Rumour Cambodia will get rid of 1 and 5 dollar notes?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Rumour Cambodia will get rid of 1 and 5 dollar notes?

Post by timmydownawell »

Well I have definitely noticed I am no longer getting small US notes back in change anywhere and haven't for a few weeks. Lucky checkout chicks have to use a calculator to work out the change now, because the register will say $36 plus some riel, and they need to be reprogrammed to say $30 plus some riel.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

timmydownawell wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:13 pm Well I have definitely noticed I am no longer getting small US notes back in change anywhere and haven't for a few weeks. Lucky checkout chicks have to use a calculator to work out the change now, because the register will say $36 plus some riel, and they need to be reprogrammed to say $30 plus some riel.
They use a calculator to get change from a $10 for $9 goods anyway.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
Stiliko
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Stiliko »

timmydownawell wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:13 pm Well I have definitely noticed I am no longer getting small US notes back in change anywhere and haven't for a few weeks. Lucky checkout chicks have to use a calculator to work out the change now, because the register will say $36 plus some riel, and they need to be reprogrammed to say $30 plus some riel.
I’m noticing the same thing. So far nobody’s refused to accept the small bills though. I suppose it’ll only be a matter of time.
she was quite pretty and looked older
she knew only what had been told her
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Everywhere in Kampot or PP has taken them from me again for over 2 weeks, after a few yippy weeks.

Panik over
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

I haven't needed to try and pass any off because nobody's giving them to me any more. They must have shipped a massive quantity of them back to the US. Job well done, I guess.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I'm getting a bit tired of all these 100 riel notes I'm getting in change now...
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:17 pm I'm getting a bit tired of all these 100 riel notes I'm getting in change now...
Me too. I just don't know where they come from. They just kind of build up in your wallet and before you know it you've got 20 of them. Trying to spend them is often greeted with wide eyes and a look of disbelief. What do other people do with them? I can't be the only one to offload a wad of them from time to time.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

I pass them off to the guy that tops up the air in my bike tyres. And if something costs x500 riel, I sometimes chuck in five of them.
Feelgood
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Feelgood »

Got sick and tired of being short changed so now buy riel and pay mostly with riel
Makes sense though, getting rid of those notes as they were very dirty.
Just hope they don't start using Chinese yuan. Rather use dirty dollars than CY.
The dirtiest notes I have ever used were Kenyan shillings. Felt like they were under someones armpit for years, then stuck up somebody's ass for same. Ha ha
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50770277/n ... knote-fee/

NBC still accepting 1s and 5s with no charge. But banks replacing them with riel in their ATMs. Tthey're replacing the 10s with riel also.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic