How do I cure my better half’s fear of cats?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Re: How do I cure my better half’s fear of cats?

Post by rozzieoz »

Poor kitty :(
If she really wants to feed it she should buy some dry cat food. Lots of things we eat are poison to cats (including onions and garlic) so she can't give it what she eats. They either need plain protein (fish, chicken, meat) or some dry cat food.
She's better off getting a water spray bottle and chasing it away every time she sees it. Cats who get fed don't leave.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:18 am She feeds the cat
she shoos the cat away
"Kitty is back. Settled into the front room."
Nuke - a little secret

Just like all americans do not think like texans
and all humans do not think like americans and cambodians
- not all species think like Homo sapien

Do you want to understand what is going on with the cat - or do you and your better half just want to impose your way of thinking onto the poor cat's behaviour?

Listen to what people are saying -
It is somebody else's cat for a start
If you feed the cat it will come to expect that
You are sending it very mixed messages
You are upsetting the natural order of the universe as the cat understands it
The cat is not your human friend dropping in for dinner, some affection and a bit of polite conversation.

If you want to keep mucking with the poor cats mind - go ahead, but it is both unkind to the cat, and false hopes you hold for your relationship with it..
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Yes, it is quite simple don't feed it if you don't want it, if it comes around again hit it with the broom.
Feed it and make it welcome and it will more than likely move in.
I had the problems with a cat climbing though the window and getting food from where it could, even that of the waste bin under the sink, problem apart from didn't know where it may have have slept and so on, it started to spray marking it's territory. I like cat's but had too shu the fellow away.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

Kick it out. If it doesn't respond to this feed it some poison and kill it.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

She isn’t scared of cats. She is probably being overly dramatic in search of your attention.

She has chosen to live by herself, it isn’t difficult to find a housemate. But she clearly doesn’t want to, she may be telling you that she is scared alone because she is fed up with you living so far away.

It seems to me that she is attention seeking, as most likely are you.
Skankykins
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Skankykins »

I certainly hope no one would ever hit a cat with a broom nor poison them.

If you know it's got another home then stop feeding it and spray it with water when it comes around. If you don't think it does have anyone to feed it then be very grateful the cat has chosen you two to be its owners.

I hope you can convince your GF - I'm positive everyone can learn to love cats. They're utterly unique. I love all animals - with the notable exception of mosquitoes - but cats win all day long over dogs: you don't have to walk the cunts; you don't have to pick up their disgusting smelling faeces; they tend not to smell; they fuck off when they've had their fill of cuddles and attention, and they can certainly be as affectionate as dogs.

I believe you can buy disposable collars and inside place a message to ask who its owners are. Good luck.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

If I meet a woman and they express a preference of cats over dogs that's a cause of mild worry. If they then go on to express a passionate love for cats that's a deal breaker right there. They aren't associated with witches for nothing.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Khmu Nation wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:16 am Kick it out. If it doesn't respond to this feed it some poison and kill it.
Finally, some sensible advice.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Suggestion for Mrs NKOTB: this has to be nipped in the bud before the pussy tom tom drums start:

Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

A well directed bucket of cold water will do the trick. And I have yet to see a Cambodian halway that wouldn't benefit from a good mopping too.

A wet mop (for the clean up) will also be very effective to repel the cat should it want a bit of pay back. Having said that, any cat that gets drenched and still wants to fight with you in another thing altogether and you may want to have a rethink.

And stop feeding the bloody thing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic