Thief Steals Dead Man's Motorbike After Hit and Run

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Thief Steals Dead Man's Motorbike After Hit and Run

Post by newkidontheblock »

It saddens me that all Khmer are not great people. And some would stoop to the level of stealing from someone who just died. My theory is lack of parenting. I see in missus’ family. Parents checked out of the responsibility department. Kids fend for themselves. Some grew up and became good, some did not. One nephew in law got sent into a dog eat dog existence living at grandma’s. Now he’s got a real foul mouth, and a short temper whenever he comes back to the family home.

I don’t think free speech is being trumped by kowtowing to corporate sponsors on CEO. The forum exists to discuss ideas and insights. Free speech does not mean verbally abusing others, nor disparaging a person’s history (or inventing one) in order to silence any opposing ideas.

That’s the opposite of free speech.

And while I admire a poster for fessing up that he was banned, I disagree that insulting another poster is a conspiracy theory by the mods to ban him in any way. But that is my opinion.
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

DingDong wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:15 pm :plus1:
Why we hate this country
Every country has its good side and its dark side, mainly because people are flawed, they lie, cheat and steal, they commit horrendous crimes and they ignore the suffering of their victims. BUT fortunately for us as a race its a very small percentage of us who have those flaws. Mostly we want to go about our daily lives with as little difficulty as possible, some of us even help others along the way. In terms of Cambodia, it is recognised as one of the best places for retirees, and a spectacular place for tourism. So let the haters hate, as they say, opinions are like assholes, and some stink.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50764192/c ... y-country/
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Kohker
BANNED
Austria

Post by Kohker »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:41 am It saddens me that all Khmer are not great people. And some would stoop to the level of stealing from someone who just died. My theory is lack of parenting. I see in missus’ family. Parents checked out of the responsibility department. Kids fend for themselves. Some grew up and became good, some did not.
Sounds like you married into a shit family,my wife's family has one black sheep in it and the whole extended family do everything they can do guide him in the right direction.
But I also did a through search into her family before I married her.
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:41 am It saddens me that all Khmer are not great people. And some would stoop to the level of stealing from someone who just died. My theory is lack of parenting. I see in missus’ family. Parents checked out of the responsibility department. Kids fend for themselves. Some grew up and became good, some did not. One nephew in law got sent into a dog eat dog existence living at grandma’s. Now he’s got a real foul mouth, and a short temper whenever he comes back to the family home.

I don’t think free speech is being trumped by kowtowing to corporate sponsors on CEO. The forum exists to discuss ideas and insights. Free speech does not mean verbally abusing others, nor disparaging a person’s history (or inventing one) in order to silence any opposing ideas.

That’s the opposite of free speech.

And while I admire a poster for fessing up that he was banned, I disagree that insulting another poster is a conspiracy theory by the mods to ban him in any way. But that is my opinion.
I lived in New Zealand for around 30 years, and everything you say about the lack of parenting, crime, lack of morals, ignorance and poor education can just as easily be found in the Pacific Island and Maori communities, both in cities and the countryside. Doesn't mean its not a great country though. Probably exactly the same in every country - the UK is the worst possible example of this (I remember Chapeltown in Leeds in the 70s, practically a no-go area, cant imagine what its like now). I say live and let live, and if you dont agree with that, we'll take you out back and shoot you.
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

DingDong wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:15 pm Why we hate this country
If you hate this country, why are you here? Are you planning to leave?

I acknowledge a lot of things are not right in Cambodia. For example, the high crime rate, throwing trash everywhere, and not following road rules, which results in a ridiculous amount of people getting killed. etc. etc. I believe we should be honest about these things.

But I don't hate this country.

There are a lot of good people here. I have a lot of good friends.

I can also have a small positive influence.

I have been assisting students from poor families so they can get a better education. Two of them have said to me, when they have finished their studies, they want to assist students from poor families.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic