How do I cure my better half’s fear of cats?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: How do I cure my better half’s fear of cats?

Post by Pizzalover »

or: establish set meal hours. The cat will learn when it is time for dinner and wait patiently for its share.

Just walked down the street close to riverside. Saw a young cat showing a mouse the exit door from the planet. Cats are a good precaution against rodents. Near O'Russei the rats entered stairways from the roofs. I had picked up some kittens at the time and their presence kept my floor free of the beasts.

When I rent a house some respectable neighborhood cat usually shows up within a day or two. Inspects the new arrival and subleases the property to herself unless I already picked up some stray kitten. Effective protection from rodents and to some extent also from snakes. They also reduce waste by eliminating chicken skin, bones and other items I dont eat. In sum, a good symbiosis for all involved.

The PP cat shelter has many deserving animals in search of a new home. They come healthy, vaccinated etc. A small donation would be a good idea.

At least one person on this thread is in desperate need of a psychiatrist. He is surely an individual to be avoided.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I put sharpened chop sticks and wooden skewers around my plants to stop cats mucking them up. Sort of like punji spikes, you can use a pencil sharpener to make a nice point. Just be careful not to fall on them.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:53 pm A wet mop will also be very effective to repel the cat should it want a bit of pay back.
Works with Sun Bears too, "Asia's most dangerous animal"
That's what they use at Phnom Tamao to wrangle the bears around in the inner enclosures when they want to clean them.

So carry a wet mop whenever you go hiking and big slabs of the best parts of Cambodia will now be available for your enjoyment in absolute perfect safety.
And you are saying they are good for the tigers too, eh Doc?
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

An Alf would be perfect. Furry, chatty, eats cats for a living. Try Olympic market.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

khmerhamster wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:32 am
She has chosen to live by herself, it isn’t difficult to find a housemate.
You must have missed this bit
newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:08 pm Now that everyone’s left for Pchum Ben, my better half’s all alone.
:hattip:
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Username Taken wrote:
newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:08 pm Now that everyone’s left for Pchum Ben, my better half’s all alone.
Yes, I did.
Thank you so much for your assistance. Suddenly all is well.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

khmerhamster wrote:
Username Taken wrote:
Yes, I did.
I suggested that she not go back to the village during Pchum Ben and instead wait for 10 days afterwards. Villagers mass gather at temple and catch whatever virus is going around. They pass the virus for the next 10 days.

Right now she’s super bored and lonely. It’s rare that she’s been alone for days on end. I suggested buying honey from Sinus as a relief from boredom.

So yeah, it’s my fault. Maybe kitty is celestial punishment.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:48 pm
Doc67 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:53 pm A wet mop will also be very effective to repel the cat should it want a bit of pay back.
Works with Sun Bears too, "Asia's most dangerous animal"
That's what they use at Phnom Tamao to wrangle the bears around in the inner enclosures when they want to clean them.

So carry a wet mop whenever you go hiking and big slabs of the best parts of Cambodia will now be available for your enjoyment in absolute perfect safety.
And you are saying they are good for the tigers too, eh Doc?
I wouldn't try that personally, but if you do please please make a video :D
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:42 am
khmerhamster wrote:
Username Taken wrote:
Yes, I did.
I suggested that she not go back to the village during Pchum Ben and instead wait for 10 days afterwards. Villagers mass gather at temple and catch whatever virus is going around. They pass the virus for the next 10 days.

Right now she’s super bored and lonely. It’s rare that she’s been alone for days on end. I suggested buying honey from Sinus as a relief from boredom.

So yeah, it’s my fault. Maybe kitty is celestial punishment.
Your poor wife. All becomes clear. of course she is miserable. I hope you told her that it's all for her own good that she stays at home alone while everyone else is out having fun. :nono:
You do realise that if the other family members in the house catch the virus in the village, they will bring it back to Phnom Penh, so your wife could be exposed anyway ?
RikuPontinen888
Expatriate
Finland

Post by RikuPontinen888 »

Maybe because it is almost black?
Tell it's good luck & everything might be ok.
There is 100% black-cat i see in home-town mostly in night, maybe even two, crossing roads etc.
Always good luck for me.
You must know Khmers on sourcery? 😃
Then spray bottle with lemon and/or specially lemongrass is another good option.
Then, electric-fly-slap-trap on nosetip IF it really must go go in the end, nothing too cruel.
Yo Yo Yo, It`s Me. That Cambodian Punk Rocker. Famous ASF in the Cambodian Hoooood.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic