me wonder, where is all the money coming from to support these prices?

A few obvious theories include the Chinese investors, other rich Asian investors, wealthy Khmer who got their money from informal sources, or logging, similar cash rich sources.

Despite these ideas it seems hard to follow that this would lead to the amount of cash sufficient to drive up prices this much, Especially if you consider that there are a huge volume of new apartments coming online in Phnom Penh through high rise construction, as well as new Borei type settlements.

Anyone have any knowledge of what's going on with this? It seems unreal how high the property prices are.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Where is all the money coming from? Property market

Post by John Bingham »

The prices of borey units is ridiculous. I've been around quite a few because a friend supplies materials to them. They are thrown up in no time, and often have what appears to be a good finish, but when you take a close look it's not so. Unfilled gaps, badly fitted trim, plaster/paint on fittings etc. They only come with short, maybe 3 year, warranties. You could easily pay $300,000 for a unit in some remote edge of the province. So the roads are all terrible, the place is next to an industrial park or empty lot/ swamp covered in garbage, there are no amenities nearby etc. It's crazy, you could get a very nice well-built house outside the capital city in most western countries for that price. The commute wouldn't matter so much as the road systems are usually very good, and there is often efficient public transport. And you'd be surrounded by trees, parks, lawns etc, not some garbage-strewn wasteland.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Some of the prices in the provincial cities are equally outrageous, or even more so, considering that there are no (proper) hospitals, no airports, no shops to speak of, and the roads are shite.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

The previous posts nail it. I'll add my unstructured thoughts.

All markets are capable of behaving irrationally (I recommend reading The Misbehaviour of Markets by Benoit Mandelbrot). Perfect examples in the stock market now being NKLA and TSLA. In the West, residential real estate markets are primarily affected by the cost of borrowing - and that has been super cheap since 2008 and thus there has been massive price inflation.

In the same period, a psychology has developed globally whereby real estate is seen as a one way bet. In China, the government controls the markets and has ensured that prices don't go down. That has led to very high prices in China and their people to see Cambodian prices as good value,and with the added benefit of being priced in USD which gives them a FX hedge.
Low end rents in Cambodia have been drifting up in the same time period. Whenever the minimum wage rises, the rents around the factories famously go up in equal measure so the workers get no benefit.

Cambodians have started to see buying real estate as a one way bet and as a hedge against rising rents (although that is not actually happening in the mid and upper sectors). In addition, mortgage loans have become widely available for the first time. They have high rates but Cambodians have no comparators because it's a new market. Developers have a lot of units to sell so they have made their own loans available, something that the NBC has highlighted as dangerous. Many Cambodians have sold land at a nice price to Chinese buyers and have cash from that.

Most of the new build houses and (especially) condos will not be occupied for a while, either because they don't get finished, or they get finished and don't get sold, or they get sold but not occupied because the buyer is absentee and the rent is unaffordable or unattractive, given the location and/or the condition of the unit.

The market for high end condos has collapsed in NYC (e.g. the Hudson Yards development) but the market for suburban and exurban houses is red hot. That is driven by low loan rates out to 30 years and strict building controls, neither of which apply so much in Cambodia.

The global appetite for overseas property investment is bound to be affected by Covid travel restrictions. Think of all those buyers of units in Phuket that they cannot access or even let out.

I know a successful Khmer real estate investor and he is only buying land in the provinces atm, paying $5 psm maximum, often less than $1. Meanwhile building plots in secondary locations are being sold for $100 psm. This discrepancy can occur in the West due to severe control over building permits but is hard to justify here.

Nobody ever knows what any market will do in the future, all one can do is look at the facts and assess the probabilities. In the absence of low loan rates and the ability of people to afford the level of rents that the new developments are demanding, one has to be a little bit cautious.
Strawberryshake
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Strawberryshake »

Highly overpriced since I always base purchase price on estimated rental returns. Chinese investors and Chinese developers certainly have increased the market-prices purely based on the fact that chinese realestate in china is more expensive. Nowadays even spain, Portugal is cheaper and with better returns , materials and better labor. Even in Shihanoukville i seen http://www.airapartments.asia/ units of 30 sqm for 75000 usd in an open field that will have blocked views from all angles within 5 years of time. I think most are buyers with money who don’t trust banks so they rather invest it in a condo regardless the returns.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Strawberryshake wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:36 pm Highly overpriced since I always base purchase price on estimated rental returns. Chinese investors and Chinese developers certainly have increased the market-prices purely based on the fact that chinese realestate in china is more expensive. Nowadays even spain, Portugal is cheaper and with better returns , materials and better labor. Even in Shihanoukville i seen http://www.airapartments.asia/ units of 30 sqm for 75000 usd in an open field that will have blocked views from all angles within 5 years of time. I think most are buyers with money who don’t trust banks so they rather invest it in a condo regardless the returns.
How about money laundering?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I've often discussed this with friends and could only come to the same conclusion.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

In Oz there are a number if fiscal distortions that have caused "Australia's greatest public policy failure" ie, housing affordability.
The main ones being -

Capital Gains Tax exemptions.
Negative Gearing; where you can deduct your interest payments for investment properties from your taxable income from other sources.
Banking policies; where buyers of investment properties pay lower interest rates than owner-occupiers.

Result - The rich get richer (the intended purpose) and home ownership is now extremely difficult for those entering the market - even on very good, middle class duel incomes.

But none of these factors would seem to be present in Cambodia.
??

PS, Kamm ^^ has hit one big nail on the head for sure; dodgy money washed, normalised and most importantly - now safe.
That is probably relatively small beer in the West, but likely to be a major factor in the market here.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:19 pm The prices of borey units is ridiculous. I've been around quite a few because a friend supplies materials to them. They are thrown up in no time, and often have what appears to be a good finish, but when you take a close look it's not so. Unfilled gaps, badly fitted trim, plaster/paint on fittings etc. They only come with short, maybe 3 year, warranties. You could easily pay $300,000 for a unit in some remote edge of the province. So the roads are all terrible, the place is next to an industrial park or empty lot/ swamp covered in garbage, there are no amenities nearby etc. It's crazy, you could get a very nice well-built house outside the capital city in most western countries for that price. The commute wouldn't matter so much as the road systems are usually very good, and there is often efficient public transport. And you'd be surrounded by trees, parks, lawns etc, not some garbage-strewn wasteland.
Never seen the Boreis up close but not surprised at what you said. And agree that the location, combined with a "no man's land" environment, bad roads, makes you wonder what's the reason for the price. From my view I'd rather buy property in my home country than Phnom Penh.

One difference though- in a western country you'd have to pay property tax, but do people here have to pay a property tax yet?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:37 pm One difference though- in a western country you'd have to pay property tax, but do people here have to pay a property tax yet?
I believe you do as one of my friends is an old guy who is in charge of property tax for a large district here. I'm not sure at all how it works. There's a capital gains tax coming in soon too.
Also many of these borey companies hold the hard title to the land themselves and only sell customers the soft title. Apparently many only need a $30,000 deposit, but then the monthly
payment scheme is heavy and if you default they aren't shy about reclaiming the place either. I have heard there have been a huge amount of defaults in recent times.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic