ABA Bank to Suspend Personal Internet Banking Services

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: ABA Bank to Suspend Personal Internet Banking Services

Post by samrong01 »

clutchcargo wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:42 am
Cooldude wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:28 pm I'm guessing the emails and sms messages only went out to those customers who haven't logged into their online account since June 1, 2020?
Yes, sounds like that's the case coz I hadn't logged in for ages but I do like the idea of a back up to the app nevertheless. I'm hoping they will not suspend the service on 1 Jan and the email was in error.
No not so - it went to everybody. I have definitely logged in since June and still got the messages. However I just checked their website and the message about discontinuing iBanking from 1 January has now disappeared. I will go into the branch later today to find out the facts.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

I have now been to the bank. As with any enquiry its hopeless talking to the staff - they do not know anything. I spoke to the manager. He claimed that the service would be discontinued only for new customers from 1 January 2021. My feeling was he was making it up as he spoke. He says he will contact head office to clarify. I suggested they should send out another message clearly stating the bank's policy. Perhaps somebody in Phnom Penh should go to the head office and try and find the truth.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

The only thing common among bank staff is their good English. Most cheated on their exams or paid to pass, even after the supposed change in 2014.

Utterly useless. (Much like their overseas embassy staff)
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

Just heard back from my branch manager. He confirmed that my interpretation of the message is correct - the ibanking service will completely terminate on 1 January 2021. As per the message they want everyone to change to mobile banking. Time for me to look for another bank.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

samrong01 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:16 pm Just heard back from my branch manager. He confirmed that my interpretation of the message is correct - the ibanking service will completely terminate on 1 January 2021. As per the message they want everyone to change to mobile banking. Time for me to look for another bank.
It's a bit silly because an app can be (and often is) nothing more than a phone-optimised version of a web based system.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Get with the program lads.

Their app is infinitely better than any website platform and has been for years.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:16 pm Get with the program lads.

Their app is infinitely better than any website platform and has been for years.
It is indeed...but the problem is, as discussed already, if you are overseas and lose your phone and SIM you're fucked.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

Those of us who have joint accounts can't use the app.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:19 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:16 pm Get with the program lads.

It is indeed...but the problem is, as discussed already, if you are overseas and lose your phone and SIM you're fucked.
If I were to lose my phone overseas I would have much greater problems than not being able to use the ABA app.

I suppose a safeguarded sim card that one doesn't carry everywhere or approach your mobile provider for a duplicate simcard for redundancy in case of some shitstorm.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I originally had an ABA account but when the Wuhan virus arrived and I decided not to return to my home country, I wanted to get a back up bank for transferring money from overseas. I probably was a bit paranoid at the time but I suppose I was thinking that if I had issues with using my debit cards at ATMs (or they expired and I couldn't get replacements), I would have to rely on transferring money using services like Transferwise (or Audsmart for aussies).

Anyway, I opened an account with Acleda and in addition to the their Toanchet app, they gave me website banking access with an OTP dongle (token?) for when I'm overseas where presumably I wouldn't necessarily need to use my phone. Albeit they charge 50c/month ($6/year) for that facility. Not that I've been able to use it given I'm 'stuck' here but nevertheless a handy back up for the future. Maybe Acleda will be more reluctant to suspend the website facility given they charge for it. And the OTP dongle gets over the phone/sim card issue.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic