Thief Steals Dead Man's Motorbike After Hit and Run

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Thief Steals Dead Man's Motorbike After Hit and Run

Post by Tarndog »

clutchcargo wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:07 pm
DingDong wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:15 pm :plus1:
Why we hate this country
I get the gist of your sentiment on a topic like this but at the same time, suggest you speak for yourself coz this is the 3rd post you've made today that you hate this country. Not at all condoning the subjects of these particular topics but you're drawing a very long bow when you use the 'royal we' and extend the topic way further than it needs to go. Sure, there's bad shit that goes on in KOW but there are a lot of positives too...if one can see it.

Anyway, come to think of it, if you feel that way, why complain about it and not move on?
Your point about him speaking for himself sure seems to be valid, and I would argue that it would be more correct if he had changed 'we' to 'I'.

But I also think he should be encouraged to speak his mind. More and more this is becoming a forum that only tolerates a certain point of view, which is wrong to do.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

DingDong wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:15 pm Why we hate this country
Tarndog wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:49 am Your point about him speaking for himself sure seems to be valid, and I would argue that it would be more correct if he had changed 'we' to 'I'.

But I also think he should be encouraged to speak his mind. More and more this is becoming a forum that only tolerates a certain point of view, which is wrong to do.
I agree.

I agree it is not good to say, 'Why we hate this country,' without giving an intelligent reason.

I also agree, some posts are deleted, and some people are banned, because they genuinely have a different point of view. I believe, people who genuinely have a different point of view, should be allowed to express it. Within reason.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

explorer wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:15 pm
I also agree, some posts are deleted, and some people are banned, because they genuinely have a different point of view. I believe, people who genuinely have a different point of view, should be allowed to express it. Within reason.
Could you give some examples here of people banned "because they genuinely have a different point of view" ? Not because they are racist, insulting other members, or behaving like trolls ?

Of course people should be allowed to express different point of views, but when a member here posts the same thing over and over like a broken record on different threads then they kill discussion. When a good topic is derailed by personal insults that also kills discussion. Most people here on CEO have interesting things to say, and a variety of opinions makes the forum interesting. But, it is not interesting if a handful of people are repeating the same (negative) comments every time they post.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Tarndog wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:49 am
Why we hate this country
I get the gist of your sentiment on a topic like this but at the same time, suggest you speak for yourself coz this is the 3rd post you've made today that you hate this country. Not at all condoning the subjects of these particular topics but you're drawing a very long bow when you use the 'royal we' and extend the topic way further than it needs to go. Sure, there's bad shit that goes on in KOW but there are a lot of positives too...if one can see it.

Anyway, come to think of it, if you feel that way, why complain about it and not move on?
Your point about him speaking for himself sure seems to be valid, and I would argue that it would be more correct if he had changed 'we' to 'I'.

You would have preferred that he continue to post that he hates this country on more topics?

Because in the space of 15 mins he did just that on 3 separate topics and based on that, likely to continue the hate binge imo. Trolling in my book and the post was reported to the mods.

Now, he's had his say and put his point of view forward (3 times). So what's the problem?... I didn't delete the said posts but made a suggestion.

And I countered his point of view coz I think it needs to be put into perspective that some bad and dastardly acts does not maketh a whole country and its people. Not to mention that glib posts like this does not generally go down well on a Cambodia Expat Forum where many members have chosen to live here and don't appreciate continual disparaging posts of this nature.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:04 pm
Could you give some examples here of people banned "because they genuinely have a different point of view" ? Not because they are racist, insulting other members, or behaving like trolls ?

Of course people should be allowed to express different point of views, but when a member here posts the same thing over and over like a broken record on different threads then they kill discussion. When a good topic is derailed by personal insults that also kills discussion. Most people here on CEO have interesting things to say, and a variety of opinions makes the forum interesting. But, it is not interesting if a handful of people are repeating the same (negative) comments every time they post.
One example of a topic which is prevented from being discussed honestly is the Corona virus. If you were to do a survey of ordinary people in the US, Australia, the UK, and most European countries, you will find the majority of ordinary people believe their governments have not taken the best approach. If someone posts anything other then the official media propaganda on this forum, they are branded as a conspiracy theorist, and their post is put into this topic:

topic35451.html

where there are not 263 pages. Since ordinary people don't read through 263 pages, anything they have said is lost. Yet people who agree with the the official media propaganda, are allowed to start new topics about it.

I believe all points of view should be allowed to be discussed freely. I believe the forum moderator, who seems to believe the official media propaganda, is in the minority, and only allows the minority opinion to be expressed.

I believe, if people were allowed to be honest, many on this forum will say most governments have not done what is best for the people.

The point is, let there be open, honest discussion, with all reasonable points of view to be expressed,

I am wondering whether, there is some requirement to tow the official line by advertisers, or is it just that the moderator still believes what he hears on the media.

I don't know of anyone being banned on this subject, but there are others where people were banned, who genuinely had a different point of view. I don't want to spend hours searching for examples. You have one to consider.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

explorer wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:42 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:04 pm

One example of a topic which is prevented from being discussed honestly is the Corona virus. If you were to do a survey of ordinary people in the US, Australia, the UK, and most European countries, you will find the majority of ordinary people believe their governments have not taken the best approach. If someone posts anything other then the official media propaganda on this forum, they are branded as a conspiracy theorist, and their post is put into this topic:

topic35451.html

where there are not 263 pages. Since ordinary people don't read through 263 pages, anything they have said is lost. Yet people who agree with the the official media propaganda, are allowed to start new topics about it.

I believe all points of view should be allowed to be discussed freely. I believe the forum moderator, who seems to believe the official media propaganda, is in the minority, and only allows the minority opinion to be expressed.

I believe, if people were allowed to be honest, many on this forum will say most governments have not done what is best for the people.

The point is, let there be open, honest discussion, with all reasonable points of view to be expressed,

I am wondering whether, there is some requirement to tow the official line by advertisers, or is it just that the moderator still believes what he hears on the media.

I don't know of anyone being banned on this subject, but there are others where people were banned, who genuinely had a different point of view. I don't want to spend hours searching for examples. You have one to consider.
@explorer - I'd say that CEO posters here get pretty much free reign. After all, you posted this gem below, and nobody censored you or banned you for posting what most people consider (and has proved to be) to be a whacko conspiracy theory.
Post by explorer » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:16 pm
Then you listen to Elon Musk. He knows that humans have never been to the moon
Fair enough, it's kooky, but hey, it doesn't hurt anyone if you want to believe that. But posting conspiracy opinions as fact in the middle of a pandemic is not helpful. When you post your opinions as fact, then you need to back them up with a source, or otherwise just say that you are posting a "theory" that IMO blabla. But your opinion and your 'feelings' on the subject are not facts.
Even your theory that the CEO mods must have an agenda on coronavirus posts sounds a bit paranoid to me.
BUT, hey, that's MY OPINION.
:beer3:

Anyway, all this is way off topic. RIP for the man who died and lets hope that his widow/family gets the motorbike back and the thief goes to jail.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

You could start a topic: What do you really believe about Corona virus lock downs around the world. Then let people say what they really believe. There have been some people who have felt they can't express what they truly believe.

This is just one example. You could let people who genuinely have a different point of view on all of the different topics, express their point of view.

It does not matter if I am right or wrong. But it is getting bad when the only opinion allowed, is that believed by the moderator.
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

clutchcargo wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:24 pm
Tarndog wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:49 am
Why we hate this country

You would have preferred that he continue to post that he hates this country on more topics?

Because in the space of 15 mins he did just that on 3 separate topics and based on that, likely to continue the hate binge imo. Trolling in my book and the post was reported to the mods.

Now, he's had his say and put his point of view forward (3 times). So what's the problem?... I didn't delete the said posts but made a suggestion.

And I countered his point of view coz I think it needs to be put into perspective that some bad and dastardly acts does not maketh a whole country and its people. Not to mention that glib posts like this does not generally go down well on a Cambodia Expat Forum where many members have chosen to live here and don't appreciate continual disparaging posts of this nature.
I just came off another ban for, of all things, having made a reading mistake, to which I had already acknowledged and retracted the statement made in error as a result of the mistake. Yet haters, there are several, got together like a bunch of whiners and completely ignored that I had made an error and retracted the statement, and implored the CEO gods to put me in the corner with my dunce hat.

But apparently you deserve a week ban as well, because you apparently have made a reading mistake as well, and coupled the reading mistake with an inappropriate comment. Never did I say or even suggest that the individual in question should be allowed to post many messages about hating Canadia on more topics. I made a general comment that differing viewpoints should be allowed, rather than having the entire CEO membership only represent the 'Khmer are great people' narrative.

I get trolled a ton. But I could give a fuck if people agree with me or like me. My recent comments have diluted considerably from those I made a long time ago, so I find it deplorable and hilarious that I was banned for having acknowledged an error I made by skimming through a post and had made a corrective comment on a thread after it was brought to my attention, all PRIOR to the decision of giving me a time out.

So yeah, dozens of people on here could benefit from being more like me - by having thicker skin and not crying when someone says something to hurt their sensitive feelings. Remember, sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never harm me?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Back to the subject.

When someone is killed, or knocked unconscious, or seriously injured, very often Cambodians steal from them. Very often the police and fire brigade also steal from them.
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

Why we hate this country

Couldn't it be said, then, that maybe if YOU feel that way, why do YOU complain about it, and not move on just the same as YOU ask of DingDong?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic