How do I cure my better half’s fear of cats?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

How do I cure my better half’s fear of cats?

Post by newkidontheblock »

There’s a cat who’s been coming to missus’ home asking for food from time to time. Picky eater. Doesn’t eat spoiled food, or rice. Only freshly cooked meat, especially fish. Doesn’t eat the bones.

So when kitty shows up, she cooks it some food.

Now that everyone’s left for Pchum Ben, my better half’s all alone.

And now kitty is outside the door of her room, terrorizing her for food. She’s even afraid to go out to take a shower.

Missus has always been afraid of cats. And afraid of being completely alone. Her place is separated from the landlord’s place by a big open stairwell. Always noisy. From the sound of kids’ cries and screams to the landlord yelling at them can be clearly heard. Kids come up to play with her to the landlord wanting her to chauffeur the kids and take her shopping.

The cat is now trapping her in the kitchen.

Any suggestions of curing her fear of cats and of being alone?

explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: How do I cure my better half’s fear of cats?

Post by explorer »

Is the concern over hygiene? Animals in Cambodia can carry a lot of germs. I normally avoid touching them. More so with dogs.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Cat looks healthy enough, not like a stray cat at all. If your wife would stop feeding it, it will go back to its owners. Shut the door.
Signed A Catlover

However, I get a feeling that this is not the main problem. Why doesn't your wife live with a friend or a family member if she doesn't like to be alone ? IME most Cambodians don't like to live alone. How come her parents haven't moved in ? Or a girlfriend ? That would be more normal and she would have company.
What about getting a dog ? Then you would fix both problems.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Suggested that she shoo the cat away with a broom. But the cat is hissing and screeching all angry like.
Maybe related to all the traveling souls at this time?

She’s afraid the cat is gonna jump over the broomstick and take swipe at her.

And yeah, kitty is too spoiled to be a khmer street cat. Or even Khmer. Maybe a foreigner has gone back to the province with his wife and let kitty roam?

(Stole it from another topic.)
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

As Anchor Moy noted above, if you feed cats they will keep coming back.

Stop feeding the cat and it will go elsewhere.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Read something about indirect communication in SE Asia. Your 'better half' might be mentioning a cat, but the story she wants to bring across isn't really about the cat I think.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

If someone fed me, I’d go back. If someone seeks to prod me with a broom, I get a bit cranky.
Have I already been reincarnated as a cat? I have always, from an early age, wanted to be a cat.

I’d say her newfound pussy would just like a bit of care and attention. The occasional stroke. Encourage her not to abuse it while she’s alone.
Sir Stephen
Expatriate
France

Post by Sir Stephen »

Can't blame her, those pussies can be pretty scary..

ImageImageImageImage
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Kitty is back. Settled into the front room. Waiting to be fed again. Missus tried cake. The cat doesn’t care for cake.

This is what kitty wants. Missus’ freshly made dinner.

After having her fill, kitty has stopped making threatening sounds.

Picky kitty.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Toxoplasmosis can affect humans such that they take more risks. So the longer she is exposed to the cat the more likely she'll pick up an infestation and thus she will no longer be afraid. It's a win-win.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic